The Student Room Group

Biology or Psychology

I want to do Dentistry. I am picking maths and chemistry but I have heard that biology was very hard. I already do psychology gcse so I have an idea of a level psychology. Is it okay to do maths chem and psychology for dentistry do Unis accept it?
Wouldnt recommend taking psych over bio you could tale bio chem and psych if u really wants thou maths isnt compulsory only leaves 3 dental schools for you to apply to bristol kcl qmul
I take biology A level I wouldnt say its that difficult to get your head around but its pretty content heavy so you just ned to create a revision timetable to manage this and make sure you are taking in the info

DSC-Entry-Requirements-entry-2024.pdf (dentalschoolscouncil.ac.uk)
you can check the requirements here and then cross check on the websites
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 2
I would think Biology would be a better choice. If you're capable of doing a dental degree, then I'd think you should be able to manage A Level Biology.
Reply 3
Original post by bengisuhm
I want to do Dentistry. I am picking maths and chemistry but I have heard that biology was very hard. I already do psychology gcse so I have an idea of a level psychology. Is it okay to do maths chem and psychology for dentistry do Unis accept it?

go for bio....in the eventuality you decide that dentistry isn't for you, taking biology will keep other pathways open comparatively more than psychology. It is becoming a more common occurrence. As for difficulty, that can be said about any A level so if you put in the work , biology will be a piece of cake. Ignore difficulty because that is what carries misconceptions as happened in my case. I was unsure what I wanted to do until November of year 12 following my work experience. I did Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Computing. Following my work experience, I realised that I wanted to do computing at uni and so swapped biology for further maths, which was the best thing I ever did because I liked it more (personal preference here - I have nothing against biology).

Following that swap, I was contemplating switching from Chemistry to Physics as it would make more sense with my a levels but went against it, a decision I regret to this day, purely because it has a reputation for being hard and I had missed two months of content so would have to catch up. I wiah I did swap because the topics are so much more interesting (albeit the required practicals are more boring in Physics).
Original post by bengisuhm

Maths, Chemistry and Biology is taken by the vast majority of Dentistry applicants. Also, it will leave you to consider almost any other degree subject (s), especially if you decide to change courses. 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest