The Student Room Group

Bank of England

I have a first round coming up and I need to do the tests. Any idea of what they are and what I should expect?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone?
Hey, I am also due to take the tests this week. I would be grateful of a little more guidance on preparation, but I did find this thread http://www.wikijob.co.uk/forum/investment-banking-financial-services/bank-england-2011-intake which seems to have quite a lot of detail. This one is also potentially useful http://www.wikijob.co.uk/forum/investment-banking-financial-services/bank-england-first-round

What are you doing to prepare? I'm a little worried as I didn't expect to have the assessment centre within a week of being accepted to the next stage, but I guess I'll have to pull out the stops and do a lot of extra reading over the next few days.
Also - which day are you attending this week?
I did the test last year for an internship, and got it. If its the same (I think it will be), its a written essay about a failing bank. You get an hour. No need to research much about special resolutions, might be worth having a vague idea though. Be structured, use very simple language, keep an eye on the time.
Reply 5
I did the tests. The financial appraisal test is quite tough so you need to pay attention to the instructions they give! You cannot prepare for this.
Reply 6
WokSz what role did you apply for with the bank? Do you have an economics background?
Reply 7
I have my assessment tomorrow at 1.30 so any help would be appreciated
Probably a bit late now, but I went for the test last month (and just found out I failed, oh well...) and it's really not a test you can prepare for. The psychometric test part is just about logical thinking and following instructions rather than numeracy, so you need to work quickly and get as much done as possible, but it's not a maths test like SHL. And the written bit just depends on how well you know the general things like inflation, GDP and so on, and then apply them to a particular situation that they tell you in the instructions. So it's more about being generally good rather than something you can research/prepare for in a few days.
Reply 9
Has anyone been offered a place yet at the assessment centre?

I was told they would get back to candidates by New Years Eve - doubt I've got through seeing as I've heard nothing.
Original post by jacksom4
Has anyone been offered a place yet at the assessment centre?

I was told they would get back to candidates by New Years Eve - doubt I've got through seeing as I've heard nothing.

I attended the first stage assessment on 6 Dec and was told they would get back before 31 Dec. HR tend to inform those who have passed at first and then email those who failed at the end. So I guess there is a huge possibility that I have failed.

I have not heard anything from them by far. And I am nearly sure that I have failed the written exercise as my performance was totally messed up.

By the way, I knew someone from LSE has got the invitation to final round assessment centre already soon after the first stage assessment.
Reply 11
I guess we'll probably be rejected on the 29th, judging by last years posts here!
I guess we'll probably be rejected on the 29th, judging by last years posts here!

Yes, I think so.

i got rejection.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
I've heard nothing.... Should I contact them or wait a few days? (Although in a few days the interviews are scheduled to start)
Reply 15
Hi, I found out on the 29th that I got invited to the interview stage.

Anyone else been invited, or had an interview at the Bank ? Any tips to prepare for it ?
Reply 16
Original post by Londonburger
i got rejection.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which test centre did you go to ?

Did you apply as a generalist or economist ?
Original post by deejay10
Which test centre did you go to ?

Did you apply as a generalist or economist ?

I went to the first stage assessment, which was held at a HR agency.

I applied to the postgraduate internship, which required all the candidates to do the economist test, regardless of the discipline that you are studying.
Reply 18
Original post by deejay10
Hi, I found out on the 29th that I got invited to the interview stage.

Anyone else been invited, or had an interview at the Bank ? Any tips to prepare for it ?

Just got an email from the Bank saying I'll hear back by 4th. Can I ask what you applied for? I went for the Postgrad full-time Economics
Reply 19
Original post by cultist17
Just got an email from the Bank saying I'll hear back by 4th. Can I ask what you applied for? I went for the Postgrad full-time Economics

I applied for the Graduate Economics scheme, so maybe a slightly different timeline and process to the Postgrad scheme.

Quick Reply

Latest