The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
Hi, I have firmed accounting and financial management, do you have any knowledge in terms of how good the teaching is, facilities and is it a respected uni for this course??
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 461
Original post by ConnorJK
Hi, I have firmed accounting and financial management, do you have any knowledge in terms of how good the teaching is, facilities and is it a respected uni for this course??

I cannot tell you anything in detail, because I don't do that course, but I am sure you will see how good it is from open days or others on this thread. Mt flatmate does Business Management though, and says the department is brilliant. I think the financial departments all won an award recently, so that can only be a good thing! x
Reply 462
Original post by lizolove
I cannot tell you anything in detail, because I don't do that course, but I am sure you will see how good it is from open days or others on this thread. Mt flatmate does Business Management though, and says the department is brilliant. I think the financial departments all won an award recently, so that can only be a good thing! x

Ok thanks, hoping I can get the grades now now, I am predicted ABC when i need ABB, if I do get 1 grade lower than they asked for is there any chance I could still get in??
Reply 463
Original post by ConnorJK
Ok thanks, hoping I can get the grades now now, I am predicted ABC when i need ABB, if I do get 1 grade lower than they asked for is there any chance I could still get in??

It depends really.
I wouldn't use my word as proof, as I have no idea, but I am guessing it depends on the department, if they normally let lower grades in or not too. Also, whether they liked your personal statement/interview to the extent that they will allow you to drop a grade. And, obviously, how many are waiting on a place, how many applied, and whether any other candidates are in your position, or whether it is just you.

There's no telling really, but the Law department allowed a few in during my year based on their excellent personal statements, so it's possible. x
You pay £150 to cover any damages in the year, but if there are none, all is returned to you. Otherwise, you pay in 3 installments (everybody does) which are taken out of your bank account a few days after each student loan installment. These dates are in October, January and April. Each amount varies on your room type, but for £4600 rent, it'd be about £1500 each time (give or take). I pay a little less than £5000 for my rent (deluxe room) and I've paid £1400, £1650 and £1800 or so. I'd recommend creating another bank account to put your accommodation money in if you feel tempted to spend it. (: (And don't get a debit card with that account, so you can't!)

Awesome, thanks. I'm sure I've read that elsewhere, but I couldn't for the life of me find it! :smile:
Reply 465
Original post by okthefolkie
Awesome, thanks. I'm sure I've read that elsewhere, but I couldn't for the life of me find it! :smile:

No worries! x
Reply 466
I don't like the accommodation application thing :frown:
If I pick endcliffe deluxe self catered my 2nd choice is automatically catered? I definitely don't want catered though :/

Also I am having surgery in July which is gonna put me out of action for a month or so, with a slow recovery. Do I list that as a disability/tell them now even though I haven't had the surgery, or do I wait until I know for certain how big of an effect it's going to have on my lifestyle come September?

For example if I'm still bad I'd prefer a ground floor flat, but if I have a good recovery I'd rather not be ground floor, dilemma?
Reply 467
Original post by Roxas
If I pick endcliffe deluxe self catered my 2nd choice is automatically catered? I definitely don't want catered though :/

Also I am having surgery in July which is gonna put me out of action for a month or so, with a slow recovery. Do I list that as a disability/tell them now even though I haven't had the surgery, or do I wait until I know for certain how big of an effect it's going to have on my lifestyle come September?

For example if I'm still bad I'd prefer a ground floor flat, but if I have a good recovery I'd rather not be ground floor, dilemma?

Just mention it to them about the ground floor flats.
But as for the deluxe issue, are you sure this is the case?
The best thing you can do is call and ask them or inform them about it. :smile:
Reply 468
Original post by Chapeau Rouge
I was friends with a German ERASMUS student who lived in Endcliffe last year only until February, so it's definitely fine :smile: She was placed with lots of other international students in her flat so that was pretty cool.

Ok thank you very much for your answer :smile:
I was really worried about not getting any chance to have a room there because my family is running out of money so private housing is a bit too expensive for me.
Hello, I thought of another question I have, I hope you don't mind me posting again!
I understand there's lots of bus services from endcliffe to the actual uni, and this doesn't bother me as I'll probably walk most days anyway...
But I was wondering whether there are buses/trams that go from endcliffe to sheffield station, as I understand that's quite a long walk.
I tried to have a look online but because I don't know Sheffield at all, all the bus timetables and maps are pretty confusing!!
Reply 470
Original post by marianne93
Hello, I thought of another question I have, I hope you don't mind me posting again!
I understand there's lots of bus services from endcliffe to the actual uni, and this doesn't bother me as I'll probably walk most days anyway...
But I was wondering whether there are buses/trams that go from endcliffe to sheffield station, as I understand that's quite a long walk.
I tried to have a look online but because I don't know Sheffield at all, all the bus timetables and maps are pretty confusing!!

The 120 bus goes from the road that Ranmoor and Endcliffe run onto. The bus is currently 60p, and the journey is 30 minutes in rush hour traffic. :smile:
Otherwise, there are buses like the 124 or something that run from the bottom of Endcliffe, but they aren't as frequent.
Hope this helps. x
Reply 471
hi again :tongue:

when do people usually leave before christmas? the last day before christmas break seems to be friday, 14th dec. would it be weird to leave on saturday then? :s-smilie:
Reply 472
Original post by ohdrama
hi again :tongue:

when do people usually leave before christmas? the last day before christmas break seems to be friday, 14th dec. would it be weird to leave on saturday then? :s-smilie:

It depends when your timetable ends! Few people are fortunate enough to have that week ending early (I would have finished on the Tuesday before the week ending, had it not been for my seminar on the Thursday!) - so it varies. Most people do leave on the Friday of their last lecture/seminar though, but a few stay behind a bit to get the cheaper and quieter trains (more of a demand means the companies sometimes raise the prices for a bit of a profit).
People sometimes even skip seminars and go back early, but I wouldn't recommend doing that at all. Don't worry about it, it's fine! Most people get lifts home or drive home though due to the amount of books they need to take back, so people leave the village gradually over the two weeks of and after the last week of lectures. It's a ghost town after that, seriously! I came back on the 2nd of Jan and it was deserted in my village!
Reply 473
Original post by Roxas

Yeah, same, but for Endcliffe standard ensuite self-catered.
It does say on the form though, that "if you choose self-catering and if your preferred location is full you will be offered self-catering on an alternative location", so it sounds like we'll just be randomly put in self-catering in Ranmoor or the City and they won't take the catered second choice into account. At least, that's how I took it. I don't know if I've understood it correctly.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 474
Are the women hot?
Reply 475
Having firmed Sheffield for Bsc Business Management, how possible is it to change to the dual Business Management & Economics degree.
On the management school FAQ it mentions the first 3 week period to change degree programme where changes are possible but not guaranteed, but would that apply here?

Or is this a question for admissions?
Reply 476
I'm currently studying LLB Law, I love it. It's hard work, but most degrees are!
The current requirement to pass is 40%. Also, first year grades are important, as employers may look at them, but they are not part of your overall degree grades. :smile:

i'm going to study LLB Law too!! (if i get in) what was your offer and what did you get prior to going to sheff ?
Reply 477
Original post by tdkr
i'm going to study LLB Law too!! (if i get in) what was your offer and what did you get prior to going to sheff ?

I am also doing the LLB, I got an offer for AAA/A*AB and I achieved AAA so got in :smile: Hope you manage to get the grades, Sheffield is the best place around, can't imagine what life would have been like had I not gone there! :hugs:
Reply 478
Original post by tdkr

Sorry for the late reply - exams!

I was offered AAA and got AAAB (for some reason I did 4 A-Levels).
But, like I said, depending on whether the department are being lenient this year or so on, you could get in with AAB or something, especially if you have a good personal statement. Don't obviously aim for AAB, but in a bad scenario where you get AAB, or think you've done badly in an exam, there's hope yet!
Like Amy said, it really is amazing here, so well done on getting a place, and just work hard to secure it! Good luck!
Reply 479
Sorry for the late reply - exams!

I was offered AAA and got AAAB (for some reason I did 4 A-Levels).
But, like I said, depending on whether the department are being lenient this year or so on, you could get in with AAB or something, especially if you have a good personal statement. Don't obviously aim for AAB, but in a bad scenario where you get AAB, or think you've done badly in an exam, there's hope yet!
Like Amy said, it really is amazing here, so well done on getting a place, and just work hard to secure it! Good luck!

thanks for the advice :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending