The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Feb 2012 W100 people over here!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by legalboo
Has anyone started the first eTMA yet? I'm finding it hard to reach the word count already!!

I was thinking of starting the first one myself, looks pretty straight forward & I'd much rather get ahead, rather than end up falling behind. :smile:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 81
I would suggest doing the first tma as you are only allowed to use the information provided to answer the question. It states that no prior legal study is required and I have not yet begun block one. It will mean that being a step ahead so that if you fall behind at any point you will find it easier to catch up. eTMA 01 is 7% of the overall mark.
Reply 82
eTMA 01 is not as straight forwards as it looks. I thought the first question was simple enough but after reading box 1 many many times I am questioning the direction of my entire answer due to one small word in box 1 'and'!!
Reply 83
Ok having spent my daughter's karate lesson reading through eTMA01 it seems pretty straightforward. Will get it done this week. Thankfully only working 2 days plus 3 meetings next week so will have time to get a start on things. :smile:
eTMA 01 is not as straight forwards as it looks. I thought the first question was simple enough but after reading box 1 many many times I am questioning the direction of my entire answer due to one small word in box 1 'and'!!

I've just started making notes, picking bits of info out etc. :smile:
Reply 85

Mine is the word 'principal'. I think if 'principal' applies then 'and' would, but I don't think 'principal' does so 'and' wouldn't anyway?
Reply 86
Initially I thought both Harry and Brian had committed offences. However, section 1 states that it applies to a public service vehicle AND if the principal use is for carrying passengers to a designated sporting event which it is not. Surely that means that because the scenario does not fulfil both subsections that means that neither have committed offences????
Reply 87
Exactly. The principal use in this case was taking the old biddies to the flower show, so surely none of the act applies at all? But then are we just reading too much into it & they're not being that evil on the first eTMA??
Reply 88
If you're horrifically confused, PM me the question and I'll see what it's about :tongue:
Reply 89
lol oppro.
Reply 90
Thanks alawhisp, but I think I have cracked it. I have checked with some other people who work in law and they agree, no crime has been committed by either. However, to be certain I would check with your tutor when you are assigned one and I will do the same. I will crack on with unit 1, block 1 anyway. All the best x
Hey all, I can see some of you have got to a flying start already :smile:

I'm reading through the intro now and I'm a little confused about two things:
1) What's the 'Reader 1' book?
2) What's the dummy TMA all about and do we have to do anything for it?

Appreciate the help in advance, ta!
surely harry is guilty under sec 2... he was aware that someone on the coach had alcohol in their possesion :s-smilie:
Reply 93
Original post by clairelou90
surely harry is guilty under sec 2... he was aware that someone on the coach had alcohol in their possesion :s-smilie:

But the act only applies to public service vehicles whose principal use is transporting people to a designated sporting event. It's whether you think it is in this case as there was only 1 spare seat for Brian when Harry was taking everyone to the gardening show. Personally I don't think it applies in this case but it's up to you how you interpret it & answer.
Reply 94
Oppro, I'd say that because the coach was booked to take people to the garden show, it was therefore not principally going to a designated sporting event. I've done two answers for that question so I'll delete as appropriate when I've clarified it with tutor.
Reply 95
Yeah that's the answer I'm going with. I'll check it when I get assigned a tutor but I don't think it applies.
Original post by puddingandpie
Hey all, I can see some of you have got to a flying start already :smile:

I'm reading through the intro now and I'm a little confused about two things:
1) What's the 'Reader 1' book?
2) What's the dummy TMA all about and do we have to do anything for it?

Appreciate the help in advance, ta!

please anyone?
Reply 97
Original post by puddingandpie
please anyone?

TBH I've not yet looked at the dummy TMA but Reader 1 is one of the 4 A4 books you should have got. There should be Block 1, Block 2, Block 3, intro, DVD, Assesment Guide pt1 & Reader 1. The spine is the palest blue.
Original post by Oppro
TBH I've not yet looked at the dummy TMA but Reader 1 is one of the 4 A4 books you should have got. There should be Block 1, Block 2, Block 3, intro, DVD, Assesment Guide pt1 & Reader 1. The spine is the palest blue.

I don't really understand why we have it though. Maybe we'll use it later on in the course and it will become clearer then. Thank you for your reply :smile:
Anyone else think the second question on the first etma is easier than the first, lol

Quick Reply

Latest