The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh

Queen Margaret University

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
It was more the opportunity to dress up! :biggrin:

Re. my avatar, one of the other mods on here, Cindy, had a little competition to find a new avatar. This was one of the submissions (it came from deviantart I believe, and there are a few along the same theme there) and she didn't want to use it so I pinched it. I've got it as the desktop on my laptop and it's very cool. Sums my oblivious positivity up :biggrin:

I'm not involved in anything at the festival personally unfortunately. Decided to come home for the summer and work....won't be making that mistake again! Next year I would love to do something in the festival :smile: I've been in the Cavalcade a couple of times before, but I want the proper Fringe show experience :biggrin:
Students on campus at Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Reply 181
NorthCountryBoy
Well I guess she would have to be a little crazy to share a flat with you:p:

I remember going to see my sister in a play i think it was last year. i remember she got really good review for it.

Populated by Drama Students?? Did they hear there was a free bar??:biggrin:

Free bar at QM unlikely...but students still turned out. I'm a quiet timid girl really....not crazeee!
~Kirsty~
Free bar at QM unlikely...but students still turned out. I'm a quiet timid girl really....not crazeee!

Its the 'quiet timid' ones you need to watch out for, or so i've heard.

DO QMUC have muchh in the way og sport and stuff?? been looking on the web site but not much to go by.

All i know abouit is football and something called 'fencing'?? but not keen on doing gardens in my spare time.
Reply 183
lol...hehe...

acaila does fencing...its not gardening!

Theres rugby (girls and boys), netball, hockey, football, fencing, hill walking.. Theres other clubs and socs too. If you want to, theres always lots to do on that side of things.

Back in yorkshire 4pm tomorrow! woooooooo!
Reply 184
Oh, here's some talking about sports. :smile: How good the gym is and how much does it cost? Do you have indoor cycling (spinning) classes?

Acaila, we have so much in common. I have never done fencing, but I would love to try it! :smile:
Reply 185
the gym is small to be honest, but it is only about £50 a year. Theres a few of the normal machines really, a pool, sauna, and the sports hall used for clubs and some fitness classes. Theres a gym owned by edin burgh leisure in drum brae, 10-15 minute walk i think, and that will probably be much bigger, and do all the different classes.

The gym at uni does do some fitness classes like dance, circuits, abs, pilates and aqua fit type classes.
Aye, I know acaila does fencing :fight: :p:

Cressie, if your planning on coming to QM in 2007, the brand new University Campus should be finished by then. I would imagine the gym and sporting options will be so much better.

You staying home until u ni starts then kirsty?
Reply 187
yep...home for around 3 weeks, till the 1st anyway.

not sure what sporting on the new campus will be like, but i think the local area has great facilities, council and private gyms etc.
Reply 188
Cressie you have to come to QM! We are far too similar :biggrin:

According to the bf, the gym is £60 pa, 20% off (so £48) for an Activity card (which you need to join sports clubs)

Fencing is the bestest club! We get to be violent, dashing, fun and poke fun at all the serious clubs (and poke swords at each other). Do come along and try - I honestly found it by accident at the freshers' fair and it was definitely major good luck that I did. It's a great opportunity to "do something different". Hopefully going to start planning some fencing social nights soon muahahaha! :cool:

I'm thinking of taking up netball or tae kwon do this year, but I'm also wanting to join a music group or two. Ah, I love uni!

When are you heading to uni NCB?
Hello lads,
I just got accepted onto a course in QMUC, however I have no accommodation, and the halls near Leith campus are booked out. Does anyone know where to look for alternative accomodation near Leith campus?
Acaila
Cressie you have to come to QM! We are far too similar :biggrin:

When are you heading to uni NCB?

Well am suppsed to go there on the 6th to register. Received welcome pack yeseterday, saying i need to come in on the thursday and friday as well for the physio stuff. I thought i could get another weeks work before i start uni, but doesnt look like i can now.

But supppose be good to have a few days off before i start uni. Just need to find part time job so i CAN keep going to QMUC. SO there are alot of sports availiable acaila? dont see much info website?
Reply 191
Improbably
Hello lads,

I just got accepted onto a course in QMUC, however I have no accommodation, and the halls near Leith campus are booked out. Does anyone know where to look for alternative accomodation near Leith campus?

Theres still rooms at corstorphine (i believe) if your looking for halls, and then its a bus ride to leith.

Otherwise check out this: http://www.studentpad.co.uk

This has accommodation listings, and i'm sure there would be accommodation available in leith.

Another site to try but its not my favourite is http://www.accommodationforstudents.com

Hope this helps,

Good luck!
Reply 192
NorthCountryBoy
Well am suppsed to go there on the 6th to register. Received welcome pack yeseterday, saying i need to come in on the thursday and friday as well for the physio stuff. I thought i could get another weeks work before i start uni, but doesnt look like i can now.

But supppose be good to have a few days off before i start uni. Just need to find part time job so i CAN keep going to QMUC. SO there are alot of sports availiable acaila? dont see much info website?

QMUC isn't well known for its website, are you looking at the main website, or the student union website?

Once uni starts you can look in the jobshop for local jobs, and theres also a job fair mid september so don't worry about a job at the moment! I'm sure you'll find one.
~Kirsty~
QMUC isn't well known for its website, are you looking at the main website, or the student union website?

Once uni starts you can look in the jobshop for local jobs, and theres also a job fair mid september so don't worry about a job at the moment! I'm sure you'll find one.

Been looking on both Kirsty. I think the websites only get update one a year!

the thing is, am going to be coming from glasgow everyday just now, so dont know if just get a job here or edinburgh, may have to move to edinburgh before the end of 1st year, i'll just have to wait and see.

Got book list through the door, i think i'll need to seriuosly consider selling my body.
Reply 194
yeah, true! lol! Just wait till you get here, then you'll see what QM is really about! hehe!

i'd say wait and see how things go upto christmas with travelling and things, and then make a decision then. At xmas you'll find theres probably rooms becoming available in halls, as people start to drop out, if you do decide to move. At the end of the day, i think it will depend on what your timetable is like.

The cleaner always joked to us when in halls about selling our bodies, she said we'd make a fortune! lol
Reply 195
Improbably
Hello lads,

Yay! Welcome to our elite little club :biggrin:

Have you tried the halls at Corstorphine? Remembering from last year it was difficult to get in through clearing but might be worth a shot.
Do tell us about yourself - it's nice to see that we're finally getting a presence on here :biggrin:
Reply 196
i got an email just before results day that theres still places in halls....so the corstorphine option is value for money, but does involve bus rides.

we'll be as busy as edinburgh uni forum soon... :wink:

You online? :eek:
Reply 197
NCB - ones that I can remember and this is totally of the top of my head: football, rugby, netball, fencing, tae kwon do, tennis, volleyball
There are active but not so sporty things like dance soc and cheerleading.

Kirsty, is there a basketball club or am I dreaming?

I think there's some sort of alliance with Edinburgh's hillwalking club from reading the uni-wide emails.

You can also play badminton, squash, go swimming or to the gym though I don't believe there are formal clubs for them.

Ooh, just remembered I want to join the poker soc this year!

And the union website is useless. (as fencing webmistress - even ours are better!)
Reply 198
theres basketball i think...if not we should make basketball! lol!

We used to have our own hillwalking club at one point, for one year, but last year we merged again with heriot watt.

Poker is BAD! As long as you don't gamble, it'll be ok though. :wink:

Unless you get a decent management team in the uni, the union website will always be useless. Needs someone to be elected who has knowledge! and time to update! Its still the same as it was 3 years ago! :biggrin:
Reply 199
It seems to have changed from last year at least :confused:
But yes, I wish they would actually bother to elect someone half decent!
The bf ran for sports and socs officer this year - one of the few actually contested positions and he lost :frown:

Don't gamble, but enjoy playing poker. Tis good fun :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest