The Student Room Group

Is it true that we english are german?

Scroll to see replies

The English are Germanic(Germanic nations being Germany, Sweden, Denmark, Sweden, England, Netherlands and part of Flanders region in Belgium, you may also consider Iceland, although they are around 40 percent Celtic, that is Germanic genetically and linguistically) and yes they are mostly German. The English people consist of mainly 3 tribes : Angles, Saxons (coming from the North West Germany) and Jutes (coming from south west Denmark). But that's the English, they were ''English'' even before they came here, the ''English'' is what you would consider those 3 Germanic tribes. But don't forget the invasion from Normandy, when England was invaded by Normans in 1066, and although they came from a region in North Western France, they are actually Danish settlers, so you still could consider them about 80% Germanic, and there is around 1 in 5 of white people living in England are Normans. The rest of the UK are natives(excluding the recent immigrants of course), that means Britons/Gaelic/Celtic, who are not a part of the Germanic family tree, although Scotland will have some Germanic in it, due to Viking raids (Scandinavian countries, being like I've said before Germanic), and northern Ireland, which was obviously invaded by the English. Welsh are pretty much 100% Natives and so is Ireland, and the majority of Scotland too.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 121
Original post by Howard
Then don't leave yourself wide open. I don't want to humiliate you.

the thing abowt this forum is its got lots o smart people in it, so its hard for me not to leave me sen wide open!
Yeah, in fact Hitler considered us similar people, and probably wouldn't have bothered invading unless we had attacked first.
Original post by YorkieLad101
as many as 80% of england are genetically anglo-saxon!

So you keep saying, without any evidence what so ever to back it up. On the other hand, I have already referenced a study that proves that the majority of Britons are genetically Basque.

Original post by YorkieLad101

how the hell would i know? me family is norman, an the normans are descended from vikings FFS! I think i know more abowt me family history than you or anyone else duz!

The Normans are descended from vikings? Are you serious? Just because the land was conquered by vikings doesn't automatically make everyone there a viking. The vast majority of Normans where Frankish. By your logic, Indians are British?
And once again, how the hell do you know that your family is Norman? Have you traced your family tree back a millenia? This I find hard to believe.
The most iconic instituition in England is the Royal Family. Who have heavy German ancestry (A quick glance at Zara Phillips and the queen herself make this accusation hard to ignore). I think that says it all............
Reply 125
Original post by pol pot noodles
The Normans are descended from vikings? Are you serious? Just because the land was conquered by vikings doesn't automatically make everyone there a viking. The vast majority of Normans where Frankish. By your logic, Indians are British?
And once again, how the hell do you know that your family is Norman? Have you traced your family tree back a millenia? This I find hard to believe.

King Rollo became the first Norman King, Robert 1 and his descendants were the Dukes of Normandy, so his followers must have become Norman to, where the hell dya think the name "Norman" comes from? It comes from "Northman", another name for Vikings!

An for the record yes i have, im a member of the English Ward family, the English name "Ward" is first found in 1130 and was a man called "Osbert de Varde" of Givendale and he was a descendant of the Norman "Fouques de Vardes"
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 126
Original post by Dr Good Manners
The most iconic instituition in England is the Royal Family. Who have heavy German ancestry (A quick glance at Zara Phillips and the queen herself make this accusation hard to ignore). I think that says it all............

i knows its funny, lol, how so many english hate germans despite the fact were ruled by germans! :biggrin:
So you keep saying, without any evidence what so ever to back it up. On the other hand, I have already referenced a study that proves that the majority of Britons are genetically Basque.

There is evidence to back it up. Take a look at haplogroups, take a look at y-chromosomes, take a look at mtDNA. Basques? Basques are a subgroup of Celtic people, and they are mainly based in North Western Spain around Vigo area.
The Normans are descendant from Vikings, and yes, that guy seems serious to me, because he is sure of his answer. They moved to the region of North Western France, that doesn't make them Latin(french for your understanding). English settlers in New Zealand do not suddenly become Maori. Even if you say they were Frankish, the franks are still a Germanic tribe, just like all of the Germanic Scandinavians besides Finland, that means the Danish Normans.
By logic, and by facts Indians are British. British is a nationality, therefore anyone, no matter what race a person is, can become British, being English is another matter, as to be English, you need to be an Angle, Saxon or a Jute.
How does he know that his family is Norman? It's hard to say wether 100% of his family is Norman, but it is very easy to tell where your roots come from all the way from the start of African migration to this day, all you need is a saliva sample, and around 200 £ to pay for the kit testing, which will be sent to you by post. There are many companies that do that, if you are interested search them online.
(edited 12 years ago)
No, but our royal family are.
Original post by LuckyChucky
There is evidence to back it up. Take a look at haplogroups, take a look at y-chromosomes, take a look at mtDNA. Basques? Basques are a subgroup of Celtic people, and they are mainly based in North Western Spain around Vigo area.

What evidence is there to back it up? You looking words up in a dictionary? I don't think so. I have already stated a report by a distinguished geneticist. What source do you have that backs up your assertation?

The Normans are descendant from Vikings, and yes, that guy seems serious to me, because he is sure of his answer.

The Normans aren't descended from Vikings, no more than Indians are descended from Britons. The Vikings didn't colonise the land, they conquered and subjugated. It doesn't matter how sure someone is of their answer, it doesn't make something that is wrong right.

They moved to the region of North Western France, that doesn't make them Latin(french for your understanding). English settlers in New Zealand do not suddenly become Maori.

See above.

Even if you say they were Frankish, the franks are still a Germanic tribe, just like all of the Germanic Scandinavians besides Finland, that means the Danish Normans.

Oh my, if you want to take that route, we're all Ethiopian. The Franks had settled in Normany for over half a millenia, spent centuries mixing with the Gallo-Romans, before invading England.

By logic, and by facts Indians are British. British is a nationality, therefore anyone, no matter what race a person is, can become British, being English is another matter, as to be English, you need to be an Angle, Saxon or a Jute.

What a load of crappy semantics. British is a nationality. British is also a race. You know I meant 'white British'. It's the same with English. There are millions of 'foreigners' who are English.

How does he know that his family is Norman? It's hard to say wether 100% of his family is Norman, but it is very easy to tell where your roots come from all the way from the start of African migration to this day, all you need is a saliva sample, and around 200 £ to pay for the kit testing, which will be sent to you by post. There are many companies that do that, if you are interested search them online.

And has he presented the results of a DNA test? Has he presented any evidence at all? No, all he has presented is he belief that he is Norman. Considering the evidence that the majority of Britons have Basque genes, I find it hard to believe that he is 'pure' Norman.
What evidence is there to back it up? You looking words up in a dictionary? I don't think so. I have already stated a report by a distinguished geneticist. What source do you have that backs up your assertation?

The Normans aren't descended from Vikings, no more than Indians are descended from Britons. The Vikings didn't colonise the land, they conquered and subjugated. It doesn't matter how sure someone is of their answer, it doesn't make something that is wrong right.

See above.

Oh my, if you want to take that route, we're all Ethiopian. The Franks had settled in Normany for over half a millenia, spent centuries mixing with the Gallo-Romans, before invading England.

What a load of crappy semantics. British is a nationality. British is also a race. You know I meant 'white British'. It's the same with English. There are millions of 'foreigners' who are English.

And has he presented the results of a DNA test? Has he presented any evidence at all? No, all he has presented is he belief that he is Norman. Considering the evidence that the majority of Britons have Basque genes, I find it hard to believe that he is 'pure' Norman.

I don't need to look anything up in the dictionary, those are the genetics that each person has, and if it's really hard for you to understand, then you are stupid, but of course we all already know that. The y-chromosome is passed to you from your father, and mtDNA from your mother's mother's family tree.
What evidence to back it up? Well for starters every single history book on the English people, that even includes the simplest GCSE history, but of course, even for you it will be too hard to understand, since your brains do not function to such capabilities. It's a well known fact, and you're a lone warrior on the field, who tries to bark with his own opinions, which have absolutely no evidence of anything, that is why you are aren't herd by anybody.
''The Normans were the people[1] who gave their name to Normandy, a region in northern France. They were descended from Norse Viking conquerors of the territory and the native population of Gallo-Roman stock'' - like this text says, they are and were Normans, the differense of colonizing and conquering wouldn't make them of a different race, so you make no sence whatsoever again. Indians cannot be descendant from Britons because they are of a different race. The Danes(Normans) came to Normandy, and then they came to England, therefore they are still Normans, just as if the Indians living in England would move to France, they would still be Indian.
See above? Yes I've seen what's above, a lot of non sence by you.
What route am I going? I am saying that Franks are a germanic tribe, just like the Norman Danes, they are a Germanic tribe too, just like the Anglo-Saxons who are Germanic too. They come from the same family tree and share the same language, where as you were saying about English being Basques, a Celtic subgroup which has no Germanic connection linguisticly nor genetically.
What a load of crap? You've just said British is a race. How can it be a race, when it has Germanic English in it, and Celtic Irish, and Indian British, and African British? I know what you ment? White British? No I don't know what you mean. So you don't consider an African or Asian who were born here British? Well let me tell you mr. BNP member, first of all I do not tolerate racists, which you are and a very stupid one, but second is how can you be white British, when Britain is a Kingdom of 4 Nations, with diverse racial backgrounds. There is no British race. For some reason you only identify white people with being British, although there are many white subgroups within the British Isles. So if a Spanish became British, he is British, but if it was a Nigerian he wasn't? Or how does it work with your sick mind?
Has he presented a DNA test? How do I know, I don't know him just like I don't know you. 1 thing I do know is that he seems to be a lot smarter. He mite have, he mite not have, since he says he knows he is Norman, then I am to incline more into him knowing his family history, rather than some stupid stranger such as yourself, who knows nothing about him, telling him what his family tree is all about.
You and Basques again... what a moron... here is a defenition of basques for you ''The Basques (Basque: euskaldunak, Spanish: vascos, French: basques) as an ethnic group, primarily inhabit an area traditionally known as the Basque Country (Basque: Euskal Herria), a region that is located around the western end of the Pyrenees on the coast of the Bay of Biscay and straddles parts of north-central Spain and south-western France.''
So do some more research before you start barking and make youself look like an idiot, which you've already established that you are.

Kind Regards, Chuck
Reply 131
Original post by History123
Germany wasn't a country till 1871 (i think thats the correct date?) so you research is rubbish. Before that it was the Confederation, And before that for a long time it was the Holy Roman Empire.

but it wudnt sownd as gud if i said "Is it true we English are t'people who wud later be called german?"
Actually, the Normans, the Celts, the Neolithics, the Vikings and the Saxons were civilisations. Anything racial would depend on their demographics, which would unlikely let someone from another civilisation if they appeared too different. If they were tolerant as we are now, someone with black skin, in theory, could've been a Saxon or anything else. There's nothing racial about any civilisations, Maori, Aztec, Saxon etc. It's about culture. It's just that people who, for instance with different skin colour, would be likely to be treated as outsiders.

Yes, I am probably descended from people who were either Saxon, Norse, Celtic or anything else but that doesn't mean I follow their traditions. These civilisations worshipped pagan gods, spirits etc. I am English because that is our current civilisation, but a lot of civilisation features, such as how our houses look like, is down to corporate design. I eat foods which come from outside of England, such as curry, noodles, pasta but I also eat English foods like sandwiches, pies, pasties, roast dinners etc. It is apparent that we are Human civilisation now, we hear music from around the world and here. In the days of Vikings, Saxons and Celts each civilisation had to supply their own music, food, customs and structural design from within their civilisation. It is madness for anyone to call themselves Saxon or Celtic. Even 'Maoris' speak English, wear raincoats and drive cars. They do not live as original Maoris did and use it to either justify their traditions and identify their racial background. We are part of the same civilisation.
(edited 12 years ago)
Stormfront? Really? You expect people take take you seriously! :pierre:
Reply 134
Original post by Tenbinza
Genetically we obviously share a lot in common with the Germans, and many people over the years have pointed out the similarities between German attitude and UK attitudes. Although the French would like to dispute this in the last 150 years Britain and Germany have been the most important and powerful nations in Europe and tend to be quite similar in terms of culture.

We take the mick, but they take the mick out of us to. Since the Napoleonic Wars (up until maybe WW1) we shared a mutual respect that has made a comeback after the grudges of WW2 were laid to rest.

Maybe this weakens my argument, but Britain were the only country Hitler ever wanted to be friends with in Europe - he described an alliance as the unification of '2 great european nations'.

I'm not trying to be inflammatory to anyone who feels that we can't forgive them for the world wars, but I've got a lot of respect for the way Germans work and act these days - superior in most ways to almost every other nation in Europe.

i like how you keep saying we when you have a flag of india in your username
Reply 135
Original post by jus2sik
i like how you keep saying we when you have a flag of india in your username

India

Egypt

Someone put my flag as Egypt because I represent them in the MUN.
Reply 136
Original post by Tenbinza
India

Egypt

Someone put my flag as Egypt because I represent them in the MUN.

lmao my geography is terrible

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending