The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh

Queen Margaret University

I'm thinking of doing a Masters in QMUC. Festival Producing And Management Msc, Media And Cultural Studies Ma, Cultural Management And Policy Msc, Theatre Production Msc are some courses I have in mind.

May I know the reputation of QMUC? Is it a good uni to do a Masters programme in?

Thank you very much!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey there :smile: I'm an undergrad at QMUC. From what I can tell the Masters programmes here are very highly thought of - I know some people on masters courses from South Africa, Malawi, Canada, etc. and they chose to study here because of its great reputation. QM has very specific strengths e.g. drama, media, various health courses, and all of the courses you mention are certainly in areas of these strengths.

Theatre Production is really top notch here and seems to have great links with the industry. I'm in the Drama and Creative Industries faculty, and it is absolutely superb. I didn't know we had a postgrad course in it though :confused:
Students on campus at Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Reply 2
Thank you Acaila!! :smile:
Reply 3
Queen Margaret UC is also GREAT for good-looking young men like myself 80%

I'M SO SO LUCKY

I LOVE QMUC
Reply 4
{pokes} Are you at QM?

That said, despite there being very few straight men on my course, I managed to land myself one of them :biggrin:
Reply 5
QMUC is a dump, i had a friend there who had loads of problems with the dept. and also with tutors. She ended up leaving and was on the verge of a breakdown from all the stuff that happened her there. Avoid at all costs if you can.
Reply 6
Thank you for advice.

Is this true even for courses in the creative industries and for courses that I've mentioned?
Reply 7
I've had absolutely no problems whatsoever with my department and the Drama and Creative Industries faculty in general. Tutors have all gone beyond what I expected in being friendly and helpful. In DCI certainly, the staff/student relationship is very very good. I'm on first name terms with all the faculty members I know. It's the kinda place where you can just fire off a chatty email to your tutor one night for essay help, and they'll be happy to get back to you quickly.
Reply 8
Maybe your department is good, but that is not true for the majority of others, so you are very lucky. My friend was lucky to get a reply after a week of asking a lecturer. :confused:
Reply 9
And my faculty is a specific one the OP was asking about.
What subject did your friend study?
How do you know it's not true for the majority of others? Do you have any evidence to back that up?
Reply 10
She studied Business. Well i know of about more that 10 people that used to go there, and they used to always complain about their course, how they hated the place, how they wished to transfer, only 1 of those people are actually finishing their course, the rest dropped out or changed uni - its just a shame that this had to happen. The friend that i'm talking about just had so many problems...it came to the point that she regretted going to university and had such low morale from her experiences.....
Reply 11
Certainly there are four business students in the fencing club with me, and they seem to have got on fine with the dept.
I know someone who dropped out because she decided she wanted a more practical course, 2 who just wouldn't put the work in on the course, and that's about it. QM has a much lower drop out rate than most unis, so it would seem the numbers say you're wrong.
Reply 12
I don't think i'm wrong....lets just agree to differ. Also I know because I attended the dump and I have a very negative picture of the place, I was never so unhappy in my life until I ended up there. I don't want to go into details with what happened, but it hardly portrays the image of a university, I'm very very glad I was able to change to another scottish uni and all my friends did so as well. I just want to warn everybody to avoid it! :smile: It ain't good.
Reply 13
lynn20
I don't think i'm wrong....lets just agree to differ.

Or not :biggrin:
Reply 14
QMUC is rubbish - that's my final say!!
Reply 15
As my darling tutor at QM was drilling into us regarding our first semester essays:
Statement, Evidence, Analysis

Ah the joys of being taught how to reason well :biggrin: At QM of course.
Reply 16
Ok...darling tutor? Seriously you like them that much, that's worrying!

So where do you hail from? When I was there, about 65% were from Scotland, I have to say - there were good nights out in Edinburgh with all the QM gang....although everyone used to flock to Revolution about 5 nights every week, bit boring after a while though!
Reply 17
I'm a drama student, we call everyone we like darling (and even some we don't like).
North of Scotland for me. Of my uni best mates, 2 are Scottish, 2 are English and 1 is Welsh. The place quite often seems to be overrun with people from N.I. ROI, and India.
Reply 18
lynn20
She studied Business. Well i know of about more that 10 people that used to go there, and they used to always complain about their course, how they hated the place, how they wished to transfer, only 1 of those people are actually finishing their course, the rest dropped out or changed uni

Says more about your company than anything else :wink:
Reply 19
nessymonster
Says more about your company than anything else :wink:

Haha not another QMUC inbred! You are all deluded! I am so so so so happy I got out of that stupid dump, full of stupid people! And no, it actually says a lot about the University actually. Three people, i know never even got their degrees out of the hole, one was a masters student, imagine spending £3000 on a masters and still not getting your degree from them after 4 years, good luck to you all at that dump haha

Quick Reply

Latest