The Student Room Group

Post Your Economics Question Here

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
no because MC dosent start at 0 units..it starts betwenn 0 and 1 unit and there it is the cost of increasing production from 0 to 1. fixed costs do not affect MC at all.. fixed costs are there regardless of how much a company produces, 0 or infinity fixed costs are the same.
Pabs666
no because MC dosent start at 0 units..it starts betwenn 0 and 1 unit and there it is the cost of increasing production from 0 to 1. fixed costs do not affect MC at all.. fixed costs are there regardless of how much a company produces, 0 or infinity fixed costs are the same.

Not if MC = MFC + MVC
Reply 382
Pabs666

Yes it does - the marginal cost of the 0th unit is the fixed cost. You can argue this one out with my economics lecturers if you like, but I doubt you'll win :p:
Reply 383
biggie-n
Not if MC = MFC + MVC

but it does not... unless u constantly count MFC as 0..

and to the other person, there is no MC at qty 0.look at it the diagram in your text book or something if you have to. you have probably misunderstood your lecturer rather then them being incorrect.
Reply 384
So where does the MC curve start?
If the definition of the MC is the cost of producing that unit, and you have cost of FC when producing 0, the MC at 0 is FC.
Pabs666
but it does not... unless u constantly count MFC as 0..
Er...what? Why does it have to be 0? Yes, the MFC will fall as output increases, but it still exists.
Reply 386
biggie-n
Er...what? Why does it have to be 0? Yes, the MFC will fall as output increases, but it still exists.

you are thinking of AFC..

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/ec/Marginalcost.gif/400px-Marginalcost.gif

type marginal cost curve into google and look up a definition of marginal cost
Pabs666
you are thinking of AFC..

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/ec/Marginalcost.gif/400px-Marginalcost.gif

type marginal cost curve into google and look up a definition of marginal cost

right yes you have a point. i still dont accept that ac moves without mc moving because the mc is derived from the ac
Reply 388
biggie-n
right yes you have a point. i still dont accept that ac moves without mc moving because the mc is derived from the ac

no the mc is not derived from the ac. they are related (mc goes through ac at its lowest point) but you do not get the mc from the ac curve.
Hey, I changed my EE topic again....but I don't know which aspect I can touch on for this one which is about beer consumption. I wish to discuss microeconomics cuz it's my favorite part. Any ideas?
Please help with this problem.

A security analyst specializing in the stocks of the motion picture industry the relation between the number of movie theater tickets sold in December and the annual level of earnings in the motion picture industry. Time-series data for the last 15 years are used to estimate the regression model. E = a + bN where E is total earnings of the motion picture industry measured in dollars per year and N is the number of tickets sold in December. The regression output is as follows:

DEPENDENT VARIABLE: E R-SQUARE F-RATIO P-VALUE ON F
OBSERVATIONS: 15 0.8311 63.96 0.0001

VARIABLE PARAMETER ESTIMATE STANDARD ERROR T-RATIO P-VALUE
INTERCEPT 25042000.00 20131000.00 1.24 0.2369
N 32.31 8.54 3.78 0.0023

How well do movie ticket sales in December explain the level of earnings for the entire year? Present statistical evidence to support your answer. Also, sales of movie tickets in December are expected to be approximately 950,000. According to this regression analysis, what do you expect earnings for the year to be? Prior to this analysis, the estimates for earnings in December are $48 million. Is this evidence strong enough for you to consider a improving the current recommendation for the motion picture industry?
robertwstewart
Please help with this problem.

A security analyst specializing in the stocks of the motion picture industry the relation between the number of movie theater tickets sold in December and the annual level of earnings in the motion picture industry. Time-series data for the last 15 years are used to estimate the regression model. E = a + bN where E is total earnings of the motion picture industry measured in dollars per year and N is the number of tickets sold in December. The regression output is as follows:

DEPENDENT VARIABLE: E R-SQUARE F-RATIO P-VALUE ON F
OBSERVATIONS: 15 0.8311 63.96 0.0001

VARIABLE PARAMETER ESTIMATE STANDARD ERROR T-RATIO P-VALUE
INTERCEPT 25042000.00 20131000.00 1.24 0.2369
N 32.31 8.54 3.78 0.0023

How well do movie ticket sales in December explain the level of earnings for the entire year? Present statistical evidence to support your answer. Also, sales of movie tickets in December are expected to be approximately 950,000. According to this regression analysis, what do you expect earnings for the year to be? Prior to this analysis, the estimates for earnings in December are $48 million. Is this evidence strong enough for you to consider a improving the current recommendation for the motion picture industry?

the data presented is a little confusing in its current form. perhaps you could attach an excel spreadsheet to make it clearer? but from what I can make out, the Rsquared value is quite high (0.8311). so on the face of it, the answer to the first question is 'very well', but to be sure you have to show that the alpha and beta estimates are significant. I can't tell which numbers are the alpha and beta estimates and their corresponding standard errors, sorry.
but in general if you divide the estimate for alpha by the corresponding standard error, then as a general rule of thumb the resulting t-value should be 2 or more for it to be significant. same for beta.
Reply 392
biggie-n
the data presented is a little confusing in its current form. perhaps you could attach an excel spreadsheet to make it clearer? but from what I can make out, the Rsquared value is quite high (0.8311). so on the face of it, the answer to the first question is 'very well', but to be sure you have to show that the alpha and beta estimates are significant. I can't tell which numbers are the alpha and beta estimates and their corresponding standard errors, sorry.
but in general if you divide the estimate for alpha by the corresponding standard error, then as a general rule of thumb the resulting t-value should be 2 or more for it to be significant. same for beta.

Hehe, screwed that one up in the maths exam - got it the other way round (2+ is insignificant) and spent 30 mins trying to work out what I'd got wrong before giving up
Reply 393
hmm, did you respond and then delete it? It says you quoted me for some reason
yeah i did
Here you go. Hopefully this will help. I guess I'm not understanding what I am actually looking at.

Thanks for the help.
robertwstewart
Here you go. Hopefully this will help. I guess I'm not understanding what I am actually looking at.

Thanks for the help.

okay, what i said before is basically right i think. the intercept (or alpha) is not significant, because the t-ratio is below 2. the sample is also quite small - too small really to make any worthwhile observations. and i'm confused about the observations for 'N', because the question said that was the number of tickets sold, but its 32.31 in the data you gave me? I think the 'N' is actually the observation for beta. anyway, its significant because the t-ratio is above 2...
were you presented with this data or did you run a regression yourself?

for the part where it says ", sales of movie tickets in December are expected to be approximately 950,000. According to this regression analysis, what do you expect earnings for the year to be? ", you have to plug in the numbers into the given equation so (presuming the observation for 'N' is actually for 'b') E = a+bN = 25042000 + (32.31 x 950,000) = $55,736,500.

"Prior to this analysis, the estimates for earnings in December are $48 million. Is this evidence strong enough for you to consider a improving the current recommendation for the motion picture industry?"

Your estimate based on the regression is saying about $56m, about $6m higher. You have to basically do a hypothesis test to see if this evidence is strong enough. It'll be a one tail test and since they don't specify a significance level, just use 5%.

I think its easier to explain all of this better in person though!!! Ask a friend/teacher...?
Thank you for your help on this. To answer your question, this information was presented to me.
On the attachment under Applied Problems question 1. The director of marketing at Vanguard Corporation.

Could you help explain the questions a - ?. I'm not sure how to read and understand this data. I'm not getting any help from the teacher.
Reply 399
What relationship would you expect? If you think that the dependent variable is positively affected by the independent, would the symbols be positive or negative?

Quick Reply

Latest