The Student Room Group

Government and Politics Edexcel Exam Question prediction

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I don't think AV will come up, although it's topical the main examiner came into see our school and he pretty much told us to ignore AV as it's not used significantly enough in the UK - apparently it being used in the Lib Dem and Labour leadership elections isn't enough. I expect the referendum on AV will come up, but not the electoral system itself. We were told to focus only on systems which are actually used in the UK, FPTP, AMS, list, STV, SV etc

Also does anyone know what structure we're supposed to use to answer each question? I could do with some clarification D:
Also, in the edexcel syllabus we don't have to learn the rise and decline of pressure groups do we.. to do with globalisation and corporatism?? It hasn't come up in any past papers and isn't in the specification.. just want to double check
Reply 42
Pretty sure all they want to know about is domestic, UK based stuff. That's the impression I got anyway, maybe some examples and things from abroad.
What would you guys write if pressure groups and strengthening democracy came up?
Reply 44
Original post by Mcfly101202
What would you guys write if pressure groups and strengthening democracy came up?

Rise in Pg membership, represent minority views, acts as a release valve for people to air views. Whilst activism in parties has somewhat fallen, Pg activity is on the increase, ie strikes, Iraq war coalition, student fees protest. PGs continually represent, unlike parties during elections. They add to political plurality and can act as a check on government.

However, they are unaccountable and have no mandate. Ultimately British government is party government, PGs usually promote sectional interests thus not the wider public, parties are there for the national interest. Vested interests. It could be argued pressure groups are there for the rich; groups like countryside alliance have far more resources than groups which represent wider society for example children poverty action group. You could also argue within pressure groups, leaders pursue their own ambitions and disregard those of their members. Unlike parties bot everyone can join any pressure group.
Original post by srascal8
Rise in Pg membership, represent minority views, acts as a release valve for people to air views. Whilst activism in parties has somewhat fallen, Pg activity is on the increase, ie strikes, Iraq war coalition, student fees protest. PGs continually represent, unlike parties during elections. They add to political plurality and can act as a check on government.

However, they are unaccountable and have no mandate. Ultimately British government is party government, PGs usually promote sectional interests thus not the wider public, parties are there for the national interest. Vested interests. It could be argued pressure groups are there for the rich; groups like countryside alliance have far more resources than groups which represent wider society for example children poverty action group. You could also argue within pressure groups, leaders pursue their own ambitions and disregard those of their members. Unlike parties bot everyone can join any pressure group.

Awesome thanks :smile:
Hows everyones revision going for elections? (i have no intention of revising parties and policies) i have all the data i neeed for elections but am worried i've missed something.
Reply 46
For elections I'm just going to make sure I know all the systems and examples for each one then I think I should be all right from there.
Reply 47
Retaking this tomorrow, kind of nervous.

I've gone over most of the stuff except party policies, and I know I'm most confident on voting systems and pressure groups.
Hope to God there's a question about them...
Reply 48
If the elections section ends up being about referendums and not the systems:
Reply 49
Original post by jamie_jca
If the elections section ends up being about referendums and not the systems:

That couldn't happen, surely?

I think elections may be the effects of different systems for party representation and govt. I.e FPTP is likely to result in 2 party system, few seats for small parties, single party govt. focus on 100 marginal seats. SV, likely the same due to the majoritarian aspect, may improve representation for a third party however implications could be worse for small parties than they already were at FPTP. List and STV would likely result in multi-member constituencies. etc. etc.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 50
I hope liberal democracy does NOT come up... if it does i'm screwed
Reply 51
That couldn't happen, surely?

Got a pack of all the past papers. It's a tiny possibility. :confused:
Reply 52
argg , it's one of those ones that i didn't anticipate and now I'm here doing last minute revision on prep for a 25 marker :/ ....... i have a feeling it might come up as well...:/
Reply 53
Anyone got any last minute ideas about Pressure group or Election questions.

This is the elections question I did as a mock and got 83% on.

a) Distinguish between a mandate and a manifesto (5) 4 out of 5

The mandate of a party refers to the political power the winning party to carry out their manifesto, and has authority to use judgement to deal with unforeseen circumstances (doctors mandate). Whereas the manifesto is the statement a political party releases at election times stating which and what policies it intends to implement if it gains power.

b) Explain workings of three electoral systems used in the UK. (10) 8 out of 10

Single member plurality system or First past the post as it is commonly known is the system in place in England as in Westminster. Under this system the country is divided into 650 constituencies, with each one holding its own election. The candidate with the largest number of votes (plurality) wins the seat. The party with at least fifty percent of the seats is then invited by the monarch to form a government.

Regional list system is used in the UK for elections to the European parliament. The kingdom is divided into 11 regional areas. In each region a number of seats are contested. Parties put up a list of candidates, one for everyone of the seats and the percentage of votes won determines the percentage candidates are elected in an area.

Additional member system is used in Wales and Scotland. Under this system there are two elections, one under first past the post (FPTP) and a second supplementary one using a regional list system. The supplementary MSP’s/MWA’s top up the parliament making it more representational.

c) Should the Westminster electoral system be reformed? (25) 23 out of 25

The Westminster electoral system includes the house of commons which is elected and the house of lords, (unelected), the electoral system used is FPTP. The disadvantages of using a system such as FPTP is that it the representation is disproportional. Large parties such as labour and conservatives are over represented, while smaller parties such as liberal democrats/greens/UKIP are underrepresented. Conservatives got nearly 11m votes and 307 seats whereas Liberal Democrats got 7m votes but only 57 seats. Another disadvantage is that if the majority in power is large enough they can force through legislation that might be ill thought out, and impossible to implement, a good example of this would be the Hunting With Dogs act of 2004.

In contrast a better system would be something like the regional list system which is gives a much fairer result. Under this system all the votes count, unlike in FPTP where minority votes are wasted. Smaller parties such as greens/UKIP/BNP get representation. This means that there is never a case of electoral dictatorship as the larger parties are not able to dominate the politics in the same way. Also governments formed would be created with a true majority of votes, rather than an overrepresented majority.

However there are some advantages of keeping the current (FPTP) system. Under FPTP, local representation is guaranteed. Each mp represents a local community, thus giving local parties autonomy in selecting the right candidate for the area. Also voting for candidates rather than parties allows for subtlety between candidate and party, for example in Brighton having the more socially liberal conservative Simon Hewitt. Also the system is well established in the UK and has therefore acquired traditional authority, and the UK as a whole is conservative in regards to change, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it, would fit well here.

The disadvantages of using a system as proportional as regional list system means that extremist parties do get a seat in the parliament, such as the BNP who gained six seats in the European elections. Also there is no local autonomy, as voters vote for a party not a particular candidate. Local parties loose power to national party structure as it is HQ that draws up the list, disregarding locally sensitive MP’s, and using yes-men instead.

In conclusion I believe that there is not a case for reforming the Westminster electoral system. I would say that the benefits of changing to a system such as regional list do not outweigh the negatives incurred with FPTP. The traditional simplicity of the current system is not overshadowed by the merits of a more proportional system.

<3 x
(edited 12 years ago)
Still need to learn strengthening and weakening of democracy from pressure groups, for and againsts of representative democracy and for and against of compulsory democracy then i'm pretty much done!

Democracy - a) outline the key features of a referendum and b) apart from referendums, explain three ways in which democracy in the UK could be improved?

PGs - a) Using examples, distinguish between promotional and sectional pressure groups.

b) how and why do pressure groups seek to influence public opinion?

- What a great prediction ! I thought something similar.
Reply 56
Original post by LETSJaM
Anyone got any last minute ideas about Pressure group or Election questions.

This is the elections question I did as a mock and got 83% on.

a) Distinguish between a mandate and a manifesto (5) 4 out of 5

The mandate of a party refers to the political power the winning party to carry out their manifesto, and has authority to use judgement to deal with unforeseen circumstances (doctors mandate). Whereas the manifesto is the statement a political party releases at election times stating which and what policies it intends to implement if it gains power.

b) Explain workings of three electoral systems used in the UK. (10) 8 out of 10

Single member plurality system or First past the post as it is commonly known is the system in place in England as in Westminster. Under this system the country is divided into 650 constituencies, with each one holding its own election. The candidate with the largest number of votes (plurality) wins the seat. The party with at least fifty percent of the seats is then invited by the monarch to form a government.

Regional list system is used in the UK for elections to the European parliament. The kingdom is divided into 11 regional areas. In each region a number of seats are contested. Parties put up a list of candidates, one for everyone of the seats and the percentage of votes won determines the percentage candidates are elected in an area.

Additional member system is used in Wales and Scotland. Under this system there are two elections, one under first past the post (FPTP) and a second supplementary one using a regional list system. The supplementary MSP’s/MWA’s top up the parliament making it more representational.

c) Should the Westminster electoral system be reformed? (25) 23 out of 25

The Westminster electoral system includes the house of commons which is elected and the house of lords, (unelected), the electoral system used is FPTP. The disadvantages of using a system such as FPTP is that it the representation is disproportional. Large parties such as labour and conservatives are over represented, while smaller parties such as liberal democrats/greens/UKIP are underrepresented. Conservatives got nearly 11m votes and 307 seats whereas Liberal Democrats got 7m votes but only 57 seats. Another disadvantage is that if the majority in power is large enough they can force through legislation that might be ill thought out, and impossible to implement, a good example of this would be the Hunting With Dogs act of 2004.

In contrast a better system would be something like the regional list system which is gives a much fairer result. Under this system all the votes count, unlike in FPTP where minority votes are wasted. Smaller parties such as greens/UKIP/BNP get representation. This means that there is never a case of electoral dictatorship as the larger parties are not able to dominate the politics in the same way. Also governments formed would be created with a true majority of votes, rather than an overrepresented majority.

However there are some advantages of keeping the current (FPTP) system. Under FPTP, local representation is guaranteed. Each mp represents a local community, thus giving local parties autonomy in selecting the right candidate for the area. Also voting for candidates rather than parties allows for subtlety between candidate and party, for example in Brighton having the more socially liberal conservative Simon Hewitt. Also the system is well established in the UK and has therefore acquired traditional authority, and the UK as a whole is conservative in regards to change, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it, would fit well here.

The disadvantages of using a system as proportional as regional list system means that extremist parties do get a seat in the parliament, such as the BNP who gained six seats in the European elections. Also there is no local autonomy, as voters vote for a party not a particular candidate. Local parties loose power to national party structure as it is HQ that draws up the list, disregarding locally sensitive MP’s, and using yes-men instead.

In conclusion I believe that there is not a case for reforming the Westminster electoral system. I would say that the benefits of changing to a system such as regional list do not outweigh the negatives incurred with FPTP. The traditional simplicity of the current system is not overshadowed by the merits of a more proportional system.

<3 x

83%? No disrespect but your 25 marker seems a little short....
Last minute revision is a nightmare ! Especially, when you realize you have missed loads !!

Does anyone have an idea of how to answer something on Liberal democracy as a 25 mark ?????
Original post by PrecieuxAaliyah

Last minute revision is a nightmare ! Especially, when you realize you have missed loads !!

Does anyone have an idea of how to answer something on Liberal democracy as a 25 mark ?????

Go to the first page, theres an essay there x

- What a great prediction ! I thought something similar.

This isn't a prediction, it's from june 2011 I think

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending