The Student Room Group

sociology exam 12th January 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by s_axo
Exactly :biggrin: Managed to stick in around 10 theorists for first essay question, and about 6 for other

well the first essay was an examine question so that means 14 A01 and 10 AO2. If you spent your time writing about so many theorists did you manage to get in a bigger proportion of A01 (knowledge and understanding)?
Reply 181
Original post by youngkhalifia
well the first essay was an examine question so that means 14 A01 and 10 AO2. If you spent your time writing about so many theorists did you manage to get in a bigger proportion of A01 (knowledge and understanding)?

Yup :smile: I usually split my essays in to A01 and A02 anyway. Hope it went well for you! :biggrin:
I got about 4 theorists for the examine question and about 6/7 for the assess. I didn't spend time looking at individual sociologists point of view, I looked more toward the views of Functionalists, Marxists, Feminists and The New Right. For functionalists I mentioned Parsons instrumental and expressive views and how social policy such as 'school holidays' strengthen these views. I critised this by arguing that the fuctionalist view is old fashioned. Then continue to not accept other family types which are growing within society. I think i mentioned Zaretsky for marxism. e.g social policy stops children from working. This means that they are economically dependent on their parents and this makes them a subordinate, an idealogy which they go on to accept in the work place benefiting the upper classes. I then criticized this by arguing that social policy is their to protect children from dangerous working environments therefore having a positive effect on family life. I then went on to discuss feminism as they agree with marxism that social policy has negative impacts on family life. I then mentioned 'school holidays' and spoke about how they strengthen inequality within the family stopping mothers from going to work and therefore forcing them to firstly play the expressive role and secondly make them economically reliant on men. I cant remember how i criticised feminists.

how do you guys think i did?
^^^ thats for the assess question by the way lol
Ah! Thinking back I could have included so much more in the family size question! Never mind, will just have to cross my fingers for March :smile: Does anyone know the exact date we get our results on?
Reply 185
Original post by GemmaJewell
Ah! Thinking back I could have included so much more in the family size question! Never mind, will just have to cross my fingers for March :smile: Does anyone know the exact date we get our results on?

March 8th! Don't worry about it; there are retakes. Also, the boundary is 39 for an A so very low :smile: xx
How do you know the grade boundaries? And don't they chance in response to the grades when the exam is marked. EG if everyone gets an A, they make the grade boundary higher or is that the UMS I am confuseddddd loool
Original post by s_axo
March 8th! Don't worry about it; there are retakes. Also, the boundary is 39 for an A so very low :smile: xx

Okay thank you :smile: and yes very true!
Reply 188
How do you know the grade boundaries? And don't they chance in response to the grades when the exam is marked. EG if everyone gets an A, they make the grade boundary higher or is that the UMS I am confuseddddd loool

Yes; you are correct. However, the grade boundaries have always been around 39-40 ish
Alright, ill bare that in mind
Reply 190
Alright, ill bare that in mind

Don't worry hehe :tongue: We've probably all done well
Reply 191
Has anyone after having time to deliberate with the help of a text book found the, 'perfect' answer for the first question, this seems to be the most confusing for people, maybe in the next few days when you have a lesson with your teacher if they talk to you about it could you post it up here.

I think this would really help some people rest their minds, I have a rough idea but don't have a sociology lesson till next week so I would appreciate it if some of you guys could post this up, thanks.

@s_axo them grade boundaries are very relieving. I hope to god I am can break that A.
The first essay question was 'Explain the reasons, and effects, of the change in family size over the last 100 years' if I am correct, or something along those lines?
Reply 193
Yeah I saved on my phone what I remembered after the exam and it was the same apart from it saying causes instead of reasons, so yeah that's it. It may of been reasons though, either way they mean the same LOL
(edited 12 years ago)
For the 4th Question - Explain the reasons, and effects, of the change in family size over the last 100 years'

Can someone just tell me - For the Essay, are you suppose to right 1 side yes family is getting smaller and no its not opposite side e.g

Yes Family getting smaller
- Expensive childrean
- Low Infant mortality rate etc

Then - No Family is not getting smaller its
- ethnic minorites have bigger family size ?

Do You write one side "Yes" and then "No"

I made a mistake :frown: on my "No" part - i accidently wrote a paragrapgh stating "FOR" ( i just thought of it then :frown: ) and i forgot to draw a arrow showing its suppose to be "FOR" will i get marked down for this ?

Thank You
Reply 195
Original post by helpmekid
For the 4th Question - Explain the reasons, and effects, of the change in family size over the last 100 years'

Can someone just tell me - For the Essay, are you suppose to right 1 side yes family is getting smaller and no its not opposite side e.g

Yes Family getting smaller
- Expensive childrean
- Low Infant mortality rate etc

Then - No Family is not getting smaller its
- ethnic minorites have bigger family size ?

Do You write one side "Yes" and then "No"

I made a mistake :frown: on my "No" part - i accidently wrote a paragrapgh stating "FOR" ( i just thought of it then :frown: ) and i forgot to draw a arrow showing its suppose to be "FOR" will i get marked down for

Thank You

I did something like this too! Hahaa. It'll be fine its just a silly mistake xx
Original post by s_axo
I did something like this too! Hahaa. It'll be fine its just a silly mistake xx

oh thanks for that !!! i thought i might get marked down ! thanks for that looking for a B but i doubt it , ill hope i scape a C

Reply 197
[QUOTE=helpmekid;35825758]oh thanks for that !!! i thought i might get marked down ! thanks for that looking for a B but i doubt it , ill hope i scape a C

To be honest the markers have probably saw all sorts of silly mistakes! Haha. Xx
Reply 198
@helpmekid remember that an A has been 39 for 2010 an 2011, maybe before that not sure. 39 out of 60 isn't too difficult that gives you a leeway of 10 marks out of both of your 24 mark essays along with 1 mark from the easy questions which most people will probably pick full marks up on.
Reply 199
Original post by Sloppy
@helpmekid remember that an A has been 39 for 2010 an 2011, maybe before that not sure. 39 out of 60 isn't too difficult that gives you a leeway of 10 marks out of both of your 24 mark essays along with 1 mark from the easy questions which most people will probably pick full marks up on.

Very true indeed! The highest its ever been is 40 haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending