The Student Room Group

Access Diploma in Social Sciences. (grading/credits/percentage problem)

Hey all, I'm a Northern Irish student doing an Access Diploma in Social Sciences just outside of Belfast. I'm interested in pursuing Neuroscience after I complete my course. Thing is, I just emailed a university in Leeds about their qualifications requirements and I was told that Access is accepted.

This is what she sent me:

"Thank you for your email. For the neuroscience course we only ask for GCSE science to be at the minimum level of C so for applying to Leeds With your Access course we look for at least 60 credits overall with at least 45 at level 3. We also like to see at least 15-20 credits in 2 different science subjects at level 3. We would ask for a distinction in all science and science related credits/modules.

I hope this helps with your enquiry. If you have any further questions do not hesitate to get in touch.

Best Wishes"

Thing is, I've never heard of these "credit things" in my college. It's all percentages. The universities here (Northern Ireland) only ask for Percentages. It's usually in the 65-75 range for courses. So could somebody possibly break it down for me? Thank you!
Reply 1
Im sure someone will know al lot more about this than I, but the Access course is made up of units, like assignments which mostly is worth 3 credits.
Like, one of my units were Colour Theory which is worth 3 credits on level 3.

I think most courses are a minimum of 45 credits on level 3 and 15 on level 2.

So I think theyre just asking you to pass the course (60 credits overall) with all distinctions in science relatede units, where two different subjects should be long enough to cover 15-20 credits.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will point out if I totally wrong.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Philemon
Im sure someone will know al lot more about this than I, but the Access course is made up of units, like assignments which mostly is worth 3 credits.
Like, one of my units were Colour Theory which is worth 3 credits on level 3.

I think most courses are a minimum of 45 credits on level 3 and 15 on level 2.

So I think theyre just asking you to pass the course (60 credits overall) with all distinctions in science relatede units, where two different subjects should be long enough to cover 15-20 credits.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will point out if I totally wrong.

Thanks for the response. I'll have to ask about it when I'm back in college. What you're saying makes sense, but it's still a little foreign to me lol.

Wait a minute, I think I gotcha!

Looks like I'm going to have to find out how many credits are available with my course! (somehow!)

Thanks for your input. I've gotten 75% and 97% in 2 of my modules so far so here's hoping that what they're asking for is within grasp! lol

- Gee.
Reply 3
Original post by Geee
Hey all, I'm a Northern Irish student doing an Access Diploma in Social Sciences just outside of Belfast. I'm interested in pursuing Neuroscience after I complete my course. Thing is, I just emailed a university in Leeds about their qualifications requirements and I was told that Access is accepted.

This is what she sent me:

"Thank you for your email. For the neuroscience course we only ask for GCSE science to be at the minimum level of C so for applying to Leeds With your Access course we look for at least 60 credits overall with at least 45 at level 3. We also like to see at least 15-20 credits in 2 different science subjects at level 3. We would ask for a distinction in all science and science related credits/modules.

I hope this helps with your enquiry. If you have any further questions do not hesitate to get in touch.

Best Wishes"

Thing is, I've never heard of these "credit things" in my college. It's all percentages. The universities here (Northern Ireland) only ask for Percentages. It's usually in the 65-75 range for courses. So could somebody possibly break it down for me? Thank you!

Hi Geee
percentagewise if you get between or averaging 65-75 on your coursework that would be equivalent to our Merit grades here on our Uk Access courses.Distinctions would be roughly between 85-95 percentage i think to ours,so to gain what you need for that particular university you needed to obtain as well as main 85% in all your subject areas
hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
The credits are just the course structure, not your grades. If that's Uni of Leeds definitely check with your tutor, because as far as I'm aware, most if not all Access courses are 45 credits. Leeds and Sheffield Hallam were the only ones I looked at that wanted 60.
Reply 5
Original post by CalHull
The credits are just the course structure, not your grades. If that's Uni of Leeds definitely check with your tutor, because as far as I'm aware, most if not all Access courses are 45 credits. Leeds and Sheffield Hallam were the only ones I looked at that wanted 60.

That's incorrect, all Access courses have 60 credits, and to pass, a minimum of 45 must be at level 3, and maximum of 15 at level 2. Most students study many more credits than is necessary so the tutor picks your best marks for your diploma.

OP: Was Leeds University aware that you were from Ireland? It sounds like yours may be graded differently. All distinctions is not an easy task, but not impossible. They're basically asking for an "A" in every assignment that appears on your diploma.
Reply 6
Original post by wizardtop
Hi Geee
percentagewise if you get between or averaging 65-75 on your coursework that would be equivalent to our Merit grades here on our Uk Access courses.Distinctions would be roughly between 85-95 percentage i think to ours,so to gain what you need for that particular university you needed to obtain as well as main 85% in all your subject areas
hope this helps :smile:

75% on the Queen's Belfast NI access courses are considered equal. to AAA at A Level and Queen's entry requirements are generally among the upper tier of UK Uni's outside of the obvious ones. I know people have got into Cambridge/Oxford, they certainly didn't have 95% :tongue:.
Reply 7
Original post by Facade123
75% on the Queen's Belfast NI access courses are considered equal. to AAA at A Level and Queen's entry requirements are generally among the upper tier of UK Uni's outside of the obvious ones. I know people have got into Cambridge/Oxford, they certainly didn't have 95% :tongue:.

I stand corrected Facade123 :confused:as i was only trying to help the forum thread starter really what he asked
Reply 8
Original post by wizardtop
I stand corrected Facade123 :confused:as i was only trying to help the forum thread starter really what he asked

Didn't mean to come across as an ass, just saying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending