The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow Student - Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Hello, I'm interested in studying law at Glasgow, I've heard many rumours that a law degree at Glasgow would only be good for practising law in Scotland and it isn't a great choice for studying English law, is this ture? Does this perhaps mean that the main focus at Glasgow for law is Scottish law?
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Hi, I was looking at accommodation and it appears you have to pay £450 just to accept your room?? My family pretty much lives on the breadline and I can in no way afford this...please advise?
Hello!
My name is Attila Józsa. I am living in hungary and I have just got an opportunity to live in glasgow. So my question is, that how can I study some IT in University of Glasgow, what should I do to let me study there. Thank you for your answer.
Reply 583
If you're going to plan to go to Glasgow, avoid Murano Student Village, the water is dirty, the insides are disgusting and are never cleaned and the place is based off prison plans, AVOID, also on my first day I had mould and cobwebs on the walls, if you want evidence then just ask
Hi!

I'll be studying at Glasgow from this September for definite and am wondering about accommodation.
Do you have a better chance of securing the accommodation you want the earlier you apply?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SkyRees
Hi, I was looking at accommodation and it appears you have to pay £450 just to accept your room?? My family pretty much lives on the breadline and I can in no way afford this...please advise?

Hi @SkyRees :smile:

In order to guarantee your place at University Accommodation, you'll need to make a prepayment. This is part of the total fees. The amount for next session's prepayment hasn't been published yet, but will soon be on the website.

You don't need to make the payment when you apply, only later when you receive and wish to accept an offer. First offers are usually sent from April onwards, so this should give you some time to plan and save for your accommodation deposit.

If you have any further queries regarding this, you can contact us at [email protected]

Original post by Jj9798
If you're going to plan to go to Glasgow, avoid Murano Student Village, the water is dirty, the insides are disgusting and are never cleaned and the place is based off prison plans, AVOID, also on my first day I had mould and cobwebs on the walls, if you want evidence then just ask

Hi @Jj9798,

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience at Murano Street Student Village. Most students do report enjoying living at Murano, but unfortunately this is not the case for all :frown:

If you don't mind, I'd like you to DM your Student ID Number so we can investigate and see what went wrong?

If you wish to move to different halls of residences you can submit a Room Transfer Request form by logging into your accommodation account through MyGlasgow

Hope we can help!:redface:

Original post by natalie9rees
Hi!

I'll be studying at Glasgow from this September for definite and am wondering about accommodation.
Do you have a better chance of securing the accommodation you want the earlier you apply?
Thanks
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi @natalie9rees,

Glad to hear you are coming to Glasgow Uni, you'll love it! :biggrin:

Rooms are allocated on a first come first served basis so YES, the sooner you apply the better your chances to get your top choice accommodation :smile:

Applications will open this month, February. Keep an eye on our social media sites (twitter/facebook/instagram) as we'll announce it as soon as these open!

For more information, you can check our Official Q&A Forum

Regards,
Sandra
Accommodation Services
Hi, does anyone have the email for the general undergrad admissions questions? I was only able to find the ones for undergrad courses.
Hi, I'm considering applying for medicine for 2018 entry and am currently sitting 5 highers, one of which (maths) i'm struggling with and I'm not too sure that i will manage to get an A in, since the requirements are AAAAA (I'm going to crash Biology in S6 since I haven't done Biology). Is it possible to get an offer at AAAAB considering that my other 4 relevant subjects are at an A and I will be hopefully doing 3 advanced and higher biology next year?
Original post by University of Glasgow Accommodation
Hi @SkyRees :smile:

In order to guarantee your place at University Accommodation, you'll need to make a prepayment. This is part of the total fees. The amount for next session's prepayment hasn't been published yet, but will soon be on the website.

You don't need to make the payment when you apply, only later when you receive and wish to accept an offer. First offers are usually sent from April onwards, so this should give you some time to plan and save for your accommodation deposit.

If you have any further queries regarding this, you can contact us at [email protected]

Hi @Jj9798,

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience at Murano Street Student Village. Most students do report enjoying living at Murano, but unfortunately this is not the case for all :frown:

If you don't mind, I'd like you to DM your Student ID Number so we can investigate and see what went wrong?

If you wish to move to different halls of residences you can submit a Room Transfer Request form by logging into your accommodation account through MyGlasgow

Hope we can help!:redface:

Hi @natalie9rees,

Glad to hear you are coming to Glasgow Uni, you'll love it! :biggrin:

Rooms are allocated on a first come first served basis so YES, the sooner you apply the better your chances to get your top choice accommodation :smile:

Applications will open this month, February. Keep an eye on our social media sites (twitter/facebook/instagram) as we'll announce it as soon as these open!

For more information, you can check our Official Q&A Forum

Regards,
Sandra
Accommodation Services

Hi, again I appreciate the info but I am literally unable to pay that amount and no other university has forced me to. Am I able to pay it once I have a student loan payment or...?

I already accepted my offer from Glasgow before sending that message because I wasn't expecting such a massive bill just for a place to sleep...
Hi @SkyRees,

The prepayment needs to be paid at the moment of accepting your offer. If you receive an offer of accommodation early in the process but are not able to make the payment at that point, you can write to us and ask for that offer to be withdrawn and reinstated again later in the process.

If you are a first year undergraduate student an offer of accommodation is guaranteed if you apply before the 22nd August, but note that delaying your application may result in your offer not meeting your first preferences.

Sandra
Accommodation Services
Reply 590
You can't just assume most students love it when it usually has less than 3/5 on reviews from previous tenants, people only pick Murano because it's the cheapest option
Hi, I have now received two conditional offers (from Glasgow and Aberdeen) and they both specify the required IELTS level, but I have added my reference number to my application and sent a certificate to all of my choices via the British Council. Does it mean it didn't reach the universities or is it just automatically included?
Does applying for student accommodation earlier on give you a greater chance of success in living where you most want to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by natalie9rees
Does applying for student accommodation earlier on give you a greater chance of success in living where you most want to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it does, check Glasgow Accomodation thread :smile:
Hi @natalie9rees,

As @Peet79 says yes, your chances of getting an offer for your top choices do usually depend on how early you made your applications. Rooms are allocated on a first come first served basis, so the sooner you apply the better your chances! :smile:

Sandra
Accommodation Services
Original post by University of Glasgow Accommodation
Hi @natalie9rees,

As @Peet79 says yes, your chances of getting an offer for your top choices do usually depend on how early you made your applications. Rooms are allocated on a first come first served basis, so the sooner you apply the better your chances! :smile:

Sandra
Accommodation Services

Thanks. So will the applications be ready this month?
Hi @natalie9rees,

Yes, we are working on the final touches and expect to have the system up and running by the end of February.
We'll make an announcement on social media as soon as they open :smile: Look for @uofgliving!

Sandra
Accommodation Services
Hi, I was wondering is there is any information avalible about suggested reading for undergraduate courses at Glasgow starting this September?
Does the University of Glasgow accept transfers for year two entry into Glasgow if I have completed year one at another University - obviously this would be subject to my grades etc but just wondering if they accept transfers at all?
Reply 599
Hi,
I received an offer for Economics and Politics. It's 90% from both SLs and HLs but now I'm afraid that one of my SL's score will be 85-90%. How often a person that didn't meet the conditions is accepted? Is it extremely rare? Or maybe a slight difference between results and conditions is acceptable?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending