The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh

Queen Margaret University

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Speech & Language Therapy!

Do you know anyone who is studying it at QMU, or thinking of studying it? :smile:
Students on campus at Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Reply 381
There was a guy upstairs from me in halls last year studied it - seemed to be enjoying the course. He's the only one I know though :frown:

Speaking of applying and such, any current QM bods know if there was an open day or something on today? Seemed awfully busy for Wednesday early afternoon!
Reply 382
my flatmate last year dropped out of speech and language in 2nd year, but i don't think she knew it was what she wanted to do when she applied. One of her friends loves the course, although its apparently hard work.

Not sure about open days... although department ones are common at this time of year.. :smile: Or maybe it was everyone practising for tonights concert..
Reply 383
Dear old Rob was wandering around about then with trolleyful of instruments, but there were a lot of people who didn't seem to be students around if you know what I mean?

Have you been to a department open day at all Lindsay?
Reply 384
i know what you mean, last few weeks i've noticed quite a few groups of international students looking round.
Reply 385
I'm going to a speech and language open day tomorrow! I hope it's good
Reply 386
Have you been to a department open day at all Lindsay?

Yeah, last Friday. It was really good, there were just 8 of us & we got to sit around & chat, meet some current students & meet some of the lecturers.

The only thing that worries me is that everyone seems a bit.. daft! I mean they were all really lovely but not really very organised. Haha.
Reply 387
Hey lucy, welcome to the thread :biggrin:

Lindsay - going by my department open day thing last year, it was a bit disorganised. I got yanked out of a rehearsal to come and do a QandA for example :biggrin:. Going by what I've heard, the health type courses aren't too bad for organisation - drama on the other hand....:biggrin:
Reply 388
from what i hear speech and language is probably one of the better organised courses in the uni, so don't let a little bit of disorganisation put you off. This year is a busy time for QM, probably due to the relocate project; No-one is sure what next year will be like.. scary but fun! So maybe the staff hadn't the time to plan as much as usual although I think QM as a whole prefers a friendly laid back approach to open days, compared to more structured approaches. it usually works quite well, and that sort of approach (the friendliness) generally makes lecturers approachable... which is always useful at uni...

i'm babbling... oopsie!
Reply 389
Oh we're used to that :p: :biggrin:
Yes, tutors and such here are very approachable :smile: The sort where they know you by name and you call them by their first name.
Reply 390
I went to the openday today and I agree it seemed a little disorganised but everyone was friendly. I bet it'll be fabulous at the new campus
Reply 391
Hehe, we're a friendly bunch :biggrin:
Did you like it Lucy? :smile:
Reply 392
wow... this thread is getting busy! lol!

Wheres all the newbie dietetics students... sigh!
Reply 393
Acaila
Hehe, we're a friendly bunch :biggrin:
Did you like it Lucy? :smile:

yeah i did but it's still my backup because i want to be a bit further from home
Reply 394
Heh, understandable :biggrin: Any uni was going to be far away for me so I didn't really have that choice :biggrin:
Reply 395
haha ok.
Reply 396
i had a little bit of choice though, QM was my 1st choice, due to distance, my 2nd choice was way too close to home... i refuse to commute 2 hours a day just for uni, and the fact i was too close to a uni to be offered accommodation... Although i'm not sure if QM is changing its accommodation policy due to the new campus... they seem to be offering accommodation to any 2nd-4th years that want it at the minute....

I don't regret my choice one bit!
Hi All,

Kirsty, I see you are studying dietetics? How are you finding it and also QMU as a whole? What's the age mix of your cohort? The reason I ask is that I'm a sprightly 30 years old and wonder if I'd be the Granny of the class? Also, are there any part time students in your cohort?

Have spoken to John McDermott a few times and hoping to apply for next year. Originally studied Food Science twelve years ago and would like to move across to dietetics.

Any info would be fab! :smile:

Diane
Reply 398
Hello Diane! :smile: Welcome to our merry little band. Will leave Kirsty to answer your questions, but there are loads of mature students at QM in general so I'm sure you won't be alone. I generally seem to be the baby of many things at 19! :biggrin:
Reply 399
basically there are more older people than younger people in my year, you won't feel left out! Dietetics is fine until placement,...then you get your grilling! The staff are nice, they teach you what you need, and its enjoyable! Out of all the staff, John (or MAc) is the worse... all approachable which is handy!

hope you apply!

Quick Reply

Latest