The Student Room Group

Leaving a good job for uni

Hi everyone!
To make this as concise as possible, after finishing High School I took a gap year that's turned into 5. I'm now in a really good job earning around £40k a year in the railway which is an industry I love. I've ended up in a role that doesn't thrill me though and over the past year I've started getting annoyed at myself for never getting a degree in the field I'm actually passionate about (Languages and Linguistics) and I've been thinking about finally going to uni and reskilling to get out of a bit of a work rut. The only issue is that as I've lived in England for a few years I'd be paying £9250 a year in fees. Anyone been in a similar position able to say if leaving a good job for something you're passionate about was worthwhile, even with the weight of debt that comes with it?
Reply 1
Original post by Jayden99
Hi everyone!
To make this as concise as possible, after finishing High School I took a gap year that's turned into 5. I'm now in a really good job earning around £40k a year in the railway which is an industry I love. I've ended up in a role that doesn't thrill me though and over the past year I've started getting annoyed at myself for never getting a degree in the field I'm actually passionate about (Languages and Linguistics) and I've been thinking about finally going to uni and reskilling to get out of a bit of a work rut. The only issue is that as I've lived in England for a few years I'd be paying £9250 a year in fees. Anyone been in a similar position able to say if leaving a good job for something you're passionate about was worthwhile, even with the weight of debt that comes with it?

What about the OU part-time and keep working?
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
What about the OU part-time and keep working?

Ah cheers, I've tried that before but unless I have someone dragging me kicking and screaming into lectures I can't commit to them. I found the thought of studying after a rough shift too difficult so I think in person is the best option
Reply 3
Ah cheers, I've tried that before but unless I have someone dragging me kicking and screaming into lectures I can't commit to them. I found the thought of studying after a rough shift too difficult so I think in person is the best option

What is you ultimate aim once you get a degree?
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
What is you ultimate aim once you get a degree?

I'm thinking TEFL or similar, which is something I'd need to retrain for anyway given my experience. Just lots to think about
Reply 5
I'm thinking TEFL or similar, which is something I'd need to retrain for anyway given my experience. Just lots to think about

An alternative is get a CELTA whilst working, then do a DELTA, find a teaching job and then use that work experience to join a degree / masters programme. With the right experience, you could get a decent job with only the DELTA.

Quick Reply

Latest