The Student Room Group

I’m so worried I’m picking the wrong course for University

I’m in Year 13 currently and my predicted grades are A*AA. At the moment I’m planning on studying Geography at the University of Lancaster (ABB) next year, but I’m really worried I’m making a mistake. I loved the campus and the course talk when I went round, but I absolutely adore the theatre, particularly musicals, so initially I was considering doing a degree in that realm, e.g Stage Management or Theatre Tech, but I swayed because I know geography will probably give me much better job opportunities and pay eventually, whereas jobs in the theatre are far less secure. I also have very little experience; I am working backstage on my schools musical this year, but regardless of how much I’ve enjoyed it I know it would be an enormous risk to pick my degree based on this one bit of experience. However, I’m already horribly aware that I’ve wasted a huge amount of my teen years due to social anxiety and a lack of confidence; in reality I wanted to join my school backstage team from Year 8 but I was far too scared, and after that I was in a fairly toxic friend group for several years who would have judged me, and sadly maintaining my status within that group was more important to me throughout the next few years. Now I’m in Yr 13 I’m looking back at all the opportunities, friend groups and opportunities I missed out on because of this, and I really don’t want to go down a path I think or have convinced myself will be good for me, but isn’t what I truly want to do and have regrets I’ll never be able to undo. But on the other hand I don’t want to take the risk, hate the course and waste all that money when I could have done a far more academic course with better job prospects. This was a bit of a ramble so I’m sorry about that, but any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you! :smile:
Original post by raspberryblue
I’m in Year 13 currently and my predicted grades are A*AA. At the moment I’m planning on studying Geography at the University of Lancaster (ABB) next year, but I’m really worried I’m making a mistake. I loved the campus and the course talk when I went round, but I absolutely adore the theatre, particularly musicals, so initially I was considering doing a degree in that realm, e.g Stage Management or Theatre Tech, but I swayed because I know geography will probably give me much better job opportunities and pay eventually, whereas jobs in the theatre are far less secure. I also have very little experience; I am working backstage on my schools musical this year, but regardless of how much I’ve enjoyed it I know it would be an enormous risk to pick my degree based on this one bit of experience. However, I’m already horribly aware that I’ve wasted a huge amount of my teen years due to social anxiety and a lack of confidence; in reality I wanted to join my school backstage team from Year 8 but I was far too scared, and after that I was in a fairly toxic friend group for several years who would have judged me, and sadly maintaining my status within that group was more important to me throughout the next few years. Now I’m in Yr 13 I’m looking back at all the opportunities, friend groups and opportunities I missed out on because of this, and I really don’t want to go down a path I think or have convinced myself will be good for me, but isn’t what I truly want to do and have regrets I’ll never be able to undo. But on the other hand I don’t want to take the risk, hate the course and waste all that money when I could have done a far more academic course with better job prospects. This was a bit of a ramble so I’m sorry about that, but any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you! :smile:

Heya!
Don't worry! Regarding jobs, I would recommend checking out Prospects :h: While you will do Geography, it doesn't mean you have to give up your dream of Theater. There are societies (theatre society) and extracurricular activities you can do while being at uni where you can get yourself involved while also doing your course. Your course isn't something you must do forever and just because you will do geography, doesn't mean you can't do theatre jobs in the future. University will offer you tons more opportunities in which you can get involved! Employees value the skills and experience you get while you are at uni, not just your degree alone!

Regarding a course you chose - universities have consultants teams who can advise you on changing the course if you really dislike your course. I had plenty of friends who changed their courses or even universities in the 1st year or even 2nd year. I'm not sure about the overall process but universities have a team who can really support you with that and advise you more on it. So don't worry, there is so much for you to look forward to! :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Well technically you don't need a degree to work backstage. You can go into the role with zero qualifications. See the following:
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/theatre-stage-manager
https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/job-profiles/stagehand

On the other hand, a geography degree doesn't offer as many employment prospects as you might think. Whilst the degree offer skills and great knowledge, most employers won't care about what degree you did. Unless you specifically want to become a geographer, teach geography, or do something that involves a lot of orientation, I very much doubt it would be brought up in any job description. You can however still apply for jobs that ask for any degree though.

If you want to work backstage, you can still do it with a geography degree. In fact, if you want to do a bit of the work, you can try to do something backstage in a drama society at Lancaster whilst you are doing your degree.

If you don't have a specific job or career in mind, a random degree isn't going to be productive.

Hi!

I second the people saying that doing Geography does not mean giving up your dream in Theatre! We have an amazing Theatre society at Lancaster where you can get involved backstage and learn how to use all of the equipment.

We also have a major/minor system for first year at Lancaster where you may be able to choose Theatre as a minor (meaning you will do the core module of it) in first year, which then actually gives you the opportunity to switch without restarting your degree. I did Theatre in first year and there wasn't a lot of tech involved until second year but there were definitely opportunities to learn both some tech and some stage management.

Ultimately you have to make the best decision for you, and so I would definitely research the jobs you could get with either degree. At the same time, choosing Geography will not mean you cannot be involved in Theatre both at university and in the future.

If you have any other questions let me know :smile:

- Laura (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
It seems like a gap year - maybe with an apprenticeship or placement in theatre management would be a really good idea to help you work out if this is something you really want to do.

There's no rush to go to university - you can leave home and earn money and get your dream jobs through other routes and then change your mind and go to university later
Reply 5

Hi! What did you decide to do in the end?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending