The Student Room Group

Am I Too old for the Duke of Edinburgh???

I am currently 18 and at University, in the interests of improving my employability, as well as making myself a more well rounded individual I have become interested in the Duke of Edinburgh Award.

I've checked the site and it says you can do it if your any age between 14 and 25 so obviously I meet the legal criteria, however, the first stage the Bronze award is open to 14 year olds and I am worried about feeling really awkward and out of place if I have to be with people 4 years younger than me.

If any of you did the Bronze award do you remember if there were older people in your group with you and whether or not there was any awkwardness?

Also what is your advice should I go for it or not?
Reply 1
lol no. i did bronze when i was 16/17. go for it - besides if you get some people you know who are keen for it.. go with them!
You don't have to start at Bronze anyway, I went straight into the Gold award.
When I did my Bronze the age range in our team was from 15-23 (I was 17) and I don't think there was any awkwardness. But as has already been said, you can go straight to Gold or Silver. Apparently employers don't think much of the Bronze award anyway.
Reply 4
I started gold at either 16 or 17, but I was one of the younger ones in my year group so most people were older than me. Haven't actually finished it :P Doubt I will but ah well, the expedition was fun nonetheless. I was expecting you to say you were 22-23ish, but even that isn't too old tbh.
Original post by Crest14
I am currently 18 and at University, in the interests of improving my employability, as well as making myself a more well rounded individual I have become interested in the Duke of Edinburgh ...

Also what is your advice should I go for it or not?

I think you'll find he's already spoken for ....
Reply 6
Most people at my school are doing Bronze...

I'm not sure If that makes it something I must have, or effectively redundant?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending