The Student Room Group

deleted

deleted
(edited 2 weeks ago)
Original post by study62
Hi. So I’m thinking of doing computer science at uni next year and I’m gonna do an access course at college but realised I also need A-level maths. I got 6 at GCSE and just wanted to know if I’ll be able to teach myself and take the exam next year. I have pretty much a year and a few months to learn the topic and I’ll be getting a tutor every week. Does anyone think I’m getting ahead of myself or is this doable. Let me know what you think and if anyone else has had the same experience.

I've been self teaching myself further maths and that's been manageable so far but I am also doing A level maths in class which is helpful. You should give it your best shot but a 6 at GCSE is below most entry requirements to study A level maths so you might struggle to catch up, especially if you haven't been doing maths since year 11.
Original post by study62
Hi. So I’m thinking of doing computer science at uni next year and I’m gonna do an access course at college but realised I also need A-level maths. I got 6 at GCSE and just wanted to know if I’ll be able to teach myself and take the exam next year. I have pretty much a year and a few months to learn the topic and I’ll be getting a tutor every week. Does anyone think I’m getting ahead of myself or is this doable. Let me know what you think and if anyone else has had the same experience.

Hi there,

I am a 4th year integrated masters student in Mathematics & Statistics at Lancaster University. I did maths, further maths, geography and psychology at A-Level. I think it is doable but is a large workload and could potentially burn you out.

However, A-Level maths is not required by all universities to study computer science. At Lancaster there are no required subjects. Although studying Computing, Computer Science or Mathematics could potentially lower your offer. I would suggest you take a look at some different university websites to decide if it is that important for your future degree.

Lancaster's computer science bachelors: Computer Science BSc Hons (G400) - Lancaster University

Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest