Sheffield

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. :smile:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 181
Do you know how easy it would be for me to change from Business Management to Business Management and Economics?
Reply 182
Original post by katwall1
Do you know how easy it would be for me to change from Business Management to Business Management and Economics?

Fairly easy I'd imagine. This depends on the situation of course. :smile:
Within the Law department, lots switch from Law and European to Law, or Law and French and so on. I'd imagine it was easy, but I'd speak to the department to be sure. Within the first 3 weeks of university, you need to change if you go to the University of Sheffield, otherwise you cannot. It should be fairly easy though, you just need a form to be filled in. If you visit the department as soon as you move it, you're more likely to succeed in changing. Hope I've helped. :smile:
Reply 183
By the way, this is a really useful thread - thank you! I'll have to think up some more questions to ask
Reply 184
:smile::smile:Fairly easy I'd imagine. This depends on the situation of course.
Reply 185
Original post by DDcathy
By the way, this is a really useful thread - thank you! I'll have to think up some more questions to ask

No worries. I am here to help. :smile:
Reply 186
Not sure if this has already been asked, but here goes. Basically, some courses at some unis let you take a couple of modules from outside of your course in the first year. On the page of the course I want to study at Sheffield it doesn't mention whether this is possible or not. Any ideas?

Also, is anyone you know in the horse riding club/team? Any idea how active it is?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 187
I have an offer from Sheffield for Law: why did you choose it over other unis?
Original post by lizolove
Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. :smile:

Hey, Its really good of you to take so much time out to respond to people's questions (I say this as a keen procrastinator myself :colondollar: ) but yeah, it is always reassuring to hear from someone with first-hand experience :smile:

I do have a few questions, unfortunately not directly related to Sheffield -It was originally one of my initial choices though, and I visited on an open day, and was very impressed.. the only thing that stopped me applying was that the grades for the politics course seem slightly out of my reach :frown:

So i was wondering if I could be so cheeky as to ask a couple of general questions;

How is Yorkshire as a place? (from down south and hopefully I will be heading up your way, just not Sheffield) i.e have you visited the Dales?

Do you know anything of how languages are taught? - i realise they are specific to different unis but it would be nice to have some sort of idea :smile:

Sorry for the long passage, though I expect you're probably quite familiar with them in your line of studying :wink:
Reply 189
Original post by IngensPolyspaston
Hey, Its really good of you to take so much time out to respond to people's questions (I say this as a keen procrastinator myself :colondollar: ) but yeah, it is always reassuring to hear from someone with first-hand experience :smile:

I do have a few questions, unfortunately not directly related to Sheffield -It was originally one of my initial choices though, and I visited on an open day, and was very impressed.. the only thing that stopped me applying was that the grades for the politics course seem slightly out of my reach :frown:

So i was wondering if I could be so cheeky as to ask a couple of general questions;

How is Yorkshire as a place? (from down south and hopefully I will be heading up your way, just not Sheffield) i.e have you visited the Dales?

Do you know anything of how languages are taught? - i realise they are specific to different unis but it would be nice to have some sort of idea :smile:

Sorry for the long passage, though I expect you're probably quite familiar with them in your line of studying :wink:

Haha, yes, Law is full of plenty of long texts and so on!
Yorkshire is nice. Not too busy, but not too deserted. Having come from a big city, it's nice to have a bit or normalisation in terms of that.

No idea about the language however, apologies. I believe someone will be able to be more specific with your answer though.
Original post by lauren_a
Not sure if this has already been asked, but here goes. Basically, some courses at some unis let you take a couple of modules from outside of your course in the first year. On the page of the course I want to study at Sheffield (Journalism BA) it doesn't mention whether this is possible or not. Any ideas?

Also, is anyone you know in the horse riding club/team? Any idea how active it is?

Yep, it's possible, and for journalism in the first year you get 40 credits to use either within the department or in any other department subject to their requirements. Modules can either be 10 or 20 credits so you pick and choose based on your timetable and obviously your interests.
In my first year I did tabloid journalism (10), gender sexuality and society (10 - that's a sociology module) and gender in East Asia (20)
In the second year you only get 20 credits to use as you please and you pretty much have to choose from within the department (this year it was alternative media or language and journalism)
I hope that makes sense, I remember how confusing it was to understand the whole credits/unrestricted modules thing when I first started!
Reply 191
just noticed that i need to pick an option for 10 credits in first year, too. but how exactly is it supposed to work? read something about module declaration during intro week... i mean, do they really make us pick a module at that day even though no one probably has a clue about its content? seems kinda daunting. :s-smilie:
Reply 192
Original post by apassingfeeling
Yep, it's possible, and for journalism in the first year you get 40 credits to use either within the department or in any other department subject to their requirements. Modules can either be 10 or 20 credits so you pick and choose based on your timetable and obviously your interests.
In my first year I did tabloid journalism (10), gender sexuality and society (10 - that's a sociology module) and gender in East Asia (20)
In the second year you only get 20 credits to use as you please and you pretty much have to choose from within the department (this year it was alternative media or language and journalism)
I hope that makes sense, I remember how confusing it was to understand the whole credits/unrestricted modules thing when I first started!

Ah that's brilliant, got me even more excited and I don't even have an offer yet. I'd definitely want to take some extra journalism modules, but I really want to do one on gender. Yeah it makes sense that you'd focus on the course completely in second year. Sounds perfect, thanks!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ohdrama
just noticed that i need to pick an option for 10 credits in first year, too. but how exactly is it supposed to work? read something about module declaration during intro week... i mean, do they really make us pick a module at that day even though no one probably has a clue about its content? seems kinda daunting. :s-smilie:

They ask you to read through the module directory closer to the time which has details of every module offered by every course - what it's about, how it's assessed, any requirements you have to meet (e.g. I wanted to do a history one but it needed an A level in history that I didn't have) so you will know. And in the first week you go to a specific venue and it's kinda like a module fair with lecturers sitting at tables representing different departments, so if you still felt a bit unsure about the content of a module you can ask them any questions. You only sign up for modules after this has happened :smile:
Reply 194
Assuming I pass my level 1, I'd like to study level 2 in sign language at university. Any idea if that will be possible at part of a society or would it be an extra on top of my degree? I'm doing medicine. Not entirely sure how extra modules would work as part of that, but I'm curious.
Original post by twelve
Assuming I pass my level 1, I'd like to study level 2 in sign language at university. Any idea if that will be possible at part of a society or would it be an extra on top of my degree? I'm doing medicine. Not entirely sure how extra modules would work as part of that, but I'm curious.

Hm, you definitely won't be able to learn sign language as part of the medical course; it's pretty rigidly defined. BSL evening classes do exist within the city, though. :smile:
Original post by twelve

There is a sign language society here, I'm not entirely sure what they do though. There'll be a societies fair during freshers week where you'll be able to ask them questions though :smile:
Reply 197
Oh, another quick question about taking extra modules. Does it matter if all of your extra modules are autumn term ones, or it is advisable to ensure some are spring term to even out the workload?
Sounds odd, but what would you say is the Black population of your uni?
Original post by lauren_a
Oh, another quick question about taking extra modules. Does it matter if all of your extra modules are autumn term ones, or it is advisable to ensure some are spring term to even out the workload?

They probably won't let you have an 80-40 or a 40-80 split. For biology, you have to argue your case if you choose this.

Edit: 80-40 meaning number of credits /120

Latest

Trending

Trending