The Student Room Group

Mathematics and Philosophy Entry Grades

I’m looking at studying Mathematics and Philosophy at University. Various unis seem to require A* in Mathematics within their standard offer and even in some of their contextual offers.

I am studying three A levels.
If I was to get A* in both of my alternate A levels but an A in maths, how likely would I be to get into these places? (e.g. Manchester, Edinburgh etc) even if I don’t have the A* in maths.
Essentially, how much do they value the A* in Maths and can it be made up for with other grades?
Reply 1
Original post by tom1752
I’m looking at studying Mathematics and Philosophy at University. Various unis seem to require A* in Mathematics within their standard offer and even in some of their contextual offers.

I am studying three A levels.
If I was to get A* in both of my alternate A levels but an A in maths, how likely would I be to get into these places? (e.g. Manchester, Edinburgh etc) even if I don’t have the A* in maths.
Essentially, how much do they value the A* in Maths and can it be made up for with other grades?

I can't speak with confidence about a range of universities, but you will be studying mathematics on the M&P course that is just as hard as the maths on the single-honours course. Maybe even the harder bits like analysis and abstract algebra. So I would expect that the A* in maths is important to them, and realistically should be important to you if you want to succeed with the maths courses you'll be taking.
Reply 2
Original post by tom1752
I understand your point. Succeeding in Maths is obviously significant to me, and I feel I have good understanding of all content I’ve studied. Though I’m wondering if I turn out to be unlucky on results day and for whatever reason underperform in Maths (achieving A), would I be unlikely to get in?

You're asking questions that are too general for there to be any definite answers. Whether a missed grade in maths is forgiven is going to depend on how competitive the degree is, at the particular university, especially in the year you apply, and how well the university liked the rest of your application. But given they ask for an A* and given maths is one of the two named disciplines in the degree (and that a sizeable fraction of those taking maths achieve the A*) I wouldn't be optimistic about it being forgiven.
You don't need the A* in Maths to get into Lancaster University, as it only requires AAA, or AAB if you take Further Mathematics.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
Hi,

I study Maths and Philosophy at the University of Sheffield, and am about to enter my third year.

The standard offer for the University of Sheffield is AAB for this year, (with one of the A's from maths).

Are you applying for this year or next year?

If you have any other questions about the course, feel free to ask me.

Lizzie (BSc Maths and Philosophy)

Quick Reply

Latest