The Student Room Group

economics a level aqa

im not sure how to get an A* in this subject (year 13 student)
I find the concepts ok but ive got bad memory
Does anyone who has done this a level already have any tips on how to do well in it? is the cgp book content enough to get an a*
So I currently am in year 13 as well and do and I have actually given in questions to my teachers that have given me A*. I would definitely say the CGP books. Give you a basic understanding, but it’s definitely not enough to get top grades context is your best friend with getting top grades and personally I find writing frames super helpful. My economics teacher is giving me a writing frame which were using class and it makes it so much easier to structure your points for your answers, especially the 25 markers. My advice would be handing as many questions as you can, because the more questions you hand in the more you get marked and you can improve are used to be on D, and then I started handing in questions and getting them marked and I ended up getting an A* some of my questions that I handed in. My economics teacher personally advised to write multiple plans because he said that the questions stay somewhat the same. They just reword the questions, but they have the same concept behind them meaning the more you do the more you memorise them. The easier is when you go into the exam and you have all these plans that you’ve done and when you go to write a plan you already know what to write because you’ve written so many that you memorise them. I would definitely say 25 markers are go to focus on the grade boundary is 76% for an A* so if you get 20 out of 25 you will get an Astar in that question. I can send you a question I did that got me an A* for economics and I can also send you the writing frame if that helps just let me know
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #2
So I currently am in year 13 as well and do and I have actually given in questions to my teachers that have given me A*. I would definitely say the CGP books. Give you a basic understanding, but it’s definitely not enough to get top grades context is your best friend with getting top grades and personally I find writing frames super helpful. My economics teacher is giving me a writing frame which were using class and it makes it so much easier to structure your points for your answers, especially the 25 markers. My advice would be handing as many questions as you can, because the more questions you hand in the more you get marked and you can improve are used to be on D, and then I started handing in questions and getting them marked and I ended up getting an A* some of my questions that I handed in. My economics teacher personally advised to write multiple plans because he said that the questions stay somewhat the same. They just reword the questions, but they have the same concept behind them meaning the more you do the more you memorise them. The easier is when you go into the exam and you have all these plans that you’ve done and when you go to write a plan you already know what to write because you’ve written so many that you memorise them. I would definitely say 25 markers are go to focus on the grade boundary is 76% for an A* so if you get 20 out of 25 you will get an Astar in that question. I can send you a question I did that got me an A* for economics and I can also send you the writing frame if that helps just let me know
yes plz:smile:
This is such great advice! The writing structure is so important to get top grades because it puts you in auto pilot basically and you just have to go into writing mode as soon as you see a question that fits one of your plans.

The structure we advise students to use is:

Introduction: definitions, answer the question

x2 Diagram to support your point

x2 Paragraph structure: Point, Explanation, Example, Analysis, Evaluation, Link

Conclusion: Answer the question, explain why with examples, provide balance

Is this similar to what your teacher has taught you?
Original post by Anonymous #1
im not sure how to get an A* in this subject (year 13 student)
I find the concepts ok but ive got bad memory
Does anyone who has done this a level already have any tips on how to do well in it? is the cgp book content enough to get an a*

The CGP guide is good for foundational concepts but doesn't have enough evaluation or judgment to access the top marks. It also doesn't explain how to use diagrams which is the key skill to maximising your analysis marks which is the key to top marks. The writing structure is so important to get top grades because it puts you in auto pilot basically and you just have to go into writing mode as soon as you see a question that fits one of your plans.

The structure we advise students to use is:

Introduction: definitions, answer the question

x2 Diagram to support your point

x2 Paragraph structure: Point, Explanation, Example, Analysis, Evaluation, Link

Conclusion: Answer the question, explain why with examples, provide balance

Is this similar to what your teacher has taught you? Check out our platform www.econominds.co.uk for help with economics or our tiktok @econominds
Original post by Anonymous #1
yes plz:smile:

I’m so sorry I haven’t come back if you give me 20 minutes I can send over the right frame I used and I can also send over the question
Hi could i also get this writing frame? would be super helpful :smile:
Hey do you have any essay plans you mind sharing or would be happy to work towards some sort of agreement
Hey guys forgot to post the writing frame. Haven’t got my laptop with me but will post it around 8-8:30 because it won’t let me attach anything in here

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending