The Student Room Group
University of Bedfordshire | Outside Campus Centre
University of Bedfordshire
Luton
Visit website

University of Bedfordshire Applicants 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
i got an uncondional offer for biomedical science :smile:) took them about 2 weeks to get back to me.
University of Bedfordshire | Outside Campus Centre
University of Bedfordshire
Luton
Visit website
Is anybody else going to their applicant open day tomorrow? And does anyone know if there's an onsite cafe open around 8.30-9.30am?
Reply 22
29th Februar = interview date. Wooop
Original post by Stevo112
29th Februar = interview date. Wooop

What course is that for? I havn't been given any interviews..
Reply 24
Original post by littleone271
What course is that for? I havn't been given any interviews..

that is for a pgce in ks2/ks3 maths, and your looking at undergrad right?
that is for a pgce in ks2/ks3 maths, and your looking at undergrad right?

Yeah undergrad. I've had a conditional offer to study psychology with criminal behaviour. Have you been to an open day there before?
Reply 26
Yeah undergrad. I've had a conditional offer to study psychology with criminal behaviour. Have you been to an open day there before?

ah the interview will be my open day! How about you?
ah the interview will be my open day! How about you?

I'm going to one tomorrow :smile:
Reply 28
I'm going to one tomorrow :smile:

dont forget to report back to us regarding the cafe opening time problem :tongue:
dont forget to report back to us regarding the cafe opening time problem :tongue:

Oh I will! lol I know it seems like a really daft, random thing to be thinking about but it was really annoying when me and my parents went to see southampton solent because we got up at 5 so by about 8 we were starting to get hungry. We decided not to have breakfast at the motorway services place because the plan was to get to the university early and have a nice fry up in the canteen.

When we got there we spent ages walking around trying to find somewhere on campus that had food and then we were told costa was about to open so we waited. Costa didn't open til like 30 mins later and by that time it was too late to find a local cafe because we had to go to a talk or a tour of the halls or something so we didn't get to eat anything until the free buffet lunch at like 1pm lol. We were so hungry that it kinda put a dampener on the day. It wasn't helped by the fact that the whole reason we'd planned having breakfast on arrival was because my stepdad had a really nice fry up in the canteen at bournemouth university when he took my stepbrother there. He was basically banging on all day about how hungry he was and saying 'This didn't happen at bournemouth!!' and my mum telling him off for stopping us from eating at the services place lol. Bit of a nightmare really...

REALLY hoping the same thing won't happen tomorrow! To be honest I'll probably use this as an excuse to get a maccy d's breakfast.. Every cloud has a silver lining! lol
Reply 30
Oh I will! lol I know it seems like a really daft, random thing to be thinking about but it was really annoying when me and my parents went to see southampton solent because we got up at 5 so by about 8 we were starting to get hungry. We decided not to have breakfast at the motorway services place because the plan was to get to the university early and have a nice fry up in the canteen.

When we got there we spent ages walking around trying to find somewhere on campus that had food and then we were told costa was about to open so we waited. Costa didn't open til like 30 mins later and by that time it was too late to find a local cafe because we had to go to a talk or a tour of the halls or something so we didn't get to eat anything until the free buffet lunch at like 1pm lol. We were so hungry that it kinda put a dampener on the day. It wasn't helped by the fact that the whole reason we'd planned having breakfast on arrival was because my stepdad had a really nice fry up in the canteen at bournemouth university when he took my stepbrother there. He was basically banging on all day about how hungry he was and saying 'This didn't happen at bournemouth!!' and my mum telling him off for stopping us from eating at the services place lol. Bit of a nightmare really...

REALLY hoping the same thing won't happen tomorrow! To be honest I'll probably use this as an excuse to get a maccy d's breakfast.. Every cloud has a silver lining! lol

hahaha sounds like your well excited for your lil visit tomorrow! I hope it all goes well for you, and don't forget to update us on how the place looks!

I'm pretty much going for the course alone. Pretty much the only uni in the country which does it. Roll on the journey from liverpool :biggrin:
hahaha sounds like your well excited for your lil visit tomorrow! I hope it all goes well for you, and don't forget to update us on how the place looks!

I'm pretty much going for the course alone. Pretty much the only uni in the country which does it. Roll on the journey from liverpool :biggrin:

Right... well they give you free tea and coffee when you get there (the open day) but no food! We had to wait until 12pm for the sandwiches :frown:...

Overall a brilliant place. I'm totally sold! It will definitely be my insurance choice and possibly my first choice if I don't like portsmouth as much when I go to see it. The talk about the subject (psychology) was REALLY good and informative. I really liked the way the lecturer actually spoke about psychology itself and the brain and everything rather than just rambling on about the modules.

Unfortunately I didn't get to see the laboratories because there was a burst pipe and steam everywhere which set the fire alarm off so we were all evacuated haha. I felt really bad for them though because the organization was brilliant and the insides of the buildings were really nice and modern. It was obviously just because of the freezing cold weather as it seemed even colder in luton than it does in Kent (where I live). It was obvious that kind of thing wasn't a regular occurence because everything was just so immaculate.

The location and the accommodation were probably the best things about it. The location was absolutely perfect like couldn't possibly be better really. The fitzroy court accommodation which is soooo nice is literally opposite the university on the other side of the road and the rent is quite expensive (£126pw for a standard room) but they're much more spacious than at other universities I've seen, they're all en suite, you get leather sofas, pool tables, a really nice modern kitchen and free access to the gym which is on the ground floor!

On the other side of the university you have the mall which again is literally just across the road and in there there's some really good shops. They've got M&S, Debenhams, New Look, Rymans, Peacocks, Body Shop etc. Best of all there's a big indoor market in the mall which was really nice and there were LOADS of nice stalls selling clothes, jewellery, food from around the world etc. It was a real shock for me just how multicultural it was and I loved it. I couldn't help thinking how amazing it must be to have all that variety sitting just yards away from your doorstep.

I should totally do PR lol
Reply 32
Right... well they give you free tea and coffee when you get there (the open day) but no food! We had to wait until 12pm for the sandwiches :frown:...

Overall a brilliant place. I'm totally sold! It will definitely be my insurance choice and possibly my first choice if I don't like portsmouth as much when I go to see it. The talk about the subject (psychology) was REALLY good and informative. I really liked the way the lecturer actually spoke about psychology itself and the brain and everything rather than just rambling on about the modules.

Unfortunately I didn't get to see the laboratories because there was a burst pipe and steam everywhere which set the fire alarm off so we were all evacuated haha. I felt really bad for them though because the organization was brilliant and the insides of the buildings were really nice and modern. It was obviously just because of the freezing cold weather as it seemed even colder in luton than it does in Kent (where I live). It was obvious that kind of thing wasn't a regular occurence because everything was just so immaculate.

The location and the accommodation were probably the best things about it. The location was absolutely perfect like couldn't possibly be better really. The fitzroy court accommodation which is soooo nice is literally opposite the university on the other side of the road and the rent is quite expensive (£126pw for a standard room) but they're much more spacious than at other universities I've seen, they're all en suite, you get leather sofas, pool tables, a really nice modern kitchen and free access to the gym which is on the ground floor!

On the other side of the university you have the mall which again is literally just across the road and in there there's some really good shops. They've got M&S, Debenhams, New Look, Rymans, Peacocks, Body Shop etc. Best of all there's a big indoor market in the mall which was really nice and there were LOADS of nice stalls selling clothes, jewellery, food from around the world etc. It was a real shock for me just how multicultural it was and I loved it. I couldn't help thinking how amazing it must be to have all that variety sitting just yards away from your doorstep.

I should totally do PR lol

ahh they are interviewing me in a school, so hot dinners!!! i'm hoping anyways....

it sounds pretty cool! are you a southern gal then? i'm from north you see and we do things a bit differently.... heard a lot of bad things about bedfordshire :frown: but it sounds alright from what you have said!
ahh they are interviewing me in a school, so hot dinners!!! i'm hoping anyways....

it sounds pretty cool! are you a southern gal then? i'm from north you see and we do things a bit differently.... heard a lot of bad things about bedfordshire :frown: but it sounds alright from what you have said!

Yeah I'm from Kent so South-East. I was born in london so 100% southern! I don't think I've even been up north before :/ lol I think there are quite a lot of differences between southerners and northerners and I've actually found that northerners tend to be more friendly as in like more likely to talk to strangers and I like that about them.

Yeah I've heard bad things about its reputation and drop out rates etc. To be honest I think the bad drop out rate is because bedfordshire aren't particularly picky and they take students with low grades or grades from an irrelevant subject area. It would stand to reason that if they take students for a psychology course who have done BTECs in art or business or A-levels in things like English, Drama, Music etc. Then they are less likely to get a high percentage of people graduating than a university that only accepts people for psychology who have either done psychology or science A-levels or a science BTEC. They give chances to students who show no evidence that they can cope with the degree course and some of them won't be able to cope.

I come from quite a posh area to be honest and although my family don't have a lot of money, we have fairly middle class roots and values. When I went to see UEL with my dad I found Stratford quite scary and uninviting, especially when it started to get dark and I couldn't imagine myself ever feeling comfortable commuting from stratford to docklands on my own at night. Luton was completely different. I loved the indoor market and the diversity of people and I found it really refreshing having been brought up in an area that is predominantly white middle class. Apparently when I was 3 and we'd just moved here from London (about a year before) I was in a restaurant with my mum and I embarassed her by shouting "oh look mummy, a black man!" lol it was the first black person I'd seen since we moved. That's how white it is here and it's not something I particularly like to be honest. At Luton it might sound weird but I could have sat in the shopping centre all day people watching because it was just so much more interesting than what I'm used to.
Reply 34
Yeah I'm from Kent so South-East. I was born in london so 100% southern! I don't think I've even been up north before :/ lol I think there are quite a lot of differences between southerners and northerners and I've actually found that northerners tend to be more friendly as in like more likely to talk to strangers and I like that about them.

Yeah I've heard bad things about its reputation and drop out rates etc. To be honest I think the bad drop out rate is because bedfordshire aren't particularly picky and they take students with low grades or grades from an irrelevant subject area. It would stand to reason that if they take students for a psychology course who have done BTECs in art or business or A-levels in things like English, Drama, Music etc. Then they are less likely to get a high percentage of people graduating than a university that only accepts people for psychology who have either done psychology or science A-levels or a science BTEC. They give chances to students who show no evidence that they can cope with the degree course and some of them won't be able to cope.

I come from quite a posh area to be honest and although my family don't have a lot of money, we have fairly middle class roots and values. When I went to see UEL with my dad I found Stratford quite scary and uninviting, especially when it started to get dark and I couldn't imagine myself ever feeling comfortable commuting from stratford to docklands on my own at night. Luton was completely different. I loved the indoor market and the diversity of people and I found it really refreshing having been brought up in an area that is predominantly white middle class. Apparently when I was 3 and we'd just moved here from London (about a year before) I was in a restaurant with my mum and I embarassed her by shouting "oh look mummy, a black man!" lol it was the first black person I'd seen since we moved. That's how white it is here and it's not something I particularly like to be honest. At Luton it might sound weird but I could have sat in the shopping centre all day people watching because it was just so much more interesting than what I'm used to.

yea, southerners seem to be a bit more, welll, stuck up/set in their ways at times! We are th friendly folk you are right :smile:

interesting thoughts, the one i went to (liverpool hope) was similar a few years back but they have one of the highest rates of student satisfaction and post-education employment rates... they pretty much churn out teachers lol. But you seem quite intelligent so it is better not to worry about reputation if it gets you closer to a nice future job etc.

Just don't be shouting 'yikes, look at all the black people here!!' when you start your perving in the marketplace else the lutonfolk might think your weird :p: I genuinely believe in going somewhere different just for the experience. That is why i'm happy about bedfordshire.... it will be the first time I have lived in the south and it is so close to london, man it pure beats liverpool! If these guys reject me, will be trying Canterbury, sussex and the newcastle (couldn't resist, being a newcastle united supporter and all!). You should swing by a northern town sometime just for the experience though, would blow your mind!
yea, southerners seem to be a bit more, welll, stuck up/set in their ways at times! We are th friendly folk you are right :smile:

interesting thoughts, the one i went to (liverpool hope) was similar a few years back but they have one of the highest rates of student satisfaction and post-education employment rates... they pretty much churn out teachers lol. But you seem quite intelligent so it is better not to worry about reputation if it gets you closer to a nice future job etc.

Just don't be shouting 'yikes, look at all the black people here!!' when you start your perving in the marketplace else the lutonfolk might think your weird :p: I genuinely believe in going somewhere different just for the experience. That is why i'm happy about bedfordshire.... it will be the first time I have lived in the south and it is so close to london, man it pure beats liverpool! If these guys reject me, will be trying Canterbury, sussex and the newcastle (couldn't resist, being a newcastle united supporter and all!). You should swing by a northern town sometime just for the experience though, would blow your mind!

I think bedfordshire is fairly easy to get into but I guess it's probably different for postgrad?

Yeah I won't be shouting that lol..

I don't think we're all stuck up lol well I'm definitely not and most people I know aren't. I'm actually quite friendly and would be the one to chat to randomers at bus stops and make friends when I go places etc. I have a friend at leeds university and she loves it there and has said before that I should visit her for a weekend so I might just do that!

As for bedfordshire's reputation... I've also got an offer from portsmouth and I was sure that they'd be my 1st choice because they want more from me in terms of grades than my other choices (bedfordshire being the lowest) but now I'm not sure because I think I'd rather go somewhere that I'll really be happy at and get an academic scholarship (3k a year) than go to a 'better' university and be somewhere I don't love. It's not all about location and accommodation because I really love the sound of the course at beds and the way it's structured in terms of exams. I still need to see portsmouth though so I'll make up my mind then I think.
Reply 36
Hey there!

I've applied to the university of Bedforshire for animation. Went to my interview a few weeks ago and got a conditional offer last week :smile:

I'm really not sure about going at the moment though, I've heard some horrible things about Luton and I didn't have the nicest time when I went looking around the area. Does anyone else have these concerns?
Original post by LilyLeaf
Hey there!

I've applied to the university of Bedforshire for animation. Went to my interview a few weeks ago and got a conditional offer last week :smile:

I'm really not sure about going at the moment though, I've heard some horrible things about Luton and I didn't have the nicest time when I went looking around the area. Does anyone else have these concerns?

Sorry I know this is a bit of a dead thread lol but yeah I absolutely loved bedfordshire when I went to see it and I actually really liked the area. I love how the shopping mall is just opposite the halls and the university and the indoor market is pretty cool. I know it's not exactly a posh area and I'm probably more likely to get stabbed or raped or something in Luton than my hometown but tbh I don't really care that much. There's good and bad everywhere you go and you can't let crime statistics run your life. Plus there's a private gym in fitzroy court and that's just far too cool to say no to lol

I think it's a good university and their facilities are meant to be pretty amazing so I think it would be a shame to turn it down based on the local area.
Any BSc Social Work firmers/applicants?
Original post by Hermione_moo
Any BSc Social Work firmers/applicants?

It's really hard to find people who are applying to bedfordshire! lol I've firmed them for psychology and criminal behaviour :smile:

Have you applied for your halls yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending