The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ch0llima
Well, seeing as computers can ultimately only operate within the constraints set by their human architects, is it really possible to develop something as powerful as the human brain without understanding fully how the human brain works? We don't fully understand how our own brains work so how can we build something to 100% emulate it? Maybe a long long time in the future but not right now.

Yeah thanks, I've mentioned all that. I don't like this topic, gets far too philosophical for my brain to comprehend :frown:.
Reply 381
Human brains can extend not only their knowledge, but their ability to increase knowledge. We can learn learning. That's something no machine can ever do, as it's ability to learn is constrained by the machinery it runs upon. Unlike our brains, in which new connections and circuitry can be added whenever, to add brainpower to a machine would require separate intervention.

:holmes:
Original post by Chrosson

Spoiler

Bumped by an advertiser-spammer no less.
Original post by secretmessages

Spoiler

Bumped by an advertiser-spammer no less.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=35344399#post35344399 doesn't look like a spammer...
Original post by Chrosson

That's because I binned the spammer's posts.
Reply 386
That's because I binned the spammer's posts.

Doesn't that de-bump it? Or did someone reply before you got a chance to bin? :holmes:
Original post by Dez
Doesn't that de-bump it? Or did someone reply before you got a chance to bin? :holmes:

It would de-bump it but yeah, it had a couple of pages of replies since (threads like that are guaranteed to take off) so I let it run :yes:
Reply 388
Original post by Dez
Human brains can extend not only their knowledge, but their ability to increase knowledge. We can learn learning. That's something no machine can ever do, as it's ability to learn is constrained by the machinery it runs upon. Unlike our brains, in which new connections and circuitry can be added whenever, to add brainpower to a machine would require separate intervention.

:holmes:

What if the 'brain' is connected to a factory which it can order to build parts to add to itself (like a mechanical body :holmes:) Not sure if that would be possible :tongue:

Also, how does quantum computing fit in here?
Reply 389
Original post by tface
What if the 'brain' is connected to a factory which it can order to build parts to add to itself (like a mechanical body :holmes:) Not sure if that would be possible :tongue:

It'd still be limited by what mechanical processes it's capable of, though I suppose the same would be true of our minds eventually. I dunno, it's an interesting thought. :holmes:

Original post by tface
Also, how does quantum computing fit in here?

That's a computer that can be both smart and dumb at the same time, but you won't know which until you actually look at it. :p:
The perils of Siri in the workplace :ahee:
I've finally taken the plunge and decided to fulfil my curiosity about being an audiophile. I've spent the last few days converting my CD collection to FLAC, secured myself a very nice set of in-ear headphones for Christmas and have settled on a set of over-ears to get myself with Christmas money. Until then, I'm stuck with the only pair of earbuds I own to get me through a week of 4am shifts, the stock headphones from my lumia 800 :lolwut: there's nothing so horrifying as spending two days listening to lossless audio through a proper pair of cans, then moving to a pair of tinny monstrosities ):

:indiff:

So much wrong with that ad
Reply 394

Ahh, stupid people. :rofl:

Original post by Dez
Ahh, stupid people. :rofl:

Some people should not be allowed to use a computer. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if a couple of my housemates asked about using it because their laptops are slow and struggle to play music. I can't bring myself to tell them their single core celeron is the issue

I just tried downloading their free "diagnosis tool" to see if what kind of nasty spyware it could find on my Mac, unfortunately it didn't run :ahee:

But yeah, it's amazing so many people can fall for that kind of nonsense.
On the subject of bad adverts, has anyone seen the new ad for the Motorola Droid Razr? It makes a big point about how it's "fast and powerful enough to pull files from your computer anywhere in the world", something I've been doing with my iPod touch since 2008, and that it's "kevlar strong" as a woman jams it between elevator doors. Nice phone, very dodgy advertising.
Yup. It's amazing how much people get impressed by a glorified FTP server... As for Kevlar... Why not have someone just shoot the thing?
Original post by mikeyd85

Original post by mikeyd85
Yup. It's amazing how much people get impressed by a glorified FTP server... As for Kevlar... Why not have someone just shoot the thing?

Because then people would realise that a couple of millimetres (at most) of the stuff achieves little more than scratch proofing =P

Latest

Trending

Trending