The Student Room Group

GCSE English spoken language endorsement

Is this rough script for my speech good enough for a distinction

Good afternoon
In this speech I will be exploring my personal opinions and scepticism behind the story Noahs ark and weather a flood on this scale could have realistically took place.

Let me start with some context
Its said that God was so angry with mankind that he decided to wipe them all from the earth. All but one family. The head of this family was named Noah.

Noah was given the instructions to build an ark and insure that two of every species of animal had a place on that ark, so that when the flood had ended, l they could breed and rebuild.

Now I do not think that this event happened and I will explain why.

Firstly, the bible states that Noah and his family of 8 people built this boat, A boat which was able to carry roughly 15,000 animals in total. Now in the 19-hundreds a wooden boat of similar size to this was was actually built, It was named the Wyoming. This boat encountered many problems when it came time to set sale. The length of the boat caused it to twist in the sea and leak, this eventually resulted in the boat sinking and taking the lives of the 14 crew members aboard.
So a boat built by 14 professionals, could not last the same length of time at sea with as fraction of the weight aboard, as the ark. A boat built by an old man and his family.

Secondly. If the whole word was to flood and water levels where to rise. That would cause the atmosphere to compress. And physics proves that, if you compress air, that makes it heat up. So a flood on this scale would cause the air to heat up to a temperature in which anything on the planet would burn to a crisp. Hence even if this ark was build and it could sale effectively, the temperature of the atmosphere would prevent the boat form being able to sail, and cause any living animal or human aboard to be burnt alive.

Thirdly, animals like lions and tigers, would have needed to eat meat. They couldn’t eat another animal on the ship because then it would go extinct. So meat would need to be kept aboard, and on a leaky ship, meat would not keep very well at all. There’s also birds of pray like eagles and hawks, these birds do not eat seeds, they eat pray. There’s also bees and wasps collecting pollen. How would this be possible on a boat when all of the plants are under the water.

So what I think happened and is a more likely story is legend building. I think that there was a smaller flood that over time has been exaggerated . Maybe there was even a man who saved some animals, and that has also been exaggerated to a greater number of animals. But either way the story is a great representation of faith.
Original post by isaacwd
Is this rough script for my speech good enough for a distinction

Good afternoon
In this speech I will be exploring my personal opinions and scepticism behind the story Noahs ark and weather a flood on this scale could have realistically took place.

Let me start with some context
Its said that God was so angry with mankind that he decided to wipe them all from the earth. All but one family. The head of this family was named Noah.

Noah was given the instructions to build an ark and insure that two of every species of animal had a place on that ark, so that when the flood had ended, l they could breed and rebuild.

Now I do not think that this event happened and I will explain why.

Firstly, the bible states that Noah and his family of 8 people built this boat, A boat which was able to carry roughly 15,000 animals in total. Now in the 19-hundreds a wooden boat of similar size to this was was actually built, It was named the Wyoming. This boat encountered many problems when it came time to set sale. The length of the boat caused it to twist in the sea and leak, this eventually resulted in the boat sinking and taking the lives of the 14 crew members aboard.
So a boat built by 14 professionals, could not last the same length of time at sea with as fraction of the weight aboard, as the ark. A boat built by an old man and his family.

Secondly. If the whole word was to flood and water levels where to rise. That would cause the atmosphere to compress. And physics proves that, if you compress air, that makes it heat up. So a flood on this scale would cause the air to heat up to a temperature in which anything on the planet would burn to a crisp. Hence even if this ark was build and it could sale effectively, the temperature of the atmosphere would prevent the boat form being able to sail, and cause any living animal or human aboard to be burnt alive.

Thirdly, animals like lions and tigers, would have needed to eat meat. They couldn’t eat another animal on the ship because then it would go extinct. So meat would need to be kept aboard, and on a leaky ship, meat would not keep very well at all. There’s also birds of pray like eagles and hawks, these birds do not eat seeds, they eat pray. There’s also bees and wasps collecting pollen. How would this be possible on a boat when all of the plants are under the water.

So what I think happened and is a more likely story is legend building. I think that there was a smaller flood that over time has been exaggerated . Maybe there was even a man who saved some animals, and that has also been exaggerated to a greater number of animals. But either way the story is a great representation of faith.

The spoken language endorsement is not assessed in the same way an essay is. Anyone reading the above (which I have not done, by the way) would only be able to assess it as an essay.

What they won't be able to assess is how well the ideas are communicated verbally, how well you engage with the audience, how well you listen to and answer questions, etc.

Sorry. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending