The Student Room Group

OCR A Chemistry F324 Rings, Polymers and Analysis Thu 26 Jan 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lindizya

i keep losing silly marks its frustrating in the jan 2010 paper i got 42/60, for example when it comes to drawing the structures of 3 stereoisomers of isoleucine. mainly questions like that i lose marks anyone got advice on how to tackle this problem?

Is that the one with like 3 mirror images that you have to draw?
Original post by kemekpo
F324 just tests how many stupid mistakes you can make in 1hr 15mins

so true chem exams always seem like such a rush for me
i keep losing silly marks its frustrating in the jan 2010 paper i got 42/60, for example when it comes to drawing the structures of 3 stereoisomers of isoleucine. mainly questions like that i lose marks anyone got advice on how to tackle this problem?

I did paper like 3hrs ago and got that question wrong Mind you that paper was slightly harder than normal. Just keep practicing the past papers till you eradicate most stupid errors :redface: . I got 46 on that paper, lost a mark cos i ommitted a water molecule :/
(edited 12 years ago)

I always take it to the simplest level for these "stretch and challenge questions". So what do we know about optical isomers? Each chiral carbon can make 2 stereoisomers (mirror image). This is basically all we have been taught so they can't test us on anything more.

One of them should be pretty easy, just put the whole mol. in as a mirror image. Then there are two boxes left to be filled in. So just deduce that as there are two chiral carbons=4 stereoisomers. We have two easy stereoisomers down. Two left to work out.

What can we do with the molecule to make two more stereoisomers? Not much. Then I thought to myself what if I mirror image half the molecule only, the top half and then the bottom half. Thats really the only way you can make two more stereoisomers using this mirror method.

So basically, take it down to the most simple terms. As things like stereoisomerism, mechanisms, hydrolysis and polymerisation etc have been done to death, the examiners are trying to make these things as complex as possible.
Original post by kemekpo

Original post by kemekpo
I did paper like 3hrs ago and got that question wrong, i put isoleucine instead of leucine. Mind you that paper was slightly harder than normal. Just keep practicing the past papers till you eradicate most stupid errors :redface: . I got 46 on that paper, lost a mark cos i ommitted a water molecule :/

This happens with me as well, I just skim through the question, glance over "draw the molecule" for example and then jump straight into the question. Then when I come to mark it, it'll say in "skeletal formula". So now I'm just forcing myself to read the full question.
Reply 185
Original post by areebmazhar
Is that the one with like 3 mirror images that you have to draw?

Yup
Reply 186
Thanks guys I'm gonna try your tips
Reply 187
What are the impurities questions? i haven't done much of them :s-smilie:
Original post by silver0

Original post by silver0
What are the impurities questions? i haven't done much of them :s-smilie:

They aren't really much to worry about. They have been 1 mark questions on all the papers so far. It gives a reaction and then says "an impurity was formed with molecular formula C11H12NO3. Draw the structure of it?" for example, have a look and feel free to pm me if you have any problems :smile:
Just to add, you might want to look at them if you're going for an A* that is.
x

What was the hardest topic you found in the paper?
Here are some notes that I have uploaded, hope they help

:smile: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1879366
Original post by LifeIsGood

Original post by LifeIsGood
What was the hardest topic you found in the paper?

Probably chromatography as it is really wordy. I find everything else relatively easy just keep making silly mistakes by not reading the full question. How are you finding it?
Original post by Lambo_93

Here are some notes that I have uploaded, hope they help

:smile: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1879366

Thanks for these :smile: We're all doing A2 so it won't be much use to us but my brother will find them good. Try posting them on the AS thread as well :smile:
Thanks for these :smile: We're all doing A2 so it won't be much use to us but my brother will find them good. Try posting them on the AS thread as well :smile:

Haha sorry, my bad. I was on the Chemistry Exam section opened both the As and A2 thread. AS to post the notes and the A2 for my own benefit haha

Sorry again

Haha sorry, my bad. I was on the Chemistry Exam section opened both the As and A2 thread. AS to post the notes and the A2 for my own benefit haha

Sorry again

lol, no problem :biggrin:
does anyone have any legacy papers that are older than 2008 i.e older than the ones presented on d ocr website?
Original post by kemekpo
does anyone have any legacy papers that are older than 2008 i.e older than the ones presented on d ocr website?

These documents have taken all the relevant questions from legacy papers for f324. Credit to someone in last years thread. enjoy!
These documents have taken all the relevant questions from legacy papers for f324. Credit to someone in last years thread. enjoy!

life.saver.

Oh you are gooooood!! Thanks a bunch :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:, sooo helpful!!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 199
And sorry to be nosy but how did you do on this paper? :smile:

Its fine, I was very nosy last year too with older students :P
I got 90/90 UMS marks :smile:

& yes, the thick OCR book is over simplified. In my opinion. It's good for explanations but the questions are very easy in that book. Good to jog your memory. The thin revise guide is better in terms of giving a closer indication of the real exam. And it's more recent I think. Make sure you do all the questions from that thin revise guide.
In June, for F325 so the unit you guys will do for June, a 9 marker was asked as a graph and in the book it's always shown as a table. But i was ok with that question because I remembered freaking out when I saw the graph in the revise guide.
Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending