The Student Room Group

Will the university share my application with my employer if I'm sponsored?

I'm currently working and through my employer I will be studying a postgraduate degree for 1 year, which my employer will fund. On top of that I intend to use my work supervisor as my referee.

I have 1 problem. When studying at university I left my first uni after the 1st year ended and went to study a different course at another university, where I completed a full degree.Since I didn't just drop out mid way through my first year and decided to see it through till the end, I ended up taking the exams and received a Higher National Certificate (HNC) qualification when I left. This was graded at a 2:2 as I performed badly. I then completed my full degree and got a 2:1 at the other university.

When applying for this job I am unsure whether I mentioned the HNC I received or the first year I wasted at the 1st university (has me abit paranoid that if I didn't disclose it and they found out then I would be in big trouble for lying/may lose my job).

Now I am applying for this postgraduate course where i am required to disclose all my past education. I am planning on disclosing my HNC and my wasted year at the 1st university, as I'm sure this university will have a way of finding out my educational background. However, I am now worried and wondering if my employer will be able to see my university application, where they would find out about my HNC qualification and the year of university I potentially didn't disclose.

Will my employer be able to see all of these details if they are funding the degree/ giving me a reference?
(edited 8 months ago)
Not in most circumstances. The Uni application will be made on an online form that will be within a university student recruitment database, which your employer won't have access to. Though you should understand the process, if the employer is allowed to put someone on an application panel for interviews or similar, that person would see a copy.

You should always fill in applications answering the specific question, so if they say 'all qualifications' put All of them down. It should be easy enough to justify a teenage/youthful selection of the wrong course, wrong environment etc, less hard to justify lying or deception.
Original post by john_iqbal786
I'm currently working and through my employer I will be studying a postgraduate degree for 1 year, which my employer will fund. On top of that I intend to use my work supervisor as my referee.

I have 1 problem. When studying at university I left my first uni after the 1st year ended and went to study a different course at another university, where I completed a full degree.Since I didn't just drop out mid way through my first year and decided to see it through till the end, I ended up taking the exams and received a Higher National Certificate (HNC) qualification when I left. This was graded at a 2:2 as I performed badly. I then completed my full degree and got a 2:1 at the other university.

When applying for this job I am unsure whether I mentioned the HNC I received or the first year I wasted at the 1st university (has me abit paranoid that if I didn't disclose it and they found out then I would be in big trouble for lying/may lose my job).

Now I am applying for this postgraduate course where i am required to disclose all my past education. I am planning on disclosing my HNC and my wasted year at the 1st university, as I'm sure this university will have a way of finding out my educational background. However, I am now worried and wondering if my employer will be able to see my university application, where they would find out about my HNC qualification and the year of university I potentially didn't disclose.

Will my employer be able to see all of these details if they are funding the degree/ giving me a reference?

the university you're applying to should have a data protection policy on their website that will explain all the details of what data they may share with third parties.

Why not just ask your employer for a copy of your files and see if you disclosed it or not?
At my uni we don't share application docs with sponsors. The only thing we might pass on is a confirmation of the offer, and then only if we got the express permission of the applicant.
Original post by threeportdrift
Though you should understand the process, if the employer is allowed to put someone on an application panel for interviews or similar, that person would see a copy.

Sorry what do you mean by this? If the university has a round of interviews?
Original post by PQ
the university you're applying to should have a data protection policy on their website that will explain all the details of what data they may share with third parties.

Why not just ask your employer for a copy of your files and see if you disclosed it or not?

I feel it would be a bit weird or suspicious asking for this without reason (I know I shouldn't need a reason). Especially since I am to be applying for the course right now. The deadline is soon to apply for the course so I'm not sure if I would be able to wait around for a response
Original post by john_iqbal786
Sorry what do you mean by this? If the university has a round of interviews?

When my employer sponsored my Masters, they has a seat on the interview panel, because there were multiple applicants from within the business. In that case, I would expect the university and employer to be seeing the exact same application information.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending