The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

The 'Ask a current student' thread! (University of Birmingham)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Teshz
Hey! I am also considering of appling for tennis court. Would you be able to give me opinion about the lifestyle/are there or a short summary would be useful :wink:

Im not really concern about the noise makers as i've had some experience of that during my bachelors.

Thanks in advance 😉

I have a few friends that live in Tennis Courts that do really like it - from what I've heard pretty much everyone is friendly and doors between flats are often left propped open but there's a lot of mess. I don't know too much beyond that, apart from the reputation from drinking excessively and having a fair few drug users (by which I mean they probably have the second most after Maple Bank).
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 1181
Original post by classicslily
I have a few friends that live in Tennis Courts that do really like it - from what I've heard pretty much everyone is friendly and doors between flats are often left propped open but there's a lot of mess. I don't know too much beyond that, apart from the reputation from drinking excessively and having a fair few drug users (by which I mean they probably have the second most after Maple Bank).

Thanks for your reply =D

By mess you mean, the place gets REALLY dirty, rubbish everywhere kind?

I studied in the netherlands, so the excessive drinking and couple of drug users aren't new.. haha.
Just firmed for PPE! Now for accommodation..... any advice??
Hi!
What is Birmingham Uni, and the area, like for LGBT people in terms of support and social life? Thanks!
:smile:
What happens if you don't get accommodation? I've put birmingham as my insurance so i'm not guaranteed a room. What happens if i end up going there and do need accommodation?

Thanks
Original post by xswzaq
Lame lame question but lol - it's uni so I know everyone drinks alcohol but are Tennis courts and Shackleton good for drug culture? Assuming Tennis courts would be better but yeahh. I guess same question with smoking as well but not as important bc that doesn't really need to be a group activity loool whereas if ur taking drugs by urself than u have a problem pal:///

SO stuck between Shackleton, Tennis courts and maybe aitken but since it's small I feel like the people opting for that might be quite introverted?? But then again I do like the whole idea of community rather than cliques bc I fcking h8 cliques??? Which I guess leads me to ask how community feel is for the other two, if cliques form/ how big friendship groups are usually ? So many questions haha

(don't judge me on this post I'm yung and dum lkin 4 sum fun xx)

tennis courts is the place to be if you like drugs fam
Hey, I'll be starting A2 in September and I'm thinking of studying English Literature at UOB. I am not the best at analysing poetry nor am I an avid Shakespeare lover. I am also not too sure how I'd feel about working with medieval texts. Am I being delusional about studying to for an English degree? My other interest is history. I'm stuck between the two you see
Hi,
I'm applying in September for chemistry and I would like to know: is the 'applicant day' interview really formal? Are they likely to make you an offer if they have invited you to an applicant day? How important is it in their offer selection process?

Also what are the contact hours like?
Original post by itsaaliyaa
Hey, I'll be starting A2 in September and I'm thinking of studying English Literature at UOB. I am not the best at analysing poetry nor am I an avid Shakespeare lover. I am also not too sure how I'd feel about working with medieval texts. Am I being delusional about studying to for an English degree? My other interest is history. I'm stuck between the two you see

I did both English and history at a-level and I would say that if you don't like Shakespeare or medieval texts DONT DO ENGLISH. Literally you would hate it. I do history and the subject is so broad, it's pretty similar to English in terms of writing essays
Original post by kimmy6336
I did both English and history at a-level and I would say that if you don't like Shakespeare or medieval texts DONT DO ENGLISH. Literally you would hate it. I do history and the subject is so broad, it's pretty similar to English in terms of writing essays

Really? The thing is I'm not sure whether or not I do enjoy or hate it for sure. We're doing both texts this year (A2) so I would get a better idea but we've been told to start writing our personal statements now. What are the pros/cons? Do you have any regrets? etc

EDIT: I'm thinking of doing a joints in eng & his
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi, could anyone tell me what the physics department is like? For example, are there lots of academics compared to other universities? Are there lots of areas currently being researched? And do you have tutorials?

Thank you :smile:
For anyone at the uni can I ask what you think of the city?

For example, things to do (other than clubbing) and what you think of the city in general? I know it can be a bit rough in places but I was just wondering how rough and if there are areas you can avoid it for the most part?

I really loved the campus, which I visited on an open day and just went back to see the city but happened to see a bit of a rougher area and don't know how much of the city is like that- or whether it really matters much as you are at the uni so often anyway?
Hi i wanted to ask some questions about the drama societies. I noticed that there are a few of them and was wondering what the difference between them was and which is recommended (popular). Also what are they like? do beginners go to these? is it serious in the sense that only aspiring actors go these sort of things or is it like casual? would anyone recommend it for a fresher?
thanks.
What is physio like here?X
I'm very keen on bham but I guess this counts as a general question. do med students live in separate halls, or are all the undergrads just together?
Hey there, I know you're flooded with questions but I was wondering, what are the lectures like at Birmingham? Ideally the psychology professors? I've read that a lot of students didn't enjoy there time at Birmingham, so do you have any idea why that may be ? Thanks a lot :smile:
Original post by shania.d.f
I'm very keen on bham but I guess this counts as a general question. do med students live in separate halls, or are all the undergrads just together?

There isn't a specfic accommodation for med students, but Pritchatts appears to be quite popular with medics. I was in Tennis Courts and I know there were quite a few medics in there.
Are there any Psychology students here? What is the course like? Difficulty etc, I'm only in Year 12 now and have chosen Psychology, Biology and English Lit. Are these suitable enough to get in the course?
Also, how much maths is involved in the course, as some people have told me that half of the degree is maths... :frown:
Original post by amberbassi
Are there any Psychology students here? What is the course like? Difficulty etc, I'm only in Year 12 now and have chosen Psychology, Biology and English Lit. Are these suitable enough to get in the course?
Also, how much maths is involved in the course, as some people have told me that half of the degree is maths... :frown:

I dont do psychology or even go to the uni but im sure it should have all this information on their website if you look up the course you want to do!
Thanks I'll have a look :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending