The Student Room Group

SAL shipping time? Please state!

Hi,

I'm planning on using SAL shipping to order a CD from Japan. I never use SAL or airmail for new releases or anything - I always go with EMS or FedEx, however recently I got pretty badly hit with customs and had to pay a lot extra and wait longer too. So for time, money and stress sake, I'm going to go with a cheaper option (SAL airmail) because then my order total doesn't go over £15... phew! So I won't have to pay VAT charges.

ANYWAY... I know the average time is about 2-3 weeks, but I'd actually like to know personal experiences from anyone who has every used this shipping method - how long until your package reached you? Did it arrive safety? And would you ever use it again?

I presume everyone answering will be from the UK, so it would be a great help!

Thanks a lot.
i only used SAL once before when ordering something from Japan for the same reasons, it arrived in about 2 weeks, the outside packaging was a little creased but nothing major, it was packaged well inside so it was fine, and i would probably take the risk and use again..
Reply 2
Original post by eugenius 8

i only used SAL once before when ordering something from Japan for the same reasons, it arrived in about 2 weeks, the outside packaging was a little creased but nothing major, it was packaged well inside so it was fine, and i would probably take the risk and use again..

Thanks! 'the risk...?'
Reply 3
On average, most of my SAL parcels come in around 10-14 days and I've had 3 SAL parcels come in the last few weeks, with 2 more on their way.

It is stealth mode for customs, but if your order doesn't top £30 (and the total tax is sub-£9) or whatever the customs threshold is, you won't get charged anyway, so you're just paying for the cheaper shipping in the case of your CD.

It's only if you order something relatively expensive, where EMS will probably get you shafted. The customs tax isn't such a big deal, imo, but if Parcel Force hold your package and ask for that £15 or whatever holding/admin fee on top of the customs tax, that is BS.

Another thing about SAL though, is that you're only insured up to $60, I think? So if in the event that your item is lost in the mail, you could get screwed; compared to EMS, which doesn't have an insurance limit, afaik. But I've never lost an item through SAL, even unregistered SAL.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by OkashiAddict
Thanks! 'the risk...?'

mainly of it gettig lost cos its not insured

hmm Tabris says it is insured, ok i never knew that...

take his advice, he sounds like an expert :p:

Original post by Tabris

It's only if you order something relatively expensive, where EMS will probably get you shafted. The customs tax isn't such a big deal, imo, but if Parcel Force hold your package and ask for that £15 or whatever holding/admin fee on top of the customs tax, that is BS.

argh that is god damn annoying :angry: has happened to 3 of my 4 ems parcels, is there any way of getting around that?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5

mainly of it gettig lost cos its not insured

hmm Tabris says it is insured, ok i never knew that...

take his advice, he sounds like an expert :p:

More like he's wasted too much money, haha :smile:

Aye, it just depends on the seller and what they offer. Some will only offer SAL regular which is untracked and uninsured. But then other places will offer SAL registered which is insured (to $60) and tracked, but limited by size and then SAL parcel, which is the same, but for larger packages/orders.

argh that is god damn annoying :angry: has happened to 3 of my 4 ems parcels, is there any way of getting around that?

The only real way is to get it undervalued by the seller (unlikely if they're a large company) or getting them to mark it as a gift so the tax threshold increase slightly; some big sellers will do this and others will not.

If it's a small company, store or individual seller, they're more likely to do this for you. I've had pretty expensive stuff sent by EMS go stealth mode because it was valued at $50 as a gift.

So it's best to see what options are available to you before you order anything. Sometimes shipping policy alone can make one seller more attractive than another.

Otherwise, pray to the Gods of luck that your package makes it through customs or Parcel Force will hold it hostage. But it seems that EMS packages scream PLEASE TAX ME and from what I've experienced and heard from others, it seems like a good 8/10 EMS packages (which can be taxed) that aren't marked as gifts or undervalued end up getting nice letters from Parcel Force.

That said, I know some people like to bite the bullet for the sake of safety of mind; even though SAL is still reliable enough. Especially at this time of year as EMS has more guarantees in place and being much faster (for dem on time gifts), sometimes people see it as a price worth paying. Customs staff across the world collectively high-five each other at this time of year as well.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Tabris
More like he's wasted too much money, haha :smile:

Aye, it just depends on the seller and what they offer. Some will only offer SAL regular which is untracked and uninsured. But then other places will offer SAL registered which is insured (to $60) and tracked, but limited by size and then SAL parcel, which is the same, but for larger packages/orders.

ah i see, the places i ordered from only had the uninsured one

i have one more nendoroid coming soon which i ordered a few months ago but i decided it was gona be my last one, aint wasting anymore money on this stuff :p:

The only real way is to get it undervalued by the seller (unlikely if they're a large company) or getting them to mark it as a gift so the tax threshold increase slightly; some big sellers will do this and others will not.

If it's a small company, store or individual seller, they're more likely to do this for you. I've had pretty expensive stuff sent by EMS go stealth mode because it was valued at $50 as a gift.

So it's best to see what options are available to you before you order anything. Sometimes shipping policy alone can make one seller more attractive than another.

Otherwise, pray to the Gods of luck that your package makes it through customs or Parcel Force will hold it hostage. But it seems that EMS packages scream PLEASE TAX ME and from what I've experienced and heard from others, it seems like a good 8/10 EMS packages (which can be taxed) that aren't marked as gifts or undervalued end up getting nice letters from Parcel Force.

That said, I know some people like to bite the bullet for the sake of safety of mind; even though SAL is still reliable enough. Especially at this time of year as EMS has more guarantees in place and being much faster (for dem on time gifts), sometimes people see it as a price worth paying. Customs staff across the world collectively high-five each other at this time of year as well.

ah yes the gift way, i just remembered now my last order i was able to get it sent as a gift but i wasnt sure if it was gona work, thought they just gona tax it anyways :s-smilie: but reading your post now makes me feel less worried :smile:
Reply 7

ah i see, the places i ordered from only had the uninsured one

i have one more nendoroid coming soon which i ordered a few months ago but i decided it was gona be my last one, aint wasting anymore money on this stuff :p:

ah yes the gift way, i just remembered now my last order i was able to get it sent as a gift but i wasnt sure if it was gona work, thought they just gona tax it anyways :s-smilie: but reading your post now makes me feel less worried :smile:

The really annoying part was when I realised that I could have just asked them to mark it as a gift and then I most probably wouldn't have been charged VAT. But those charges weren't that bad - it's really Parcel Force who are damn annoying with their pathetic charges which I've read are actually illegal? o.o

Also I paid for EMS to get it quicker, but it seems that if I had used SAL it would have gotten to me before the time I had to wait for customs because it wouldn't have been taxed since by using SAL, charges wouldn't have been payable... :/

Sad timesss.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending