AQA AS Physics A Unit 1 January 2012 Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by VY Rose
I averaged out all the raw marks yesterday for some friends:

64 raw for 100%
58 raw for 90%
52 raw for an A
45 raw for a B

Haven't done the rest but that should reassure some of you :smile: This paper was harder than most, so I think we'll be seeing slightly lower boundaries!

:frown: I hoped the A boundary would be 50.
Do you get error carried forward marks? On the current question, I did 4.5/2 instead of 2/4.5 so I got 2.25 instead of 0.4. So I have definitely lost a mark there. But for the current through R1 I just added my two currents up, which was the right method, just the wrong numbers, and then the same for working out resistance of R2... Gah! Hope I haven't lost too many marks...
Original post by the-girl
hey did anyone get 2 ohms for the internal resistance?

Yes, it was like 7 = 9 -1(r); so r = 2. Easy.
Reply 583
Original post by Member737,514
How many marks was the 6 protons 4 neutrons question worth? Totally miscalculated that. Fml.

i think it was like 2/3 marks dw yu'll probs get 1 maybe 2 for working out
Reply 584

I think I got that ...

I am so nervous that I've done what I did last time and completely mess up the electricity question even though I could have done nearly all of them.
Original post by BigJDizzler
Do you get error carried forward marks? On the current question, I did 4.5/2 instead of 2/4.5 so I got 2.25 instead of 0.4. So I have definitely lost a mark there. But for the current through R1 I just added my two currents up, which was the right method, just the wrong numbers, and then the same for working out resistance of R2... Gah! Hope I haven't lost too many marks...

You'll get carry forward marks, my physics teacher reassured us if our method was right but used wrong values from a previous question we should still get the marks.
Reply 586
Original post by Jammie Dodgers
Yes, it was like 7 = 9 -1(r); so r = 2. Easy.

Yee i was suspicious, it seemed a little too easy
im resiting this unit from last year, need 85ums from this paper to get an A overall.

from how i was doing with past papers i thought it was so doable but i shot myself in the foot with this paper, :frown:

refuse to resit this again so if i fail im gunna stick with my old mark.

oh and if it helps guys, unit 2 is sooooo much more easier than this!
Original post by Dunclr
what did people put for the final electricity question out of all of those 1 markers. I got 17 ohms but it made a massive difference depending on the current you used, if it was 0.4 or 0.444444444444

i thought the same too! if i use 0.4 it will be 19 ohms but i decided to use 0.444444444 so i got 17!

It was out of 4 marks.
Reply 590
How many marks was the 6 protons 4 neutrons question worth? Totally miscalculated that. Fml.

pretty sure it was 4 marks

Oooh really? Someone told me it was 4 but I didn't think it was.. And I won't as I didn't do any calculations on the paper, just put 5 and 5 :mad:
Reply 592
Original post by BigJDizzler

You definitely will get error carried forward marks, assuming you didn't make mistakes later. Any mistake you make usually only counts for 1 mark, even if it is the same question. Don't worry about it :smile:
Reply 593
Anyone else get a bit of a shock when they saw how many marks the first question was worth? 7 marks! An easy 10%.
Reply 594
Original post by mrwho
I think I got that ...

I am so nervous that I've done what I did last time and completely mess up the electricity question even though I could have done nearly all of them.

Yee I was sooo nervous too, and since everyone seemed all confident only made me more nervous ahh i really dont want i got in the exam :/.
Yee i was suspicious, it seemed a little too easy

People are often surprised when they put a question like that in, it's so that the paper is "pass-able" and the weaker candidates can pick up some marks.
Reply 596
Original post by V1ND4LOO
Anyone else get a bit of a shock when they saw how many marks the first question was worth? 7 marks! An easy 10%.

i made a strange high pitch noise and heard a few people blow when they opened the paper :L
Reply 597
Oooh really? Someone told me it was 4 but I didn't think it was.. And I won't as I didn't do any calculations on the paper, just put 5 and 5 :mad:

To clear up confusion.....the 4protons, 6 neutrons question was workth 4 marks...I know this for certain because forst i jus put 5 protons and 5 netrons thinkin it was easy then saw it was 4 marks and did all the long working coz they wouldn't give away 4 marks that easily!!
Reply 598
Original post by AmyTownshend
i made a strange high pitch noise and heard a few people blow when they opened the paper :L

There was a big grin across my face when I saw that! Did you get a pion+ btw?

I'm guessing they put in some easy marks at the start because the later marks were quite hard.
Reply 599

Yeah I did, alot of people did, but also alot of people got 0 internal resistance.. Either could be right :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending