The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow Student - Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Original post by daymeetsnight
Hi, I was wondering what the lgbtq+ presence was like in Glasgow? Cause all unis say they have it but I’d like to hear from an actual students experience?

Hi, can confirm that there is a strong lgbtq presence at GU. It's a very liberal uni
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 681
Hi,
I was just wondering if any current/ past students can tell me about the student life at Glasgow? In terms of events that the uni actually put on? is it similar to unis such as St Andrews where there are balls/ formals often or do students create their own events? is there a large student presence in Glasgow uni or is it very much just groups of people (who happen to be students) in a big city? Does Glasgow provide good work opportunities during studies? Are the students all close like they are at smaller unis (such as St. A as they operate largely in societies? Are the lecturers helpful and do they have a good relationship with the students?
Thanks!
Original post by Davo12
Hi,
I was just wondering if any current/ past students can tell me about the student life at Glasgow? In terms of events that the uni actually put on? is it similar to unis such as St Andrews where there are balls/ formals often or do students create their own events? is there a large student presence in Glasgow uni or is it very much just groups of people (who happen to be students) in a big city? Does Glasgow provide good work opportunities during studies? Are the students all close like they are at smaller unis (such as St. A as they operate largely in societies? Are the lecturers helpful and do they have a good relationship with the students?
Thanks!

Hi, I am in my fourth year at GU.
1. There are lots of university events; each school (post-covid) has a ball each year. There is also the daft friday ball every year in the GUU which is open to all students the week before christmas. Lots of societies have their own balls as well. (I have only ever been to one as a +1 at the Law ball, mainly because they're expensive).
2. There is a big student presence. If you want to feel a part of the community, live in the West End (close to campus) as it's basically a big student bubble and is only a 10min subway or 30min walk to the city centre.
3. I can't really comment on work opportunities during studies as my third and fourth year have been impacted by the pandemic but its a big city so lots of opportunities for part time work and the online careers portal posts vacancies and internships etc. I personally haven't paid much attention to these resources, however, as I am doing a MSc next year.
4.The students are not close - there are too many to know everyone, even on your course - but there is definitely a sense of community. Most people (myself included) make friends through societies rather than subjects. This is very easy to do though as there are so many societies you are bound to meet people with similar interests; you can also join academic societies if you want to meet others on your course/network.
5. The lecturers are generally helpful. It's a bit of a pain right now but usually you can just have a chat after the lecture if you have a question. I can't really answer this though because I imagine it largely depends on the department.
Reply 683
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I am in my fourth year at GU.
1. There are lots of university events; each school (post-covid) has a ball each year. There is also the daft friday ball every year in the GUU which is open to all students the week before christmas. Lots of societies have their own balls as well. (I have only ever been to one as a +1 at the Law ball, mainly because they're expensive).
2. There is a big student presence. If you want to feel a part of the community, live in the West End (close to campus) as it's basically a big student bubble and is only a 10min subway or 30min walk to the city centre.
3. I can't really comment on work opportunities during studies as my third and fourth year have been impacted by the pandemic but its a big city so lots of opportunities for part time work and the online careers portal posts vacancies and internships etc. I personally haven't paid much attention to these resources, however, as I am doing a MSc next year.
4.The students are not close - there are too many to know everyone, even on your course - but there is definitely a sense of community. Most people (myself included) make friends through societies rather than subjects. This is very easy to do though as there are so many societies you are bound to meet people with similar interests; you can also join academic societies if you want to meet others on your course/network.
5. The lecturers are generally helpful. It's a bit of a pain right now but usually you can just have a chat after the lecture if you have a question. I can't really answer this though because I imagine it largely depends on the department.

Thanks so much!
Original post by daymeetsnight
Hi, I was wondering what the lgbtq+ presence was like in Glasgow? Cause all unis say they have it but I’d like to hear from an actual students experience?

Hi, you will find some useful links here- https://www.gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/humanresources/equalitydiversity/students/lgbt/#
We have just celebrated LGBT History Month and the rainbow flag was flying above the University Tower https://twitter.com/i/status/1359428140695580678
For all undergraduates who have received an offer to study at the University of Glasgow, there is an unofficial WhatsApp group made by the students. Please join and introduce yourselves (subject you have received an offer for, your name and country) : https://chat.whatsapp.com/IjudlGbZKyd3XxwVZnhHig

Do pass on the link for undergraduates who will be studying at the University of Glasgow for the upcoming September 2021 intake.
Original post by University of Glasgow
Hello everyone,

Have you got a question about the University of Glasgow?

If so, post your question in this thread and our official representative will be online next week to clarify and queries you may have. We're particularly interested in answering any issues postgraduate courses, should you have then :smile:

So get asking and we'll be back soon to answer everyone's posts :smile:

Hey, guys just a question as to if anyone has got into Glasgow University Beng courses without an A in maths. I'm in that position right now I got a B in maths and an A in physics and the aeronautical BEng course asks for both the subjects. My grades are AAABB (bio,english,phsyics,maths,chem) and i am taking advanced physics, advanced maths, higher engineering science, and higher PE next year in S6. Have i got a good chance?

cheers guys
Hey guys
Could you please tell me about the freshers day events which are there for 17 year olds? Since most things I found involve clubs and drinking which I'm underage for.
Also I'll be joining this year for common law, and wanted to know more about the law ball and other such ball like events, idk it excites me and we don't have things like that where I'm staying (I'll be an international student), so any advice and info would be super helpful!
Hello,

I will be starting a 4 year Computing Science course at Glasgow next this year, but I have to select three different subjects to study for my first year. Are there any resources to help me pick? Also, what restrictions are there? Will guidance be given during enrolment?
Original post by gawndaft98
Hello and welcome to the Ask a Glasgow Student thread. :biggrin:

Many thanks to @University of Glasgow for starting this thread originally. :smile:

I'm gawndaft98, feel free to ask me anything about the university or applying there. :woo:

If you have any questions about Medicine applications, feel free to chat to recent medicine offer holder @Aislynnnn too. :yep:

Tag one of us in this thread and we'll be sure to get back to you with an answer to your question(s). :banana:

For a big list of "Ask a Student" threads, click here.

Which Uni would be the best for accounting and Finance-->> Glasgow/Warwick/Kings/City(Bayes)/Bristol also considering there is now professional placement in Glasgow wherein others give that. also, what are the prospects of internships and spring weeks in- investment bank if I do a degree from Glasgow

Many thanks to @University of Glasgow for starting this thread originally. :smile:

I'm gawndaft98, feel free to ask me anything about the university or applying there. :woo:

If you have any questions about Medicine applications, feel free to chat to recent medicine offer holder @Aislynnnn too. :yep:

Tag one of us in this thread and we'll be sure to get back to you with an answer to your question(s). :banana:

@gawndaft98

do you have an idea of what dates the half term/October break will be?

Hi, our son is currently doing a masters at Glasgow Uni. His marks have generally been high Bs and a 2 As and 1 D in a team work module. His last module has unforutnately, been marked E1. Does this mean that he has failed the whole masters course. We having been trying to find out if he is allowed to retake modules? can you clarify this for us?
Hi, I submitted my AP scores and SAT scores as proof of meeting the conditions of my offer last Monday but my offer is still showing as conditional. I’m international. I’m starting to worry about getting my Visa on time to start the course as it takes about 3 weeks to get a visa plus the time it may take to get the CAS letter. Should I contact admissions again? I don’t like to bother people as I know they are busy. Thanks for the advise!

Reply 693
Original post by BB-int2023
Hi, I submitted my AP scores and SAT scores as proof of meeting the conditions of my offer last Monday but my offer is still showing as conditional. I’m international. I’m starting to worry about getting my Visa on time to start the course as it takes about 3 weeks to get a visa plus the time it may take to get the CAS letter. Should I contact admissions again? I don’t like to bother people as I know they are busy. Thanks for the advise!

Hi @BB-int2023

Thanks your enquiry. Yes I think it is worth contacting the admissions team again and I would do so using the contact form at https://www.gla.ac.uk/study/enquire/

If select "CAS" in the category drop down it will ensure it goes to the best team to assist you. 🙂

Good luck!
Hi, I am an international student who will be spending the next year in UoG, so I have many questions! (Sorry in advance)
1. Young Persons' Free Bus Travel Scheme -> I am under 22 years old, so I believe I am eligible. I want to know will UoG apply for us / does this benefit come with the student card / how to apply if UoG does not do it for us?
2. Any recommended shops / caterers in UoG? I live in student accommodation but I really don't want to cook and wash the dishes everyday, so I am looking forward to trying food in UoG. Would appreciate any recommendations (and price range if possible so I know what to expect)
3. Daily / monthly expenses? Since I have to ask my parents to cover the living costs, I would like to know how much would you spend on average? (Excluding tuition and accommodation fees)
4. Recommended shops / places to go for new students / international students. I am pretty sure I need to go shopping for some groceries or household items to add to my student accommodation, so aside from Marks and Spencer where can I go?
5. Looking forward to do some sports, maybe twice every month or once every week. Will joining a sports club be too demanding / time consuming? I have never joined a sports club before so I really don't know what to expect. I want to join during my leisure time, and not being forced to join activities, so I would appreciate any advice whether joining would be suitable for me or not. (I am not attending Fresher's week, so I am not sure how can I know more about each sports club / society either)
6. I would like to apply for an official transcript at the end of my academic year in late May or early June 2024. I was wondering if UoG takes their time in issuing their transcripts? Is there anyway this process can be expedited (I don't mind paying extra to obtain it ASAP after my course ends)? I am required to return to my own university by late June and provide them with an official transcript to transfer credits so I can proceed to my next year of studies, so I would appreciate if I can obtain my transcript from University of Glasgow in time before I return home.

I would really appreciate any advice or suggestions or recommendations. Thank you so much! <3
All of the answers to your questions can be easily found with brief Internet searches, such as looking at the bus scheme website, contacting the Uni department to deal with transcripts, finding easily located information on Uni and student/student union websites that offer cost of living advice and looking at uni and local gym membership prices.
Reply 696
The bus pass, you need to apply once you have your full term-time address (ie not just the name of the Halls) so probably not until you pick up your keys.
2&4 - there are plenty so just figure this out when you are there - will depend where you are living, taking bus/walking, what you like. Only rich people do all their grocery shopping (it's called "messages" by native Scots) at M&S. Lidl and Aldi are much cheaper supermarkets, also Asda, Tesco (yuk), Morrisons, Sainsburys, Waitrose (expensive), Iceland, Heron Foods, etc etc etc etc etc. Not to mention corner shops.
5 go along to the sports fair or whatever it is called in welcome week.

Have a great time and don't worry about these things in advance, it'll be easier once you are there.
Reply 697
hi, I’m a student joining UofG this September for my MA in International Relations. I looked through some of the 2023-2024 key dates posted on the uni’s website and it seems like there are no summer holidays? and the academic year starts and ends in September? can someone pls confirm if that’s in fact correct and/or normal, I’m horrified.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending