The Student Room Group

AQA AS Physics A Unit 1 January 2012 Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Hulksmash
A remember when I sat a unit 1 paper and a question came up asking to graph the characteristic graph for a semi-conductor and 0.6 v had to be shown but they accepted a range at which the gradient started to increase.

0.6v isn't a particularly tough figure to remember and it's defo worth doing a lot of questions on voltage characteristic graphs and learning their properties and key values.:borat:

I agree. Are they hard to remember. I just find all the graphs really long
Reply 41
LHS
BN=
K(-) has baryon number of -1/3
p has BN of 1
Q=0
S=1

RHS=
S=2
Q=1
X must have S=-1 Q=-1 BN=2/3
Therefore a sigma minus baryon is needed.
with Q=-1 S=-1 BN=2/3
has quark structure dds

X has S=-3, charge=-1,baryon number=+1,Lepton number=0. My question is what will particle X eventually decay into?
Reply 42
Original post by blue012
I agree. Are they hard to remember. I just find all the graphs really long

No, just try to understand the relationships that make the graphs look that way. They are a good way of visualizing the relationships between resistance, current and voltage etc.

:ms:
Hi everyone,

A couple of things:

1) To whoever it is that mentioned gluons and sigma particles, they are not on the specification so we do not need to know about them. If we are asked about them, we will be given any information we need in the paper. To quote the specification:

Classification of particles
Hadrons: baryons (proton, neutron) and antibaryons (antiproton and antineutron) and mesons (pion, kaon).
Hadrons are subject to the strong nuclear force.
Candidates should know that the proton is the only stable baryon into which other baryons eventually decay; in particular, the decay of the neutron should be known.
Leptons: electron, muon, neutrino (electron and muon types).
Leptons are subject to the weak interaction.
Candidates will be expected to know baryon numbers for the hadrons. Lepton numbers for the leptons will be given in the data booklet.
07)
Quarks and antiquarks
Up (u), down (d) and (s) quarks only.
Properties of quarks: charge, baryon number and strangeness.
Combinations of quarks and antiquarks required for baryons (proton and neutron
only), antibaryons (antiproton and antineutron only) and mesons (pion and kaon)
only.
Change of quark character in β- and β+ decay.
Application of the conservation laws for charge, baryon number, lepton number and strangeness to particle interactions. The necessary data will be provided in questions for particles outside those specified.

Source: http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-2450-W-SP.PDF

2) Feel free to bombard me with questions please everyone! I would like the extra practice! :smile:

NothingCrushesUs
Reply 44
when calculating specific charge, do you use atomic units mass from the data sheet, or do you use separate proton and neutron masses?

doesn't make much difference but may mean getting a question wrong by a small amount
Original post by kinak
when calculating specific charge, do you use atomic units mass from the data sheet, or do you use separate proton and neutron masses?

doesn't make much difference but may mean getting a question wrong by a small amount

Specific Charge = (Charge in coulombs) / (Mass in kilograms).
Reply 46
And for the mass (assuming its a nucleus) you add the proton mass and the neutron mass.
I was wondering which value you use on the data sheet
Atomic mass unit, or separate proton and neutron masses.
I think it is the later but I'm not shure.
Reply 47
Could someone help me . By explaining the voltage current graphs for a diode and a filament bulb . I'm okay up until current and voltage are proportional then i have no idea how to explain the next bit. Any help would be appreciated
Reply 48
Original post by anuradha_d
1. Voltage Rules for Series and Parallel
2. Same for Current and Resistance as above
3. Experiments (6 markers) for Thermistors/Resistance etc
4. Internal resistance and the graph
5. Oscilloscope rules
6. Car motors
7. Charge, Power (which is the same as energy dissapted)

Umm what about car motors i don't think i've done anything about that
Original post by GabGirl
Umm what about car motors i don't think i've done anything about that

Its just like, why won't a car start if the battery has a high internal resistance, and you have to be all, there wont be enough charge to get the car started etc
Reply 50
Original post by anuradha_d
Its just like, why won't a car start if the battery has a high internal resistance, and you have to be all, there wont be enough charge to get the car started etc

It's mostly just in how you apply internal resistance to other situations, really.

Please help. The event represented by, K(-) + p K(0)+ K(+) + X, is a strong interaction. The question is what will particle x decay into? If you know please explain why?

The question here really is "what is X"? Given that baryon number is always conserved, X must be a baryon (as there is one baryon on the left-hand-side). The only stable baryon is a proton; thus, the baryon would have to decay into a proton and then be unable to decay further.

Someone correct me if I'm talking rubbish, this seems about right to me.
Original post by SaltPillar
It's mostly just in how you apply internal resistance to other situations, really.

The question here really is "what is X"? Given that baryon number is always conserved, X must be a baryon (as there is one baryon on the left-hand-side). The only stable baryon is a proton; thus, the baryon would have to decay into a proton and then be unable to decay further.

Nope, sounds perfect to me :smile: conserving baryon number, and protons are the most stable baryon there is. So that isnt rubbish! xD
Reply 52
Original post by kinak
And for the mass (assuming its a nucleus) you add the proton mass and the neutron mass.

It's the latter, I'm pretty sure. Which paper does it crop up in (if any), since I can always check it against the mark schemes to be sure?

@anuradha_d: Alright, cool :biggrin:
Reply 53
Original post by kinak

You need to use SI units so mass in kg and Q in C rather than mass in u because specific charge (charge/mass ratio) is given in the units C/kg
Reply 54
Original post by SaltPillar

Yes , also this decay is a weak interaction so strangeness doesn't have to be conserved. Unlike the original interaction which was a strong interaction.
Reply 55
Is anyone doing the ISA unit on resistance?
Reply 56
You need to use SI units so mass in kg and Q in C rather than mass in u because specific charge (charge/mass ratio) is given in the units C/kg

The value on the data sheet gives the mas of one u in kg meaning the value is the same for protons and nutrons, however you could also us the separate masses given, giving a slightly different result.

I will check a mark scheme at some point if I can find one
Reply 57
Original post by kinak
The value on the data sheet gives the mas of one u in kg meaning the value is the same for protons and nutrons, however you could also us the separate masses given, giving a slightly different result.

I will check a mark scheme at some point if I can find one

The mass of each of the nucleons is not the same as the mass of the nucleus. There is a mass difference but at AS it is okay to total the mass of all the nucleons in Kg. At AS you do not need to know about atomic mass units only mass in kg and energy in eV.
Reply 58
On the data sheet:
atomic mass unit is 1.661 * 10^-27 kg
proton rest mass is 1.67(3) * 10^-27 kg
nutron rest mass is 1.67(5) * 10^-27 kg

So I guess the value to use is 1.67
I dont know why i got confused about this.
Reply 59
Yes , also this decay is a weak interaction so strangeness doesn't have to be conserved. Unlike the original interaction which was a strong interaction.

This, too. Thanks to conservation laws, it will have to eventually decay into a proton.
Original post by jassi1
Is anyone doing the ISA unit on resistance?

Don't think so, or not yet, anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending