The Student Room Group

Common Misconceptions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
Common misconception: The Saxophone is a brass instrument or part woodwind part brass. Instrument classifications have nothing to do with what they're made of!
Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan
When people say 'it's a whole different kettle of fish', kettle is collective term for fish and not the appliance you use to make tea. :redface:

That looks like a misconception right there.
Kettle is a collective noun for hawks but I'v never seen it used for fish. 'A kettle of fish' is no more a collective noun for fish than 'a basket of fish' would be.

Kettle doesn't just refer to the closed vessel we use to boil water, it was used more generally for any pots used to boil water.

The phrase most commonly used was 'a fine kettle of fish' which refered to a muddle or confused situation and the 'different kettle of fish' is an evolution of that which refers to a detail change that turns one muddle into a different muddle.
Original post by Slosh
Common misconception: The Saxophone is a brass instrument or part woodwind part brass. Instrument classifications have nothing to do with what they're made of!

This was news to me until my daughter came home for school and told me a piano was a percussion instrument!
We live an learn.
My work brings me in contact with people with Aspergers sometimes and they will often have a very literal take on things.
On one occasion it took a while to figure out why the poor guy was so freaked out when the custody officer told him they were going to take his fingerprints.
Reply 544
Original post by GStevens
This was news to me until my daughter came home for school and told me a piano was a percussion instrument!
We live an learn.

it took me a while to get over that one too! Always thought that "keyboard" was an instrument family :3 but when someone explained that it's the hammers hitting the strings that makes the note, that cleared it up
Reply 545
Original post by Lamiaregina
My sister used to think I was 'Auntie Lucy' even though I'm her sister!!! :tongue: and when I was little I used to think 'Peugeot' was pronounced pe-got, weirdly, so did my current boyfriend!!!! :tongue:

I use to say "mitsubishi" as mista-bushy.
That looks like a misconception right there.
Kettle is a collective noun for hawks but I'v never seen it used for fish. 'A kettle of fish' is no more a collective noun for fish than 'a basket of fish' would be.

Kettle doesn't just refer to the closed vessel we use to boil water, it was used more generally for any pots used to boil water.

The phrase most commonly used was 'a fine kettle of fish' which refered to a muddle or confused situation and the 'different kettle of fish' is an evolution of that which refers to a detail change that turns one muddle into a different muddle.

A fish kettle is a long thin pan used to poach whole fish. (I realise you probably know that, but yours was the post I quoted by accident.)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by carnationlilyrose
A fish kettle is a long thin pan used to poach whole fish. (I realise you probably know that, but yours was the post I quoted by accident.)

All crows are black birds but not all black birds are crows.

What you describe is a fish kettle but not all fish are cooked in a fish kettle, rather more are cooked in other types of kettle, especially when making a fish stew. It is that type of kettle with a mish mash and confusion of fish bits that gave rise to the saying. At least according to my Book of English Idioms and Phrases.
All crows are black birds but not all black birds are crows.

What you describe is a fish kettle but not all fish are cooked in a fish kettle, rather more are cooked in other types of kettle, especially when making a fish stew. It is that type of kettle with a mish mash and confusion of fish bits that gave rise to the saying. At least according to my Book of English Idioms and Phrases.

You've obviously given the matter more thought than I have.
You've obviously given the matter more thought than I have.

When you work with people who have a particular problem with idioms it helps to know where they come from. Many people with ASD are fascinated by the explanations and astounded that we Neuro Typicals make things so complicated. Why say 'that's a fine kettle of fish' when you mean 'that's a mess'.

Give them an explanation and you have made a connection which can really help a stressed situation.
Reply 550
When I was 6, I said Grand Prix how you'd think to say it at that age, with hilarious results for my parents.
Reply 551
another post reminded me of this one:

The Carphone Warehouse = i thought, The Care Phone Warehouse, cuz...y'know...they care about phones..

Blame the Irish personality advertising it at the time.
Original post by Crowhaven
another post reminded me of this one:

The Carphone Warehouse = i thought, The Care Phone Warehouse, cuz...y'know...they care about phones..

Blame the Irish personality advertising it at the time.

i used to think they also sold/handled cars... in a back room or something. :colondollar:
Original post by jacksonriddle
i used to think they also sold/handled cars... in a back room or something. :colondollar:

It's an amazingly old fashioned name, which you'd think they'd change. It's been a very long time since a carphone was an object of aspiration, or possibly even since it existed.
It's an amazingly old fashioned name, which you'd think they'd change. It's been a very long time since a carphone was an object of aspiration, or possibly even since it existed.

haha i eventually looked it up when i figured there were no cars in the shops.
Original post by jacksonriddle
haha i eventually looked it up when i figured there were no cars in the shops.

It dates from 1989, when a mobile phone was about the size of a suitcase and having one in your car was incredibly cool and impossibly expensive for mere mortals. It seem ludicrous now, like calling Topshop a ladies' outfitters or something.
Reply 556
Original post by Saranghea
My little sis was obssessed with that wanted song "all time low"- she'd play it non-stop so I knew the lyrics by heart...or thought I knew them :tongue: . There's a line that goes:

If you call me now girl without reservation,
I will try to break through

I GENUINLEY thought the last line went; I will try to rape you :eek:

Ha! Actually lol'ed :biggrin:
I remember having intense discussions with my twin about babies being born out of belly buttons and only the 'chosen few' gave birth, (men and women) I remember worrying about being the chosen one.

We were both also adamant our parents were spies, man I even remember looking for their black shiny suitcases and bits of rope to climb up buildings.

When I watched Briget Jones and the part where she dresses up as a bunny, her mum says 'you look like a common prostitute!'... I thought it was synonymous of a silly Billy so it became my favourite term for a while. No one wanted the job of telling me the truth. :lolwut:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 558
I was looking to use up some ground beef so looking for some novel dishes I googled 'mince meat' and was baffled that there was no results related to my interpretation of mince meat.
I always used to think that duct tape was actually called duck tape.

And I used to call it the 'Minnellium'

I thought university students had to wear a uniform (I'd seen them in their uni hoodies :tongue:)

And I always thought Danish Blue Cheese was actually called Dangerous Blue Cheese (hey, there's a certain logic to it!)

Quick Reply

Latest