The Student Room Group

Exam in the middle of camp

My friend who is also taking the exam has decided to take a leave after lunch to take the exam. I once insisted to follow my friend, but my parents came into this and told me that I should put my studies first. They think that I should either enter the camp late or bail out of it completely. That exam will be my last one.

That's a camp I want to join in, so bailing out of it is the least desirable option for me. I can still take part in most of the program if I follow my friend, but it may make me not well rested for my exam, and the stuff from the camp may affect my conditions for the exam, which will make me perform worse than expected. Joining the camp late will make me miss out on the majority of the program, but I can recharge on the 1.5-hr commute from the university to the campsite with all my exams done. Furthermore, I can make sure that I can be well prepared and well rested for the exam. So is joining the camp late the option you pick if you were me?
Reply 1
For some context: I once had a meeting scheduled the day before my first final last term in the lunch break. My parents found about it and I rescheduled the meeting to the day following my last final, in the evening. In fact, by that time, all of the undergraduate students would have finished the exams (the meeting was scheduled for 20:00 and the last undergraduate students finished their exams at 19:30 on the same day). I used the one day buffer I had after my last exam to prepare for the meeting, so I didn't need to care about it during the exam period.
Original post by 8013
For some context: I once had a meeting scheduled the day before my first final last term in the lunch break. My parents found about it and I rescheduled the meeting to the day following my last final, in the evening. In fact, by that time, all of the undergraduate students would have finished the exams (the meeting was scheduled for 20:00 and the last undergraduate students finished their exams at 19:30 on the same day). I used the one day buffer I had after my last exam to prepare for the meeting, so I didn't need to care about it during the exam period.
@8013

What year are you in?
How confident do you feel about the exam topic?
Is it a camp that you normally go to every year? Would it make big difference if you did not go?

I think you should prioritise your studies. It's a pity that it clashes and it's sad for you to miss out on the camp, but it's better to sit the exam once and to be done with it rather than having to resit or not doing as well as you could in the exam and later regretting it. Depending on the year you are in, you might be fine with passing but if you can join the camp later on, maybe it's best to do that if you really want to go. Sometimes you can't do everything and sometimes you can do everything but not very well. Sometimes you do have to prioritise, even it means missing out, so do give it careful thought.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Reply 3
Original post by University of Huddersfield
@8013

What year are you in?
How confident do you feel about the exam topic?
Is it a camp that you normally go to every year? Would it make big difference if you did not go?

I think you should prioritise your studies. It's a pity that it clashes and it's sad for you to miss out on the camp, but it's better to sit the exam once and to be done with it rather than having to resit or not doing as well as you could in the exam and later regretting it. Depending on the year you are in, you might be fine with passing but if you can join the camp later on, maybe it's best to do that if you really want to go. Sometimes you can't do everything and sometimes you can do everything but not very well. Sometimes you do have to prioritise, even it means missing out, so do give it careful thought.

All the best,

There's another camp just after the term ends. The camp which clashed fhe exam is for the most core members (including me) as it involves some important vision casting and discussion sessions. The camp after the term ends has a few training sessions plus discussion for summer activities (also including games as well). I can use the ball shooter (made as a group) in one module for one of the game booths, culminating in a term's worth of work and looking back on what we achieved in the term! I can also use cool phrases for the booth (e.g. for this game you are going to use my newest invention, the 2818 Great Commission Shooter). I can base the booth on the shooting competition in class, but with different targets! It can help out if the people in charge are running out of ideas for games!
So missing camp 1 entirely may not be that bad at all, as a full term of work may eventually help out with camp 2!
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 4
And I found that people are ending their finals much later than me, precisely just 1-2 days before camp 2, but I end a week before camp 2. I edged out one other person to be the first person to finish finals in my stage group, with both of us ending on the same day but I end 4 hours earlier.

It is tough for those people to help out for camp 2 but I have much better conditions to help out for it. I can use the buffer week to work on the stuff I need to prepare for camp 2, without any affections due to exam preparation.

Due to my late entry I am not scheduled to help out with camp 1, so I am likely to be pushed to help with camp 2 for this reason.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by 8013
And I found that people are ending their finals much later than me, precisely just 1-2 days before camp 2, but I end a week before camp 2. I edged out one other person to be the first person to finish finals in my stage group, with both of us ending on the same day but I end 4 hours earlier.
It is tough for those people to help out for camp 2 but I have much better conditions to help out for it. I can use the buffer week to work on the stuff I need to prepare for camp 2, without any affections due to exam preparation.
Due to my late entry I am not scheduled to help out with camp 1, so I am likely to be pushed to help with camp 2 for this reason.

@8013

Glad that it's all coming together : )

All the best for the finals and all the best for camp 2!

Reply 6
I ended up getting a whopping 22 marks above the average score in my exam on the 25th due to the lack of commitment in camp 1. I was even 10 marks above the upper quartile, thanks to the conditions which I am able to focus on my preparation for the exam
Original post by 8013
I ended up getting a whopping 22 marks above the average score in my exam on the 25th due to the lack of commitment in camp 1. I was even 10 marks above the upper quartile, thanks to the conditions which I am able to focus on my preparation for the exam

@8013

Well done 😀!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending