The Student Room Group

Maths Studies for University

I was wondering if you can get accepted to a good university such as an Ivy League one if you do maths studies ?

Thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by MayBee
I was wondering if you can get accepted to a good university such as an Ivy League one if you do maths studies ?

Thank you.

What sort of qualifications would "maths studies" be? I'm not familiar with it, sorry.
yes you can, but that depends on what you want to study.
Original post by tom29whu
What sort of qualifications would "maths studies" be? I'm not familiar with it, sorry.

it's an IB subject, that's why it's under the IB sub forum if you even noticed...
Reply 4
Original post by desy.kris
it's an IB subject, that's why it's under the IB sub forum if you even noticed...

Sorry, I spotted it down in the latest discussions tab, and thought I could help out without noticing
This is purely an opinion, rather than fact, but I would say if you want to do anything that is science based or related, maths SL would be a minimum.

If arts, I would say they couldn't care less.

What type of degree course are you interested in?
Original post by MayBee

Thank you.

If you are interested in IVY league then they won't give a rat's ass which maths you do; you will however need a rather spectacular SAT score.
Basically unless you want to do medicine biology chemistry psychology to a lesser extent, possibly economics, all of which you need SL/HL, maths studies is fine.
Original post by MayBee

Thank you.

Well, I'm applying to Cambridge and I'm doing Maths Studies. I want to do languages, and my teacher emailed my Cambridge college to ask if they cared whether I did Maths SL or Maths Studies, and they replied to say it didn't matter at all.

So basically, if you're applying for subjects where your use of Maths will be minimal/not at all, it doesn't matter one bit. If you wanted to do science or architecture, however, Maths SL would probably be a requirement. But email the University to check :smile: xx
Reply 9
I saw that discussion here and I would like to ask you if I can study something with computers, like computer software, web design by taking Maths SL? ( I am in IB1 year )
Original post by Cryphisss
I saw that discussion here and I would like to ask you if I can study something with computers, like computer software, web design by taking Maths SL? ( I am in IB1 year )

I'm applying for Computer Science and all universities I've checked out do require Maths HL for any Computer related courses. perhaps the less prestigious ones have no subject requirement though.
Reply 11
Well...I'm applying for law in Cambridge and I take maths SL.
I pretty much had the same question, as I wondered before taking it, whether or not I actually need it. Haven't found out for sure, so just ended up taking SL..:P
Anyone applying for law with studies? just wondering....))
Reply 12
Original post by Lizzy07
Well...I'm applying for law in Cambridge and I take maths SL.
I pretty much had the same question, as I wondered before taking it, whether or not I actually need it. Haven't found out for sure, so just ended up taking SL..:P
Anyone applying for law with studies? just wondering....))

My sister is applying for law, ask her! She wants to study in England.
Reply 13

My sister is applying for law, ask her! She wants to study in England.

Is she? Could you maybe ask her then?
Seeing as I don't kow your sister :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending