The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by .eXe
As you've applied to 5 year program, you are considered alongside school leavers and your A levels and GCSE's are given more priority over your 2:1 degree.

Whilst certain medical schools require a minimum set of A level grades from graduate applicants to five yr degrees (usually a B in chemistry - which the OP has, and they are often flexible about this too), they would not give the "A levels more priority over the 2:1 degree". That would totally defeat the purpose of allowing graduate applicants to apply to the course.

Original post by Dwightman2
my degree in Biological and medicinal chemistry plus MSc should compensate for that, I know far more than any ****ty A leveler, am going to do a PhD instead

So are you no longer applying for medicine then?
Reply 21
good luck everyone :smile:
Original post by Dwightman2
I have applied twice now and need to know what I can do to make my application stronger:

I have:
GCSE
3A* - Geo, ICT, PE
4A - Maths, Biology, Physics, Chemistry
2B - English Lit, English Langage
C - German

AS ICT - C
A2 Chemistry - B
A2 Human Biology - B
A2 PE - A
UKCAT Avg: 640
Biological and Medicinal Chemistry BSc Hons - 2.1
Advanced Organic Chemistry - MSc

Work experience includes observational in various hospitals in various departments totaling about 4 weeks, including observing consultants and first year doctors. Also includes volunteering raising money for Little Havens Hospice.
Will soon include: volunteering working as a first aider for St John's Ambulance...

What else can I do? I keep getting rejected :frown:

Make sure your PS is as good as possible...Improve your UKCat score so it's closer to 700...also make sure your A levels are acceptable for the courses you apply for...have you finished your masters yet?
Reply 23
Original post by .eXe
You dont have any good Aès at A level (chemistry and biology) and overall your A level grades are pretty weak (compared to other applicants)

As you've applied to 5 year program, you are considered alongside school leavers and your A levels and GCSE's are given more priority over your 2:1 degree.

To be honest, unless you improve your A level grades, I dont see how you can get into a 5 year program.

Another option for you (since you have a degree already) is to do very well on the ukcat, and with a 2:1 and a strong ukcat, you will stand a much better chance in 4 year GEM programs.

That's simply not true. Med schools typically give a different standard for GCSEs/A-levels for grad applicants, and don't directly compare grads with school leavers. I know it's ridiculously unfair towards the grads because they would trounce school leavers if given equal billing, but a lot of med schools set aside a small number of places for grads (so grads suffer greater competition amongst each other) and do not compare them with school leavers at all (I know for a fact that this is the protocol for Cardiff and Peninsula because I was on their interview teams).

As long as you find out what the requirements are for grads at each uni, the good news is that you shouldn't expect to retake any A-levels. The bad news is that it's not much easier getting onto a 5-year course than it is getting onto GEM.
Reply 24
Original post by Taffy Duck
That's simply not true. Med schools typically give a different standard for GCSEs/A-levels for grad applicants, and don't directly compare grads with school leavers. I know it's ridiculously unfair towards the grads because they would trounce school leavers if given equal billing, but a lot of med schools set aside a small number of places for grads (so grads suffer greater competition amongst each other) and do not compare them with school leavers at all (I know for a fact that this is the protocol for Cardiff and Peninsula because I was on their interview teams).

As long as you find out what the requirements are for grads at each uni, the good news is that you shouldn't expect to retake any A-levels. The bad news is that it's not much easier getting onto a 5-year course than it is getting onto GEM.

I've told this person before to clarify everything he/she presumes before posting it on here and spreading false information! Not the first time they've spoke absolute toss!

Telling OP their grades are rubbish compared to school leavers and that they can't get into a five year course is the biggest load of crap ever.

OP truth is; competition. How well does your PS read, do you have relevant work exp and voluntary work which you can reflect on. Congrats on doing well in your degree btw. As some people have already said, some university's have a level requirments even if you do have a degree, but with ABB, that should be sufficient for most (definitely not all).

Email unis to see what their looking for and try and get as much feedback as possible. It could also be the ukcat or something as a lot of unis have implemented cut offs. Best of luck and let us know how you get on :smile:
Reply 25
Amen.
Reply 26
Seriously stfu i give people the most realistic picture from what info is available to me, you idiots give him info based on the minimum requirements and thereby false hope.

For example lets say a school has minimum reqs of CCC to apply. You people would tell a person that CCC means hes gonna get in and had a solid chance. Id tell the same person that although they neet the requirements, their chances are low due to high competition. This is what i said in my previous post. I believe you are giving the OP a very idealistic picture while i am providing a more realistic perspective.

Which is right is for OP to decide but i prefer not to live in ignorant and wishful thinking. Id rather just get the most realistic picture of my chances, while you people prefer to sugar coat things.
Reply 27
Original post by .eXe
Seriously stfu i give people the most realistic picture from what info is available to me, you idiots give him info based on the minimum requirements and thereby false hope.

For example lets say a school has minimum reqs of CCC to apply. You people would tell a person that CCC means hes gonna get in and had a solid chance. Id tell the same person that although they neet the requirements, their chances are low due to high competition. This is what i said in my previous post. I believe you are giving the OP a very idealistic picture while i am providing a more realistic perspective.

Which is right is for OP to decide but i prefer not to live in ignorant and wishful thinking. Id rather just get the most realistic picture of my chances, while you people prefer to sugar coat things.

It seems that "what info is available" to you isn't very good info because you appear to be clueless regarding the selection processes that med schools typically use (that you refer to ignorance and realism is laughable), and seem to want to misrepresent the advice we give, so I'll break it down for you.

1) We give advice based on information and recommendations given by university admissions staff, interview staff and previous applicants.

2) Universities set a minimum requirement as a means of reducing the number of applications they have to consider for interview, or as a final tiebreaker.

3) That minimum requirement is invariably higher than what you see in the prospectus, but admissions staff are pretty forthright with info regarding last year's eventual cutoff, and are usually a reliable indicator of this year's cutoff.

4) Contrary to what you think, grades are not a major part of the selection process. It's just something that you have to satisfy (similar to UKCAT/GAMSAT cutoffs) before they can consider you for interview (usually by looking at your PS).

You seem to think that we're giving the OP false hope. What we've told him is the reality of a typical med school selection system, which is that academic history is effectively a tickbox that must be satisified. The criteria changes from school to school, but as long as you satisfy that criteria, you can expect them to look at the rest of your application on an even footing with everyone else, tiebreakers notwithstanding.

What you have told him is that he will be directly compared to school leavers (untrue), that his A-levels will not be good enough (will vary by university), and that his BSc won't factor into the academic requirements (untrue). So much for realism.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 28
I can't reapply in my region as is my second consecutive application. My work experience includes observing in the departments of Renal, EADU, Respiratory totaling about 4-5 weeks. Also includes clinical work experience working with patients being a first aider. Started doing this a week ago now. Have also been a lifeguard, and currently work 40-50 hours in the lab for my MSc. I'm going to apply to do a PhD as I can get money for it. I'm also being paid now to do my MSc, which requires me to go to France for 3 months to work in a lab out there so have mentioned that for communication skills etc in my PS. I basically should have applied to do Med as soon as I left college, I would have got in for a foundation year probably. My housemates are now 4th year medics, I'm the first one to get up in the morning, I'm the first one to leave the house, and I'm the last person to come back home, I'm a hard worker, it's there loss tbh.
Reply 29
Original post by Taffy Duck
It seems that "what info is available" to you isn't very good info because you appear to be clueless regarding the selection processes that med schools typically use (that you refer to ignorance and realism is laughable), and seem to want to misrepresent the advice we give, so I'll break it down for you.

1) We give advice based on information and recommendations given by university admissions staff, interview staff and previous applicants.

2) Universities set a minimum requirement as a means of reducing the number of applications they have to consider for interview, or as a final tiebreaker.

3) That minimum requirement is invariably higher than what you see in the prospectus, but admissions staff are pretty forthright with info regarding last year's eventual cutoff, and are usually a reliable indicator of this year's cutoff.

4) Contrary to what you think, grades are not a major part of the selection process. It's just something that you have to satisfy (similar to UKCAT/GAMSAT cutoffs) before they can consider you for interview (usually by looking at your PS).

You seem to think that we're giving the OP false hope. What we've told him is the reality of a typical med school selection system, which is that academic history is effectively a tickbox that must be satisified. The criteria changes from school to school, but as long as you satisfy that criteria, you can expect them to look at the rest of your application on an even footing with everyone else, tiebreakers notwithstanding.

What you have told him is that he will be directly compared to school leavers (untrue), that his A-levels will not be good enough (will vary by university), and that his BSc won't factor into the academic requirements (untrue). So much for realism.

directly compared to school leavers :

I didn't say every school does this did I? The OP has applied 2 times so I think it's fair to say he knows how the system works. This thread is not asking about which schools he should apply to or what they require. He is asking about why he was denied and I am trying to determine some rationales for that. Your advised has concentrated on where he should be applying and that is not what the OP made this thread about. Nice on topic responses there.

that his A-levels will not be good enough:

I vaguely remember mentioning somewhere in my post the word comparatively If you do not understand what that word means, then I suggest you google it.

that his BSc won't factor into the academic requirements:

Please don't put words into my mouth. Please find my the exact quote where I said his degree won't factor in. Please find me that quote. Notice I said please 3 (now 4) times: A sign that your reading skills are beginning to irritate me.

Yes, I did give a realistic view. Goodbye.
(edited 12 years ago)
Ok that's enough people.

/thread

Latest

Trending

Trending