The Student Room Group

Increasing Tension Between the UK and Argentina over the Falkland Islands

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Drewski
Argentina does not control the seas around the Falklands. Suggesting such is a myth.

They are apparently enforcing their own laws over the territory without response from Britain.

What do you call that?
Reply 61
Original post by Komnenos
My point, and the point made in the article, is that, by controlling the seas around the Falklands, the Argentinians have the potential to surprise the British and disable their force projection which is, effectively, limited to the 4 fighters.

Furthermore, if this happens, Britain will have a very difficult time taking the islands back due to the lack of an aircraft carrier.

Britain can and should do something about the blockade, it is an affront.

Well, we're going to have to agree to disagree on the ability of the Argies to ambush the falkands.

I don't know why you keep obsessing over the 4 fighters figure, we can fly more planes in. They do fly very fast and with such a large presence on the islands, even a sneak attack couldn't win before we could land reinforcements.

A brigade is the old division. You can't just ambush and kill one in a few hours.

The blockade is an affront, but just as we don't drop nukes on spain over the rock, we shouldn't battle the Argies unless it's necessary.

What's at stake? American support.

It's worth enough to not blow it by over-reacting prematurely.
Reply 62
"Proportionality" means nothing. British and American casualties in Afghanistan are not proportional to Afghan casualties. If they were - we would be up in arms. Why? We expect to dominate our opponents.

The same concept should apply here. The Argentinians need to know what happens if they **** with Britain.

Also, monetarily, at least, the Argentinians, then, are at an advantage.

Proportionality means a great deal in diplomatic discourse. It matters a huge amount when we wish to get support from the international community and we can appear as the reasonable, measured party and not the aggressor.
That you lack the understanding of this shows how little you know of the subject.

The Argentinians know what happens. It's called 1982.

And no, they really aren't. For all we're in debt and they're on the rise, we're in decline from the Premiership while they're propping up the Johnstone's Paint Trophy.
Reply 63
Britain is without an aircraft carrier for the first time, and is downsizing significantly its armed forces.

The message Britain sends to the rest of the world when it responds with diplomatic "complaints" to blockades and embassy sackings is one of weakness.

The British, if they are as capable as you say they are, should send ships to end the blockade.

You didn't choose to, your parents, grandparents, on ancestors did when they helped to found/moved to this country.

Since you cannot consent until the age of 18, your parents, being your guardians, are the ones who decided for you to have British citizenship by having a child here.

If you wish to renounce your parents decision, and hence your citizenship, you are free to do so.

I get the sense you won't, though, because even though you claim this country owes you nothing, we both know that isn't true.

You were raised in a safe, prosperous, liberal environment that most of the world would be lucky to call home. For you to pretend that such a privilege is worthless is an insult to the majority of humanity who cannot call a place like Britain home.

No, I said I owe the country nothing. The country owes me, yes. You know why that is? Because all of us - assuming we're not born into wealth - are brainwashed and exploited from birth. The country owes me true freedom. It owes me a hell of a lot. And I'll take it.
Reply 64
Original post by RyanT
Well, we're going to have to agree to disagree on the ability of the Argies to ambush the falkands.

I don't know why you keep obsessing over the 4 fighters figure, we can fly more planes in. They do fly very fast and with such a large presence on the islands, even a sneak attack couldn't win before we could land reinforcements.

A brigade is the old division. You can't just ambush and kill one in a few hours.

The blockade is an affront, but just as we don't drop nukes on spain over the rock, we shouldn't battle the Argies unless it's necessary.

What's at stake? American support.

It's worth enough to not blow it by over-reacting prematurely.

The point is that we wouldn't have air support because we don't have an aircraft carrier. A couple blasts in the airfield and British fighters can't take off, and then what?

As much as we might like to think otherwise, international relations is about power. If Britain wants to be respected, it needs to demonstrate that nobody can **** with it.

Argentina is ****ing with Britain. Why should we let them?

Original post by Drewski
Proportionality means a great deal in diplomatic discourse. It matters a huge amount when we wish to get support from the international community and we can appear as the reasonable, measured party and not the aggressor.
That you lack the understanding of this shows how little you know of the subject.

The Argentinians know what happens. It's called 1982.

And no, they really aren't. For all we're in debt and they're on the rise, we're in decline from the Premiership while they're propping up the Johnstone's Paint Trophy.

Britain will never have the support of the international community on this issue.

Why? The international community will instinctively side with the non-Western country in any conflict involving the West and the rest.
Reply 65
They shouldn't belong to us anyhow. It's like Argentina owning the Isle of Wight. Ridiculous.

This is why the Argentinian blockade is serious - it allows Argentina to get around the main hump, being these 4 fighters.

It isn't a proper blockade. Argie ships aren't preventing anyone entering/exiting the Falklands. They don't havr the political or military capability.

All they are doing is banning supplies coming from Argentina, and other South American countries occasionally deny British ships permission to land as a gesture of 'solidarity'. It means nothing.
Reply 67
Original post by Rant
No, I said I owe the country nothing. The country owes me, yes. You know why that is? Because all of us - assuming we're not born into wealth - are brainwashed and exploited from birth. The country owes me true freedom. It owes me a hell of a lot. And I'll take it.

At least you are honest about your overweening, pathetic, completely baseless sense of entitlement.

Firstly, how have you been brainwashed if you, and many others, freely hold and express the opinions you do?

Secondly, how have you been exploited? By being provided with a safe living environment, a strong welfare net, solid education, and the ability to express and develop freely as a person?

Without the British state, this little island would be a backwards, violent, ignorant, little hellhole. Somalia without the heat.
Reply 68
There's only so much you can say to a brick wall before you get bored.

OP's a dullard who can't face simple facts. I'm out.
Reply 69
Original post by Ttawwab
They shouldn't belong to us anyhow. It's like Argentina owning the Isle of Wight. Ridiculous.

I see, and do the wishes of the islanders mean anything to you?

Original post by EssexDan86
It isn't a proper blockade. Argie ships aren't preventing anyone entering/exiting the Falklands. They don't havr the political or military capability.

All they are doing is banning supplies coming from Argentina, and other South American countries occasionally deny British ships permission to land as a gesture of 'solidarity'. It means nothing.

It means they can effectively declare war on Britain and get away with it.

I, for one, think the UK should have enough self-respect not to let that happen.
Reply 70
Original post by Drewski
There's only so much you can say to a brick wall before you get bored.

OP's a dullard who can't face simple facts. I'm out.

Yet again, a resort to insults.

Really speaks volumes regarding your ability to rationally debate this subject.
Original post by Ttawwab

Except the Isle of Wight wasn't uninhabitat, then first claimed by an Argentine, colonised by Argentina and it's inhabitants don't today wish to be Argentinian. So no, it's not anything like that at all in the tiniest little inny microscopic slightest. If geographic location was relevant, then I hereby claim the Faroe Islands on behalf of the United Kingdom.
Reply 72
Yet again, a resort to insults.

Really speaks volumes regarding your ability to rationally debate this subject.

Well when I tried the facts you were too thick to understand them or what I was saying. Either that or you were deliberately being exceptionally obtuse.

I have presented you with facts in every post I've written, saying why you've got the wrong end of the stick and how incredibly unrealistic the scenario you talk about is. I do this with a working background of the field -having been in the RAF and working in military intelligence- and with 2 very good friends and former colleagues currently stationed on the islands.

I know what I'm talking about. You're ignoring every single word. So yeah, I might throw out an insult, because you've more than earnt them.
Original post by Rant
You're kidding, right? Where did I insult you? And you think I "signed an implicit contract" what the hell are you smoking? So, whilst swimming in the womb, some god of Britain floated down to join me, handed me a pen and paper and said "you can be born here, but only if you agree to our rules"? I did not CHOOSE to be born in this country. I owe this country NOTHING. Frankly, I find your attitude sickening.

Pride, patriotism and nationalism are holding the species back. Only when they are defeated (and they will be) can we truly fulfil our potential.

Holding the species back from what....?
Reply 74
I see, and do the wishes of the islanders mean anything to you?

People are kicked out of their homes all the time in the UK, for example when a supermarket chain wants to build another branch on their front lawn. I don't see you rallying to each and every one of their causes too.

Besides, the French were there before the British, and then Britain invaded and slaughtered them all. Oh, but what about "the wishes" of the original settlers? Do they mean nothing to you.
Reply 75
Original post by Drewski
Well when I tried the facts you were too thick to understand them or what I was saying. Either that or you were deliberately being exceptionally obtuse.

I have presented you with facts in every post I've written, saying why you've got the wrong end of the stick and how incredibly unrealistic the scenario you talk about is. I do this with a working background of the field -having been in the RAF and working in military intelligence- and with 2 very good friends and former colleagues currently stationed on the islands.

I know what I'm talking about. You're ignoring every single word. So yeah, I might throw out an insult, because you've more than earnt them.

I do not deny the military facts presented in regards to British technological superiority, I am merely noting the deteriorating ability of the British armed forces to prevent and respond to military threats in the South Pacific.

This is exemplified, for example, by the ability of Argentina to do as in pleases in British sovereign territory.
My point, and the point made in the article, is that, by controlling the seas around the Falklands, the Argentinians have the potential to surprise the British and disable their force projection which is, effectively, limited to the 4 fighters.

Furthermore, if this happens, Britain will have a very difficult time taking the islands back due to the lack of an aircraft carrier.

Britain can and should do something about the blockade, it is an affront.

Even if the Argies occupied the island, they wouldn't do for very long....
The point is that we wouldn't have air support because we don't have an aircraft carrier. A couple blasts in the airfield and British fighters can't take off, and then what?

then we'd fly them in from the Ascension Islands...ever heard of Air to Air refuelling?

Tornado's based in Norfolk regularly undertook air strikes in Libya during OP Ellamy; do you seriously think that a few holes in a bit of tarmac would render out entire military force useless?
Reply 78
I do not deny the military facts presented in regards to British technological superiority, I am merely noting the deteriorating ability of the British armed forces to prevent and respond to military threats in the South Pacific.

This is exemplified, for example, by the ability of Argentina to do as in pleases in British sovereign territory.

Well that's balls, you're the one slamming us for "only having 4 planes", suggesting that "only 1 boat" is pitiful and that 1500 people is tiny. Clearly you believe the military in the South Atlantic to be beyond rubbish.

We have had, do have and will continue to have more than adequate forces to repel the Argentinians. End of story.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by Ttawwab
People are kicked out of their homes all the time in the UK, for example when a supermarket chain wants to build another branch on their front lawn. I don't see you rallying to each and every one of their causes too.

Besides, the French were there before the British, and then Britain invaded and slaughtered them all. Oh, but what about "the wishes" of the original settlers? Do they mean nothing to you.

What claim, exactly, do the Argentinians have to the island?

Besides the fact that, in your mind, the British are always in the wrong in any conflict.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending