The Student Room Group

Is University the be all and end all?

Considering how so much pressure is put on students nowadays, that if they don't have a degree at the bare minimum, they will be at the bottom of the pile.

Is it impossible to start off a career without at least an undergraduates degree or equivalent?
I think it depends what you want to do. If you want to be a scientist or a doctor for example then yes it is the be all and end all but generally it isnt. You can do allsorts without a degree and can work yourself up from the bottom as you have an extra three years in work. If university isnt something you want to do then dont being happy is more important.
No. Nothing is really impossible but it's very very very improbable to start a career without a degree (from a top uni + work experience in chosen career these days).
Reply 3
If you have an Idea or Vision then I suppose you don't need to.
However if you're looking for a career in something..... THE VALUE of a Degree has gone up. (fullstop!) 9k!
I think it depends what you want to do. If you want to be a scientist or a doctor for example then yes it is the be all and end all but generally it isnt. You can do allsorts without a degree and can work yourself up from the bottom as you have an extra three years in work. If university isnt something you want to do then dont being happy is more important.
Reply 5
Reply 6
It'll be difficult without a degree in the current economy. You could probably get admin or fast food/supermarket jobs but most people who become distinguishly successful without a degree will have gone into business management or something.
Obviously not.
There are different paths in life and some don’t require university.
No of course not, never seen the apprentice?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending