The Student Room Group

What are some things a 19 year old can do to boost their CV?

I am currently 19 years old and still in college. I have some time at the moment to get involved in different things however I was wondering what are some things that would look good on my CV and boost my career prospects.

I have a part time retail job, but other than volunteering at a charity shop, what are some other goods things to get involved in or complete right now?
Reply 1
Depends what field you're going into?
Original post by bxa_842
I am currently 19 years old and still in college. I have some time at the moment to get involved in different things however I was wondering what are some things that would look good on my CV and boost my career prospects.

I have a part time retail job, but other than volunteering at a charity shop, what are some other goods things to get involved in or complete right now?

I am currently 19 years old and still in college
Not necessarily a bad thing. What are you studying?

I have some time at the moment to get involved in different things however I was wondering what are some things that would look good on my CV and boost my career prospects.
I concur with @cheadle, it depends on what you want to do after college/uni.

Normally I would recommend people to look into relevant professional qualifications for your field, but that would depend on the field as not all sectors and careers will require professional qualifications.
If the field that you want to go into involves design or programming, I would suggest putting together a portfolio of some sort to show off samples of your work.

The number one thing that would boost career prospects other than improving your CV would be networking that you did for the job. This again would depend on the job concerned.

what are some other goods things to get involved in or complete right now?
Other than relevant job experience, most other things tend to mean squat or very little. If you really wanted to, you can get awards for your volunteering or try to score an award from work to say you were employee of the month, etc.
If you don't intend to go into retail work or work in the charity sector, your current work experience means very little.
Again, a lot of this would depend on what you actually want to get into.

I could also recommend completely random things to do, but if they bear zero relevance to the actual job that you want, they would be at best minor talking points about you as a character (and you have plenty from your charity and retail work). Things can include: programming projects, making an independent zero-budget film, getting a Duke of Edinburgh Award, investing in a portfolio, writing a book, etc.

If you can be a lot more specific about what you're looking for, we can tailor our answers accordingly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending