The Student Room Group

Sciences-Po Paris

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Ramez012
Hey there, I'm a French-Lebanese student from Lebanon. I applied for the French track at Menton and I recently got the email confirming that my application was accepted. So I'm just waiting and stressing about the upcoming interview.
I was wondering if anyone could give me a detailed explanation of what I have to expect and some tips like what books to read and how to prepare.
Thanks in advance.

For books, I would suggest Albert Hourani (he's Lebanese so you might appreciate :P ) ''A History of the Arab Peoples'' or ''History of Modern Middle East'' by Cleveland! Hope that helps!
Reply 181
Original post by EvaLuna93
YES and it's the best among all the campuses! This is the link: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Debate-Club-Sciences-Po-Menton/169752969773584?fref=ts

Oh ok that's great! I love debating. We have a huge parliamentary style debate scene here.

I'm curious though about admissions, how much emphasis is placed on grades for getting the interview? Did you do Alevels or somehting similar?
Reply 182
Original post by SANS12795
Oh ok that's great! I love debating. We have a huge parliamentary style debate scene here.

I'm curious though about admissions, how much emphasis is placed on grades for getting the interview? Did you do Alevels or somehting similar?

Nope, I'm sorry, I followed the Italian national system! :/
Reply 183
Nope, I'm sorry, I followed the Italian national system! :/

was ur offer conditional?
Reply 184
was ur offer conditional?

Unconditional! They accept you upon the grades you already have, not the ones of your graduation :smile:
Reply 185
Unconditional! They accept you upon the grades you already have, not the ones of your graduation :smile:

oh thank god. :tongue:

They just sent me my application acknowledgement 2 days ago. hope they reply quick!!
Hello!

My name is Elyan. I am an American-Palestinian citizen applying for Sciences Po English track programme at Menton.
I have received a confirmation email from Sciences Po Admissions stating that my application is under review, I am wondering how many days approx does this process take ?
Also, could you tell me what type of general knowledge I should be supplied with during the interview ? would it be focused only on the Middle-east ?

My last question. Since I do not speak french, do I need to have a general idea about the language before the interview ? in order to prove my interest in it ? As I am really interested but currently I am busy with studying Turkish language in Turkey.

Thanks in advance!

I appreciate your time and assistance guys.
Reply 187
Original post by elyanmohammed
Hello!

My name is Elyan. I am an American-Palestinian citizen applying for Sciences Po English track programme at Menton.
I have received a confirmation email from Sciences Po Admissions stating that my application is under review, I am wondering how many days approx does this process take ?
Also, could you tell me what type of general knowledge I should be supplied with during the interview ? would it be focused only on the Middle-east ?

My last question. Since I do not speak french, do I need to have a general idea about the language before the interview ? in order to prove my interest in it ? As I am really interested but currently I am busy with studying Turkish language in Turkey.

Thanks in advance!

I appreciate your time and assistance guys.

Hey, you don't need any previous knowledge of French language, no worries! Moreover, if you're interested in pursuing Turkish you could apply for the Turkish track and you won't need to do Arabic (I guess you're fluent already)! Good luck, hope to see you next semester :smile:
Hey, you don't need any previous knowledge of French language, no worries! Moreover, if you're interested in pursuing Turkish you could apply for the Turkish track and you won't need to do Arabic (I guess you're fluent already)! Good luck, hope to see you next semester :smile:

Thanks for your reply!
Original post by kirstychan93
I hope study aboard for a term at Science Po in my 2nd year, but i am really tored between which campus i should chose. Paris or Le Havre? I am studying International Relations & Development (1st Year). English is my first language and Cantonese is my mother tongue (fluent).I can understand some Mandarin and speak a little bit of it. Due to circumstances before my exams,I only manage to pull off a C at Alevel French. So, i can only consider universities that offers an English Progamme. Paris offers a wider range of course but equally i am attracted to the specific Asian modules at Le Havre. I know that Paris is a more exciting place to live in but the cost is so much higher. And ,as for Le Havre, I have hardly manged to find any information about living there. Would it be better to join and easier to immerse in Le Havre, a small-knit community, as i am only staying there for a term or should i head to Paris for a fuller/busier experience ?

Thanks,
Kirsty

Hi Kristychan93,

I'm one of the student representatives from the Le Havre campus of Sciences Po Paris.

For your level of French, do not worry too much. There are students on the campus who are starting French from never having studied it before. Additionally, many of the students in lower levels of French (0 or 1) are still taking mandatory the French courses as a second year, such as Political Institutions, and it isn't as difficult as one would imagine.

The small knit community of Le Havre is quite nice in that you can make more friends than you would from a larger campus. Everyone sees each other on a daily basis since the combined numbers for the 1st and 2nd years are under 200. It's true that there is much more to do in Paris, but the benefit of Le Havre is that it's close to all the nearby cities in the Normandy region and it's only a short train ride away from Paris. Many students study and hang out together during the week and travel on the weekends.

For any other questions about the campus life in Le Havre, don't hesitate to send our team (on this account) a personal message. We'll get back to you as soon as we can!
Original post by pippa**
hello again, I have another question---thanks by the way for the last response, it was very helpful:smile:
so, I thought about applying to the europe-asain campus and checked the English language requirements and I am not sure whether I fulfill them... I went to an international school in Austria, meaning that the teaching language was English ( for 8 years...) and I did the IB, however only English B. Is that not enough, do I need to take a test now?

Hi Pippa,

The curriculum at the Le Havre campus is in English, but judging from your educational background, you should not have a problem at all. A large part of the student body in LH is French and they only studied English as a second language, but they have no problem with the courses here (their English improves very quickly).

Many students also come from the IB track from other countries, such as Sweden, India, New Zealand, etc.

There is also a supplementary English class for first years who would like to improve their level of English, but I doubt that will be necessary in your case. I hope that answers your question!
Original post by Zatara
Hi! I'm a Trinidadian student who attends an international school in China. I am thinking of applying to the LH program. I was wondering about how to submit AP scores. Also, are there any other students who have applied from the American system, specifically AP? If you don't mind sharing, what were your stats like? I have a 32 ACT, 3.85 and 5 AP 5's. Am I matched to Sciences Po LH?

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

Hi Zatara,

I'm a current LH student here to answer your questions.

You can submit your AP score report to be reviewed by the admission board; I suggest emailing the administration during the application process for the submission procedure. There are students here who come from the AP track in the US, along with IB, A-Levels, and various other systems.

Along with Menton and Reims, Le Havre belongs to the three campuses offered under the Dual BA Program Between Columbia and Sciences Po Paris, and a majority of students in the program come from a US/international school under the AP/IB track.

Personally, I came to Sciences Po through the American system (I did AP) but unfortunately I can't disclose my scores on here. However, I will say that scores and grades are only a few parts of a multifaceted application process, so don't worry too much about the numbers.

If you have any other questions, feel free to send a personal message to our team at this account. We're more than glad to help answer anything you're curious about for the LH campus, whether it's academics or student life.
Original post by sovereigna
Could you also give me some information on living in Le Havre? Accommodation and things like that? :smile:

Hi Sovereigna,

Sorry for the late reply!

Living in Le Havre, first and foremost, is considerably cheaper than living in Paris (by a lot). Most students choose to live in a CROUS (government run) residence, and the benefit is that you'll be living with many other students but have your own apartment; at times it can feel like a dorm. For example, this year a new residence was built right by the new campus, and it certainly feels very tight knit as a majority of the occupants in the residence are from Sciences Po.

Other students who leave their CROUS residence in their first year or opt for private housing often live close by to the area of the school, either by themselves or with roommates.

For prices, generally rent ranges anywhere from 300-400 euros per month, including utility bills. Most students also receive money from CAF to help subsidize their rent, so often rent can be reduced to around 200-250 euros.

tl;dr Everyone's pretty close and living costs are relatively cheap.:smile:
Original post by Sc.Po Paris LH
Hi Sovereigna,

Sorry for the late reply!

Living in Le Havre, first and foremost, is considerably cheaper than living in Paris (by a lot). Most students choose to live in a CROUS (government run) residence, and the benefit is that you'll be living with many other students but have your own apartment; at times it can feel like a dorm. For example, this year a new residence was built right by the new campus, and it certainly feels very tight knit as a majority of the occupants in the residence are from Sciences Po.

Other students who leave their CROUS residence in their first year or opt for private housing often live close by to the area of the school, either by themselves or with roommates.

For prices, generally rent ranges anywhere from 300-400 euros per month, including utility bills. Most students also receive money from CAF to help subsidize their rent, so often rent can be reduced to around 200-250 euros.

tl;dr Everyone's pretty close and living costs are relatively cheap.:smile:

Thanks for that extensive information! But I guess i missed the application deadline! Now will just hope for a student exchange place :smile:
Reply 194
Hi, I just recieved an email from Sciences Po telling me that I have to attach a CV to my application form. I already filled in the personal statement in the online application and so am not really sure what I should be putting on an attached CV which won't already be evident in my personal statement? Please help!
Thanks!
Original post by lawson9_5
Hi, I just recieved an email from Sciences Po telling me that I have to attach a CV to my application form. I already filled in the personal statement in the online application and so am not really sure what I should be putting on an attached CV which won't already be evident in my personal statement? Please help!
Thanks!

CVs are used in applications for jobs, universities, internships, etc., and their purpose is to highlight your work experience, leadership roles, educational background, scores, awards, projects, and skills.

At the university level, the schools should already have copies of your transcripts and scores, so those will not be necessary to put on your CV. However, leadership roles, internships, jobs, volunteer experiences, and additional skills (whether it be fluency in other language, coding, musical instruments) should be present.

Since your personal statement gives the admission team an insight to your goals/ambitions and provides an image of who you are as a person, the CV should highlight things that aren't stated in the essay. In one page (it shouldn't be longer than 1 page), it lays out all the important things you've accomplished beyond academics. This is important because applicants are judged holistically and any passions/interests you have should somewhat be reflected in the CV.

If you lack experiences outside of school, it's understandable. Many students are academically very high achieving but possess an underdeveloped CV.

For more help, I recommend googling sample CVs.
Reply 196
Thanks for the help! I just sent my (pretty underdeveloped) CV in...but as you said, I am sure that's the case for a lot of those looking to get into the undergraduate programmes.
Reply 197
I was also wondering if anyone has been emailed by Sciences Po asking them to include a transcript of the last 3 years of school with teachers comments. I originally attached my transcript without teachers comments but not really sure what my teachers should be commenting on? My performance in subjects or how I compare with others? Any ideas? Thanks in advance!!
Reply 198
so I''ve been wondering, considering menton is a small place, what's the nightlife/party scene like for sciences po students?

i am not a student there but i am 19 and live in menton and study french in monaco. menton seems really quiet to me, when i go out, i go to monaco. only problem is getting the train back, i have to wait till first train at like 6:40am to get home. also same for nice, not sure about taxi from monaco to menton but the taxi from nice to menton is 100euro. i have never met anyone my age in menton they are all old people even when i went to the "club" in menton there was about 3 young people, not including myself and friends. i really love menton, lovely place, but i have not found a young social scene here. probably to do with the fact i go to class in monaco, made friends in monaco, and don't do anything in menton... but still. it'd be nice to find some people a bit more local, but it is hard in menton. if you are at the uni you will make friends with the other students and make your own social life.

i REALLY recommend living here, it is so perfect really! i love the area so much!
Original post by jana_sweeney
Hi I'm Jana Sweeney, I'm currently studying at Sciences Po Paris in Menton! I created this thread to allow anyone who had any sort of questions about applying or the university in general to ask me here!

Hi Jana, I'd like to ask you about the sciencespo academic calendar and timetable?? do you work full weeks? saturdays aswell? and when do you close for summer holidays?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending