The Student Room Group

Post Your Economics Question Here

Scroll to see replies

jammaster01
Need some help/advice on these questions, which i dont understand.

q) determinants of consumer borrowing? (would one of them be rate of interest? what would others be? why?)

q) importance of consumer borrowing in achieveing a high level of national income in the UK? (aint got a clue - 15marks )

q) Economists often refer to the 'retail price index'. Explain the term 'index'. (how would i gain 8 marks for this???)

Any help appreciated...

q) Economists often refer to the 'retail price index'. Explain the term 'index'. (how would i gain 8 marks for this???)

First of all define it: measure of inflation taken at a base year (this definition might not be correct, I haven't exactly defined it for a while)

then define index: weighted average of prices for a given class of goods or services in a time period.

talk about the basket of goods for calculating the weighting
thetopnotch

First of all define it: measure of inflation taken at a base year (this definition might not be correct, I haven't exactly defined it for a while)

then define index: weighted average of prices for a given class of goods or services in a time period.

talk about the basket of goods for calculating the weighting

Thanks mate :smile:

But i dont understand the last thing you said - and how would i integrate that into the question? :confused:
jammaster01
Thanks mate :smile:

But i dont understand the last thing you said - and how would i integrate that into the question? :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retail_Prices_Index_(United_Kingdom)

Read point 2 and 3
Reply 1383
Urgent help:

Consider the two-period problem of the representative consumer and assume the
consumer has current-period income y = 150, future income y' = 180, current and
future taxes t = 40 and t' = 48, respectively, and faces a market real interest rate of
r = 0:2 (or 20% per period). The consumers preferences over c and c' are represented
by the following utility function:
U(c, c') = min {c, c'}

a) Show the consumer’s lifetime budget constraint and indi¤erence curves in a
diagram.

How would i construct the indifference curve from this information? Can i just draw any indifference curve and then work out the point of tangency (optimal bundle)?

THANK YOU!

++REP!
Reply 1384
alex_hk90
Differentiate (partially) with respect to L. Then check if that function is decreasing with respect to L. Maybe you could just find the second derivative and check if that is negative. I'm not sure though as I'm very tired at the moment and can't really think clearly...

That makes sense, as the gradient is what shows MPL, so taking first n second deriv should be right.

For some reason I can't figure it out - i know it should be simple, but im having a mental block. In the example of 2K+15L, I take 1st deriv wrt L, and get 15. second deriv = 0... so does this just mean that 2k+15L is just a function with constant MPL? that must be right?? what!

Ourkid

EDIT also - root(KL) is K^1/2.L^1/2 and not K^1/4.L^1/4 right? my maths is a bit rusty atm. Cheers :biggrin:
Ourkid
That makes sense, as the gradient is what shows MPL, so taking first n second deriv should be right.

For some reason I can't figure it out - i know it should be simple, but im having a mental block. In the example of 2K+15L, I take 1st deriv wrt L, and get 15. second deriv = 0... so does this just mean that 2k+15L is just a function with constant MPL? that must be right?? what!

Yes, that sounds right to me. And if you think about what the function is saying, for every extra L the increase in output is 15, it's pretty obvious that it's constant returns to L.

Ourkid
EDIT also - root(KL) is K^1/2.L^1/2 and not K^1/4.L^1/4 right?

Yes: KL=KL\sqrt{KL} = \sqrt{K}\sqrt{L}
Hi, my questions is how to derive equilibrium output from these relationships:
C=co+c1YD
YD=Y-T
I=Io
T=To
G=Go
S+T=I+G
Thank you
pink_and_lilac_rainbows
Hi, my questions is how to derive equilibrium output from these relationships:
C=co+c1YD
YD=Y-T
I=Io
T=To
G=Go
S+T=I+G
Thank you

Well, one equation will be:
Y = C + I + G
where you substitute in the expressions for C(YD), I and G.
But it doesn't look like there's enough information, unless you just want it in terms of S and T (might cancel out), in which case I guess the other equation is on the last line:
S + T = I + G
and then solve simultaneously (or perhaps just substitute in as the second equation doesn't have Y).

I'm more used to the IS-LM model and solving for Y and r so I can't guarantee that that's right, but hope it helps anyway. :smile:
Hi, could anyone help me with this question please,

Utilizing a model of your choice demonstrate the conditions required for an increase government expenditure to have little effect on output. Explain.

Thanks
Babyblue89
Hi, could anyone help me with this question please,

Utilizing a model of your choice demonstrate the conditions required for an increase government expenditure to have little effect on output. Explain.

Thanks

Maybe use the IS-LM model with a (near-)vertical LM curve?
when aggregate demand exceeds what happens to the price level and to income?
Reply 1391
Please help me define:

Marginal abatement function

Marginal damange function

Ambiennt based system for permit allocation

Thank you
Reply 1392
correction:It's marginal damage function,ambient based systtem for permit allocation
explain how investment causes economics growth
Reply 1394
In the table below, calculate the total revenue without price discrimination, as well as with price discrimination

P Qd
20 0
14 25
8 35
4 45
jammaster01
explain how investment causes economics growth

Anyone able to help with the question?
jammaster01
Anyone able to help with the question?

Instead of consuming resources and satisfying immediate wants, you can put the resources together in firms. These are inputs in production functions that represent the technology of the firm. The firm produces output, which would not have existed if the resources had been consumed in the first place. However if there is no demand for the products of the firm, then the investment is wasted, but nobody is going to produce a good using inputs of less value then the output. So firms want to add value to make a profit, and then the investment process can be explained by wanting to make profit and wanting to have better lifestyles in the future, so people save which is invested by firms.
Reply 1397
Hello fellow economists!

I'm stuck. lol. I've been answering this 10-marker-essay question for the last 30 minutes and couldn't find sensible answers for it. The question is: "Evaluate the link between household debt and consumption". I brainstormed some of my ideas and this came out from my head:
a) Higher household debt means less consumption - fall in consumer spending.
b) An increase in income may result to households paying their debt which may lead to more consumption
c) Higher household taxes = more interest? ; rise in taxes = less spending (due to tax)

I can't think of any more link between the two. Take note I only did Aggregate Demand Curves, Economic Indicators i.e. Inflation, CPI, HDI and Income and Wealth. I couldn't ask anyone at my school coz im doing it via distance learning. I'll wait for your answers my fellow economists. Cheerio!
Reply 1398
maxell
Evaluate the link between household debt and consumption

Help please?
Reply 1399
okay, what are some of the specific careers you can go into with an economics degree and what is they pay like? is there like a further qualification entailed like with accountancy? the ACCA?

Quick Reply

Latest