The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE Economics: without FurtherMaths

Hello, I am currently doing Maths, Economics and psychology alevels. I am in year 13.

Furthermaths was a option in my school and I regret not choosing it as my fourth subject at the start of year 12. It is now spetember and too late to take it up as a fourth and I doubt the school will even let me.

I know that I am already at a disadvantage for not doing furthermaths, but will doing a TMUA entrance exam increase my chances of getting into LSE economics bsc? I am also confident that I will be predicted 3 A* and my work experience is very good.

What do you think my chances are in getting into Economics at LSE?
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, I am currently doing Maths, Economics and psychology alevels. I am in year 13.

Furthermaths was a option in my school and I regret not choosing it as my fourth subject at the start of year 12. It is now spetember and too late to take it up as a fourth and I doubt the school will even let me.

I know that I am already at a disadvantage for not doing furthermaths, but will doing a TMUA entrance exam increase my chances of getting into LSE economics bsc? I am also confident that I will be predicted 3 A* and my work experience is very good.

1. Your A-Level subjects are relevant to the BSc Economics course, as you have both Maths and Economics and Psychology also has essay writing. But about 95% of applicants have A-Level Further Maths for BSc Economics.

2. The good news is that my cousin from a State Grammar school applied to LSE for BSc Economics with an AS-Level grade A achieved in Economics, and his school did not offer A-Level Economics. But he was made an offer of A*AA in Maths, Chemistry and Biology. However, my cousin had 9A*’s and 2A’s at GCSE, so he was made an offer and he also had a ‘stellar’ UCAS Personal Statement. But on results day, he missed the Maths condition by one grade, i.e., a B grade instead of an A, but achieved A*A* in Biology and Chemistry. However, UCL, his insurance choice took him with A*A*Ba grades.

3. Another cousin who went to Harris Westminster Sixth Form in Westminster London, got A*A*A*A in Maths, French, Philosophy and Economics and got accepted by UCL for Economics. So, you should definitely consider your chances of gaining an offer from UCL.

4. Why don’t you self-study AS-Level Further Maths with Pearson Edexcel exam board? Or even better A-Level Pearson Edexcel Further Maths? It is not difficult, just more Maths which can’t be put into the standard A-Level Maths specification.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE specifically state they expect those whose schools offer FM to be taking it when applying to single honours economics. Expect that you will be less competitive.

I don't even think there's any facility for TMUA scores to be sent to LSE. Not sure why you think a random admissions test for another course would replace FM anyway - you still haven't covered all the topics in FM.

At the end of the day LSE is just one out of five options but I would recommend considering it a "lottery" option and focusing on your others in the quite possible event you are not made an offer from LSE.

If you absolutely won't consider anywhere but LSE then you probably should start thinking about gap year plans and doing FM then, realistically.
Reply 3

hey! i think doing the tmua will certainly help. if you have no other options, definitely give lse a shot. i have definitely seen a few people on here who have gotten into lse without further maths for economics! so dont let that discourage you. do the tmua, definitely give it your best shot. make sure your ps is good and your predicteds are great as well! after that theres nothing more you can do but wait x
if you want to join the lse economics thread, here it is :
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7406508
Reply 4
Original post by econ11234
hey! i think doing the tmua will certainly help. if you have no other options, definitely give lse a shot. i have definitely seen a few people on here who have gotten into lse without further maths for economics! so dont let that discourage you. do the tmua, definitely give it your best shot. make sure your ps is good and your predicteds are great as well! after that theres nothing more you can do but wait x
if you want to join the lse economics thread, here it is :
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7406508

the tmua is just as level maths as well, so youll defo be able to do the questions
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
LSE specifically state they expect those whose schools offer FM to be taking it when applying to single honours economics. Expect that you will be less competitive.

I don't even think there's any facility for TMUA scores to be sent to LSE. Not sure why you think a random admissions test for another course would replace FM anyway - you still haven't covered all the topics in FM.

At the end of the day LSE is just one out of five options but I would recommend considering it a "lottery" option and focusing on your others in the quite possible event you are not made an offer from LSE.

If you absolutely won't consider anywhere but LSE then you probably should start thinking about gap year plans and doing FM then, realistically.

you can send the tmua to lse using the metritests system once tmua scores are released, they say on their website that they strongly encourage you to do it if applying for econ :smile: x
Yeah my friend got into LSE Econ without FM and like half the people at my school took FM so it's possible.
Did your friend take the TMUA as well or nah?(Original post by InnateImpunity)Yeah my friend got into LSE Econ without FM and like half the people at my school took FM so it's possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending