The Student Room Group

Gentlemen, would you go out with me?

Scroll to see replies

I'm a girl - but it doesn't sound like there is anything wrong with you.
If anything, I would work on "~Often afraid to try new things because I'm self-conscious even if I'm really interested in it" --> people willing to try new things and undertake new challenges no matter what gain a lot of "attractive points" in my opinion. It shows dynamicism, and willingness to not want to waste your lifetime :tongue:

But yes, really it just comes down to meeting the right people and finding people you connect with 'better'. : )
You sound pretty perfect for me, but your low self esteem is a turnoff.
Reply 42
Original post by Anonymous
what does that mean? :/

I think he means can you roll a joint?

Christ... I haven't posted here since I was 14 years old. Good God...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by Ingrid<3
Haha ok so not all the time :smile: i don't mind when people shorten words etc. for texts or on the net.. what gets my goat is when people use the wrong word like their/there/they're or get brought and bought mixed up or use apostrophes incorrectly. Your apostrophe use is beautiful :smile:

Thank you, that's a wonderful compliment!
Original post by Ingrid<3
Australian actually. how does pot have anything to do with faith?

australian accent :coma:
Reply 45
Original post by HFerguson
australian accent :coma:

haha! i know it's pretty damn awful isn't it :P but for the record, Julia Gillard's voice is like nails on a chalkboard to most Australians.
Reply 46
I'm sorry but that's total bull****. I've studied evolution and have no problem with it. I haven't done any physics aside from physical science in grade 11 but I've certainly read a LOT about it especially quantum and cosmology. I think you'd be surprised how many religious scientists there are.
OP you are fine, most guys probably don't believe you when you say no sex until after marriage, after a few weeks they realise you are serious and they quickly become bored.
Haha I invested in the sea-monkeys because I simply couldn't believe you could buy living creatures in a packet at ToyWorld :P quite frankly that's the only exciting thing about them lol

I only really do those things socially. And yeah i know the religious thing narrows my options a lot. especially considering i don't believe in sex before marriage
That's great :smile: I think it's important for a couple to have a common goal like this. I wouldn't know where to start on my own

Well basically I have Christian values. I don't want to go through life just aiming for wealth and social position and living for myself. I want to help people and do my part to make the world a better place :P corny yes. But yeah, basically if that means raising kids and looking after a husband and helping out in my local community or getting a PhD in plant genetics and helping eradicate wheat rust in Africa, you know? does that sound naive and idealistic? See I would never say that to anyone if i weren't anonymous :P It sounds extraordinary when I'm such an ordinary person..

Anyway thanks guys for the great feedback :smile: definitely helpful

This will put off most guys regardless tbh.
Sorry that it's harsh, but it's reality.
You'd be better suited to find someone equally as religious as you. Are you part of a christian faith group / do you go to church? It's your best bet.
And you do have a lot of interests, don't worry about that. They seem interesting to me. Nobody's interests are interesting to all people, so it will depend on what kind of guy he is. If you're attractive looking, as you say you are, you should be fine. Guys tend to place more importance on looks than girls. :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 49
I'm having some self-esteem issue and wondering if there's something about me that could be improved to attract a great guy. I feel like many of my past boyfriends were disappointed with me once they got to know me.

So if someone tried to set you up on a blind date with me and told you these things (i'm trying to be as honest as possible) about me, would you be interested?

~I'm 18, just finished School
~Planning to study Agricultural Science at Uni in 2013, taking next year off to work for a local ag company
~Speak a bit of French
~Have a pet rabbit, sea-monkeys :P and a Venus fly trap all of whom I am far too fond.
~I've studied piano (and could probably play you one song haha) but am not particularly musical
~I'm very interested in all areas of science especially botany
~Very interested in art esp famous historical artists although I'm not at all artistic
~Love hearing classical music live as well as musicals, plays etc. (yet to try opera)
~I'm not particularly outgoing and often get very quiet in social situations with new people
~Often afraid to try new things because I'm self-conscious even if I'm really interested in it
~I love good food and can smash out a batch of amazing choc chip cookies but apart from that I can't really cook yet
~I'm deeply religious and my faith is a huge part of my life however I do drink a bit, go out on the town, smoked pot a couple of times etc.
~Grammar is very important to me I can't help correcting people sometimes
~I love good classic literature and film and clever tv shows. Can't stand anything trashy, crass or with a bad message.
~I hope that one day I can use whatever I have to help people living disadvantaged lives.
~I'm told by a lot of guys that I'm attractive so hopefully there's no problem there :P

Anyway that's a bit detailed for a blind date setup :P but please be honest guys. Tell me what you think

You sound cute. I personally wouldn't but it's not your fault, I just wouldn't suit someone strongly religious myself.
haha! i know it's pretty damn awful isn't it :P but for the record, Julia Gillard's voice is like nails on a chalkboard to most Australians.

nah it's bonerific :awesome: just had a listen to that there prime minster of yours however and it was quite horrendous :frown:
Reply 51
I'm having some self-esteem issue and wondering if there's something about me that could be improved to attract a great guy. I feel like many of my past boyfriends were disappointed with me once they got to know me.

So if someone tried to set you up on a blind date with me and told you these things (i'm trying to be as honest as possible) about me, would you be interested?

~Planning to study Agricultural Science at Uni in 2013, taking next year off to work for a local ag company
~Speak a bit of French
~Have a pet rabbit, sea-monkeys :P and a Venus fly trap all of whom I am far too fond.
~I've studied piano (and could probably play you one song haha) but am not particularly musical
~Very interested in art esp famous historical artists although I'm not at all artistic
~Love hearing classical music live as well as musicals, plays etc. (yet to try opera)
~I'm not particularly outgoing and often get very quiet in social situations with new people
~Often afraid to try new things because I'm self-conscious even if I'm really interested in it
~I love good food and can smash out a batch of amazing choc chip cookies but apart from that I can't really cook yet
~I'm deeply religious and my faith is a huge part of my life however I do drink a bit, go out on the town, smoked pot a couple of times etc.
~I love good classic literature and film and clever tv shows. Can't stand anything trashy, crass or with a bad message.
~I hope that one day I can use whatever I have to help people living disadvantaged lives.
~I'm told by a lot of guys that I'm attractive so hopefully there's no problem there :P

Anyway that's a bit detailed for a blind date setup :P but please be honest guys. Tell me what you think

Hey, thought I'd give you my honest opinion. Answer is no, I wouldn't date you.

Some reasons why:

1. You play a bit of piano (+ points) but not very musical? I play drums and love going to see live music. Always on the look out for interesting new bands.
2. I actually failed GCSE French, ouch.
3. Also interested in Science, more mathematical e.g. CompSci degree. Not sure Botany is particularly complimentary.
4. Not interested in Art at all.
5. I enjoy going out and meeting new people.
6. Love trying new things, bungee jumped off a bridge in Bulgaria just for the hell of it.
7. Secular Humanist, don't think we'd get on there.
8. Not interested in charity work but not against charity.
9. Being attractive is not the only factor in a relationship although I'd admit it plays an important role.

Nothing personal but I don't think we have anything in common at all.
Original post by NS17
Hey, thought I'd give you my honest opinion. Answer is no, I wouldn't date you.

Some reasons why:

1. You play a bit of piano (+ points) but not very musical? I play drums and love going to see live music. Always on the look out for interesting new bands.
2. I actually failed GCSE French, ouch.
3. Also interested in Science, more mathematical e.g. CompSci degree. Not sure Botany is particularly complimentary.
4. Not interested in Art at all.
5. I enjoy going out and meeting new people.
6. Love trying new things, bungee jumped off a bridge in Bulgaria just for the hell of it.
7. Secular Humanist, don't think we'd get on there.
8. Not interested in charity work but not against charity.
9. Being attractive is not the only factor in a relationship although I'd admit it plays an important role.

Nothing personal but I don't think we have anything in common at all.

that's cool :smile: i'm not your type. but when i say i'm not very musical i don't mean i don't LIKE music i just mean i'm not that talented at it :smile: thanks for ze feedbacks!
Original post by ChilliBonbon
This will put off most guys regardless tbh.
Sorry that it's harsh, but it's reality.
You'd be better suited to find someone equally as religious as you. Are you part of a christian faith group / do you go to church? It's your best bet.
And you do have a lot of interests, don't worry about that. They seem interesting to me. Nobody's interests are interesting to all people, so it will depend on what kind of guy he is. If you're attractive looking, as you say you are, you should be fine. Guys tend to place more importance on looks than girls. :wink:

Yeah no i understand that. and tbh honest i don't really want someone who doesn't believe in anything :/ so it works both ways.

In fact there have only been two guys i've ever met and thought wow i would actually marry him. One was strongly Catholic like me and the other was an non-denominational theist who was keen to pray with me :smile: i found both really attractive because of that. So yeah. I know the kind of guy i'm looking for. I guess i'm just wondering who's out there looking for me

Bzzz, I can't be with someone who considers an invisible sky daddy more important than anything else. Also, I don't like idiots.
Reply 55

~Speak a bit of French

LOL at the irony of the fact that "Grammar is very important to me I can't help correcting people sometimes" doesn't make sense gramatically. If you're going to bring others up on it, you have to get it right yourself.
Original post by PeckhamKid
LOL at the irony of the fact that "Grammar is very important to me I can't help correcting people sometimes" doesn't make sense gramatically. If you're going to bring others up on it, you have to get it right yourself.

We all make mistakes :wink: It's just that some are worse than others.
Reply 57

~Speak a bit of French

You sound like you'd make an amazing date and you'd never be short of things to talk about!!
Reply 58
The first thing that attracts a guy to a girl is looks, so you won't get an honest answer without pics.

Assuming you are alright looking, it'd be whether you're nice, sweet, kind and feminine and not a demanding, nagging, over analytical, neurotic bitch.

Although the fact that you make check lists about yourself is not a good sign as far as being over analytical is concerned, the self doubt is kinda endearing.

That said, I'm gonna say no I wouldn't, because you posted on an internet forum asking if people would go out with you.

I'm not trolling you, just go out, be friendly and meet people rather than asking for ego massages.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by dulst
The first thing that attracts a guy to a girl is looks, so you won't get an honest answer without pics.

Assuming you are alright looking, it'd be whether you're nice, sweet, kind and feminine and not a demanding, nagging, over analytical, neurotic bitch.

Although the fact that you make check lists about yourself is not a good sign as far as being over analytical is concerned, the self doubt is kinda endearing.

That said, I'm gonna say no I wouldn't, because you posted on an internet forum asking if people would go out with you.

I'm not trolling you, just go out, be friendly and meet people rather than asking for ego massages.

lol you're right of course :smile: again i'm not worried about my looks, that's not something i can change.
I posted on an internet forum because I'm not desperate and sad enough to ask people in real life lol. so i can deal with that :smile:

but could you explain what you mean by self doubt being kind of endearing? most people say that a lack of confidence is off putting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending