The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow Student - Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hi !

I received an offer from Glasgow and I have to reach 92 at the TOEFL. The problem is I got 86... (22/21/22/21) But I will spend 1 month in England in august and I stated it in my personal statement. Would Glasgow accept me ?

Do I Have to contact directly the university through the email adress which I was given by UCAS ?
(edited 12 years ago)
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 41
No idea ? Please ! :smile:
Original post by Rio-Glasgow
Hi there,

Just to add to this. You may be referring to the UNDERGRADUATE WELCOME BURSARY. This is a new bursary just announced by the University of Glasgow.

It is likely that fee discounts will happen automatically through the University's online registration system and that students will be asked to decide whether they want the tuition fee discount or the cash bursary when they register online.

The online registration process can be started at anytime from summer 2012 if/when they have the exam results needed to meet their offer terms. There won't be an application form. The decision about when the cash bursary will be paid hasn't been made yet.

More information will be sent to applicants about the Welcome Bursary and other scholarships.

Hope this helps.

Kate, Recruitment & International Office

Hi, I was hoping you could tell me whether it's been decided when the cash bursary would be paid to students yet? Just trying to determine how poor I'm going to be during the first term :tongue: Thanks :smile:
Hello,

I was wondering whether I can still get an unconditional offer if I get 35 points instead of 36 IB points ( my condition is 36 points) ?
I will quote myself from a thread I made today :
Hello,
I have considered applying for a degree in Economics in the University of Glasgow but I feel flustered. That is because I want to pursue a career in the field of analysis,banking or finance and I do not want to end up as an "insurance guy" .Thus I strongly consider studying economics with applied mathematics (Joint Honours). The Glasgow's Uni has two different degrees which are very close to this- BSc in Applied Mathematics with Economics and MA in Economics with Mathematics . A question which stands before me is to what degree is economics taught in the former (because i do want to focus on the Economics and not on the Math). I sincerely thank for all your responses in advance
Reply 45
Original post by G8D
Is there an official procedure through which one can lodge a complaint about a lecturer? I'd rather not pursue it through my School as they have rather openly swept such complaints under the rug before.

It depends on the nature of the complaint.
You might want to look at this.
www.gla.ac.uk/services/senateoffice/workingwithstudents/complaints/

However, you should probably take a trip to the SRC advice centre
www.src.gla.ac.uk/advice/using/

If it is an issue that is widespread rather than something individual to you, then I'd suggest you ask around your year group about making a complaint as a group rather than an individual.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 46
Hi :smile: I have a conditional offer and one of contitions is IELTS at 6.5 with no subset under 6. So I took my IELTS test and I scored an overall band 7, but one of subsets (writing) is 5.5 :frown: So do I have any chances to get in university if i fullfill other conditions?
Original post by Vega.
Hi :smile: I have a conditional offer and one of contitions is IELTS at 6.5 with no subset under 6. So I took my IELTS test and I scored an overall band 7, but one of subsets (writing) is 5.5 :frown: So do I have any chances to get in university if i fullfill other conditions?

Hi Vega,

I think its best if you contact admissions office about that coz some university may allow you to register for a pre sessional-english course if you failed to meet the english requirements by an inch....which course are you applying for?
Reply 48
Original post by onneetse83
Hi Vega,

I think its best if you contact admissions office about that coz some university may allow you to register for a pre sessional-english course if you failed to meet the english requirements by an inch....which course are you applying for?

I'm applying for Arts & Media Informatics/Film & Television Studies. I am going to take my English state exam too, so maybe the university could aproove it as my english requirements?
Reply 49
Hello,
I've accepted an offer and hopefully i'll be studying English Literature next year.
I recently printed out the general term dates and it said something about exams finishing as late as the 16th of August?! is that for everyone?
Thanks x
Reply 50
Hello,
I'm in my second year currently studying modern languages. I will be taking two of my languages on to honours next year but my "filler" subject this year is a third language. I really do not have much interest in it and quite frankly it is taking up too much of my time studying for it, when I have no intention of continuing with it and studying for my other languages is of more importance.
What I would like to know, is that if I fail this final exam for my "filler" subject, will it affect my credits and the continuation of my other subjects next year?
As a note: I have attended all lectures and seminars for the subject, handed in all excersises and attempted all class tests and exams.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hello there,
I am currently studying As levels in Shenfield, Essex
I am currently looking at going to Glasgow University but no little about it
could anyone give me a little insight into the university as well as the city itself
e.g: night life and libraries etc...
Reply 52
Just wondering what leniance the uni puts towards grades?? My conditional is ABB for history, if I were to get AAC or BBB would this be accepted, or would I have to go straight into clearance???? Thanksssss :smile:
Reply 53
Original post by JJTEASE
Just wondering what leniance the uni puts towards grades?? My conditional is ABB for history, if I were to get AAC or BBB would this be accepted, or would I have to go straight into clearance???? Thanksssss :smile:

It depends on how many remaining places they will have for that course.
Hello, I've got an unconditional offer to study History at Glasgow. I was just wondering what the courses available at honours level were like (I couldn't find anything beyond second year on the website). Thanks :smile:
Original post by NaeBad
Hello,
I'm in my second year currently studying modern languages. I will be taking two of my languages on to honours next year but my "filler" subject this year is a third language. I really do not have much interest in it and quite frankly it is taking up too much of my time studying for it, when I have no intention of continuing with it and studying for my other languages is of more importance.
What I would like to know, is that if I fail this final exam for my "filler" subject, will it affect my credits and the continuation of my other subjects next year?
As a note: I have attended all lectures and seminars for the subject, handed in all excersises and attempted all class tests and exams.

No matter what grade you get, even if it is an E, you will still get the credits for the course. As long as you do well in your other 2 subjects and your gpa is high enough you should be okay for next year :smile: Good luck!
Reply 56
Could someone plz tell me why does university of gla dont answer to all my messages
R they really that busy?????????? ??????????? >:frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 57
I applied for the French and Spanish course ,got an uncondional offer which i have accepted but now i want to change it to French and Russian.What should i do?Is it possible? I suppose i should talk to my adviser when i come to Glasgow but on the other hand when i registered at MyCampus yesterday it asked me to put the course i would follow and officially it is the one that i applied for but as i said i want to change Spanish for Russian......Is it ok to to put down Spanish and then at university to change it to Russian or to put down Russian so they can see that i want to change my second language?
Reply 58
Original post by aledora
I applied for the French and Spanish course ,got an uncondional offer which i have accepted but now i want to change it to French and Russian.What should i do?Is it possible? I suppose i should talk to my adviser when i come to Glasgow but on the other hand when i registered at MyCampus yesterday it asked me to put the course i would follow and officially it is the one that i applied for but as i said i want to change Spanish for Russian......Is it ok to to put down Spanish and then at university to change it to Russian or to put down Russian so they can see that i want to change my second language?

its definitely worth even emailing your adviser about on mycampus. have you tried that? if it doesn't clash in timetables i'd say it seems possible. the MA degree is really flexible apparently.
Reply 59
Hello. I want to choose Film & TV studies as one of my subjects and I've enrolled for it. However, it's written that "entry to FTV Level 1 requires admission via Admissions and Recruitment Service, at advertised College tariff". What exactly does it mean? Will I be able to study film & tv?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending