The Student Room Group

Anyone else find it scary ringing up work to tell them you can't come in?

Just had to do it myself.. heart was beating ten to the dozen! Anyone else had to do this and what was your experience on the phone and when you had to go back in?
Luckily, ive only had to phone in the once, but i was a bit nervous of how they would react, especially as im the sort of person who never rings in sick. I thought they would think i was faking it or something. Luckily they where ok about it. No one really mentioned anything when i got back. The manager who had answered when i phoned in sick asked if i was ok when i went to work the next day, that was it.
Reply 2
Never needed to phone in...but the place I work people seem to phone in sick all of the time. They would rather us not come in if were sick due to handling of food etc.
Never felt scary but I always feel like I have to convince them that I´m ill and not faking it. I feel like I´m letting someone down and I can agree with you that it´s not a good feeling. But I would not call it scared. If you´r really ill then it´s better to stay home, no one want to be cough at.
Never felt scared doing it.

One day over summertime this year, I went into work, but by about 11 o'clock I was feeling really ill. So I went to reception, told them I was ill, and went home. Tbh, I was quite annoyed at not being able to stay, as I'd wanted to finish that particular task that day.

The next time was mid October this year. I felt a bit icky Monday morning, but decided that as I could get up/dressed/eat breakfast etc, that I might as well go in. Spent the day decimating our office's supply of tissues (and I work in the Pastoral Office! :tongue: ), went home as usual. Got home, went straight to bed. Next day, I simply COULD. NOT. MOVE.

I currently work at my old school; each year at school, my attendance was 99-100%. (I usually only had one day off a year, if that.) I guess that's what comes of having a teacher for a parent... in my family, we have to be either throwing up, or unable to get out of bed, in order to stay home. My parents never allowed days off for a sniffle, or general laziness, so the habit stuck. I rarely take sick days, so if I do, you know I'm really ill.
(Besides, I'm currently paid by the hour. If I don't work, I don't get paid! :tongue: )

My colleagues/boss are always sympathetic when I'm ill, and ask how I am when I come back. I do feel guilty if I'm off sick, but meh.
Reply 5
Yeh I must admit I always did feel a little nervous doing it.
Meh I'm a damn hard worker and have been there at last minute so many times tos ave them from complete messes that I don't think they could ever call me up on anything and be angry, even if they did think I was faking it.
I just email them.
See this, I find absolutely terrifying! It's one of the worst feelings and because I'm sick quite often (not lazy I've just always been a sickly person) I always feel they're going to think, oh it's her, sick again! When I genuinely am sick! I have a bad chest at the moment, I have asthma so I pick up the slightest bug and it always goes to my chest but I can't phone in sick as I wasn't off that long ago with laryngitis.

Sorry for the in depth post! But yes this terrifies me as much as it probably terrifies you OP
Reply 9
Yeah I found it quite difficult when I had a job before uni, I felt I was letting them down because it's not easy for them to get cover with only a few hours notice!
I have to ring placements for information about where I'll be and who I'd be meeting and it terrified me! I actually toom a bus last night to go to the medical centre to ask in person as opposed to ring, I was so nervous.
Original post by treasureBelle
Never felt scared doing it.

One day over summertime this year, I went into work, but by about 11 o'clock I was feeling really ill. So I went to reception, told them I was ill, and went home. Tbh, I was quite annoyed at not being able to stay, as I'd wanted to finish that particular task that day.

The next time was mid October this year. I felt a bit icky Monday morning, but decided that as I could get up/dressed/eat breakfast etc, that I might as well go in. Spent the day decimating our office's supply of tissues (and I work in the Pastoral Office! :tongue: ), went home as usual. Got home, went straight to bed. Next day, I simply COULD. NOT. MOVE.

I currently work at my old school; each year at school, my attendance was 99-100%. (I usually only had one day off a year, if that.) I guess that's what comes of having a teacher for a parent... in my family, we have to be either throwing up, or unable to get out of bed, in order to stay home. My parents never allowed days off for a sniffle, or general laziness, so the habit stuck. I rarely take sick days, so if I do, you know I'm really ill.
(Besides, I'm currently paid by the hour. If I don't work, I don't get paid! :tongue: )

My colleagues/boss are always sympathetic when I'm ill, and ask how I am when I come back. I do feel guilty if I'm off sick, but meh.

Totally with this.

My family are all the same - my mother tried to go in with kidney stones (my dad rang up while she was in the bathroom, telling them she wouldn't be in, and she threw a fit, I have rarely seen her so angry).

If I can get out of bed, I can work. S&D is the only thing that stops me going, and *touchwood* I haven't had that in years.

Heh, when I started full-time and salaried work it really confused me, 'cause we get this stuff called 'holiday' that I totally do not know how to use.
I just send and email without going into details. I went to work sick few times but I think it's not fair (especially if it's a virus), you can get other people sick.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending