The Student Room Group

Maastricht Applicants 2012?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
"You need to have had a 32 hour a month job for three months before you can claim the grant. It is not backdated so you will need to budget accordingly. You can apply for the grant before you have completed three months of work and assuming there has been no change in your situation, your grant will be paid immediately upon completion of the three month period."

There you go :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by jhenryg
"You need to have had a 32 hour a month job for three months before you can claim the grant. It is not backdated so you will need to budget accordingly. You can apply for the grant before you have completed three months of work and assuming there has been no change in your situation, your grant will be paid immediately upon completion of the three month period."

There you go :smile:

If your employer can validate that you have a contract & will be working for more than 32 hours per month for 3 months then you can get it straight away :smile: ...but I doubt many would do that TBH :/, so chances are we're going to have to be employed for 3 months before applying for that one.
Have you looked at the forms on the DUO/IB-groep website, I've had a quick look & one form for EU student seems to be entirely in Dutch :s-smilie: ...google translator will be my best friend I suspect!
Reply 382
Original post by LPickering
If your employer can validate that you have a contract & will be working for more than 32 hours per month for 3 months then you can get it straight away :smile: ...but I doubt many would do that TBH :/, so chances are we're going to have to be employed for 3 months before applying for that one.
Have you looked at the forms on the DUO/IB-groep website, I've had a quick look & one form for EU student seems to be entirely in Dutch :s-smilie: ...google translator will be my best friend I suspect!

I'm going to start working and then when it gets to the time I need to apply, get one of the new Dutch friends I have made to translate for me :tongue:

Original post by Pineappledogs
Wow your going there July 20th..... that is sooo early, i wasn't going to fly out there until like mid august after i have my results. I thought about driving over but it's going to be more expensive than paying for flights with extra baggage allowance (because of how expensive gas has gotten here and across Europe)...but then again i doubt that extra baggae allowance will accoutnf ro the amount of stuff I'm about to introduce to maastricht :tongue: and im kinda worried that airport security will take stuff from me.....i really need my liquids :/ and that i will have to go through those scanners that show you naked to see if your carring anything dangerous :eek:

hehe i don't mind if my mom comes, i think she just wants to come to feel more involved...but yea imma email Maastricht to find out more.

I know it's super early but I'm only going over then because I want to be prepared & avoid all the last minute panic of having to arrange everything! I think my parents want to drive me (more than I need them to drive me) purely so they know I'm getting there in one piece haha! ...my mum totally under estimates me I swear! ...be glad your mum takes an interest because mine tries but forgets/doesn't understand half the stuff I tell her :rolleyes:
I'm flying solo back for my results (will prob end up being searched I always manage to be handpicked, even though I don't look threatening at all), & I'll be spending a week at home, then returning with my results in hand (Y) :smile:

Whereabouts in the UK are you from? (If you don't mind me asking)
Original post by jhenryg
I'm going to start working and then when it gets to the time I need to apply, get one of the new Dutch friends I have made to translate for me :tongue:

Haha good plan (Y), I'll probably drag some random Dutch person off the street & get them to help :biggrin:. Just need to hope that jobs are relatively easy to find, I don't really fancy being stuck with nothing for months on end! :s-smilie: One of the reasons I'm going across a little earlier is so there will be less competition for jobs.
Reply 385
Haha good plan (Y), I'll probably drag some random Dutch person off the street & get them to help :biggrin:. Just need to hope that jobs are relatively easy to find, I don't really fancy being stuck with nothing for months on end! :s-smilie: One of the reasons I'm going across a little earlier is so there will be less competition for jobs.

When I went over last week every shop/restaurant had jobs on offer in the window :smile:

I'm from Oxfordshire btw, you?

Is anybody in the know about health insurance?
As far as I know you take out health insurance once (if) you start working, you don't need it just for studying, as long as you have EHIC ...is this right? :confused:
Reply 387
As far as I know you take out health insurance once (if) you start working, you don't need it just for studying, as long as you have EHIC ...is this right? :confused:

As soon as you start working the EHIC stops applying to you and so you need to take out some form of health insurance, if you don't work at all EHIC is fine

Original post by jhenryg
As soon as you start working the EHIC stops applying to you and so you need to take out some form of health insurance, if you don't work at all EHIC is fine

Ok thank you! :smile:
Original post by jhenryg
When I went over last week every shop/restaurant had jobs on offer in the window :smile:

I'm from Oxfordshire btw, you?

Hopefully will be straight forward then, I have heard it's easier for English speakers to find a job in Maastricht than it is in bigger cities like Utrecht or Groningen.

I'm from Derbyshire :smile:
Reply 390
Hopefully will be straight forward then, I have heard it's easier for English speakers to find a job in Maastricht than it is in bigger cities like Utrecht or Groningen.

I'm from Derbyshire :smile:

There are lots of little shops and loads of cafes so I'm assuming it won't be so hard :smile: (I hope)

I was saying to pineapple all us English people should grab a drink when we're over there :smile:

Original post by jhenryg
There are lots of little shops and loads of cafes so I'm assuming it won't be so hard :smile: (I hope)

I was saying to pineapple all us English people should grab a drink when we're over there :smile:

Yeah that's a great idea! I think the UK students currently over there do a UK drinks evening every now & again (or so I've heard), although I have no idea when the first one will be. It may be after term has commenced, so I guess us newbies could arrange our own sometime in August, before Inkom maybe :smile:.
Reply 392
Yeah that's a great idea! I think the UK students currently over there do a UK drinks evening every now & again (or so I've heard), although I have no idea when the first one will be. It may be after term has commenced, so I guess us newbies could arrange our own sometime in August, before Inkom maybe :smile:.

Well you'll be the one showing us where to go seeing as you're out there so early! :tongue:

Original post by jhenryg
Well you'll be the one showing us where to go seeing as you're out there so early! :tongue:

Yep :smile: ...well hopefully I will have passed the "constantly getting lost" phase & be able to navigate myself well ...the market square is quite a notable place though that I reckon will be an easy go to place if I do get lost :biggrin:!

Where in Maastricht are you looking to move to, the centre or near to the train station? (to the left or right of the river ...if the makes any sense to you!)
Reply 394
Yep :smile: ...well hopefully I will have passed the "constantly getting lost" phase & be able to navigate myself well ...the market square is quite a notable place though that I reckon will be an easy go to place if I do get lost :biggrin:!

Where in Maastricht are you looking to move to, the centre or near to the train station? (to the left or right of the river ...if the makes any sense to you!)

I've got accommodation of the left side of the river :smile: its next to a place called the basin :smile: I posted a link earlier in the post, you?

Reply 395
Sorry for interrupting the convo you guys are having haha. I've applied for European Law. What have you applied for?

Did you apply for housing at the Maastricht housing site or from another site?

Also, for travelling are you flying England to Amsterdam then a train to Maastricht or flying to Brussels and then a train to Maastricht?
Reply 396
Original post by shrug
Sorry for interrupting the convo you guys are having haha. I've applied for European Law. What have you applied for?

Did you apply for housing at the Maastricht housing site or from another site?

Also, for travelling are you flying England to Amsterdam then a train to Maastricht or flying to Brussels and then a train to Maastricht?

Hey there :smile: welcome haha...

I personally applied at the Maastricht housing site as I wanted something guaranteed legit as the UM guesthouse houses are uni run.

My dads going to drive me out with all my stuff and drop me off (doesn't work out much more than train or flying)

Hope this helps :smile:

yea you pay for dutch health insurance only when you are working because EHIC becomes invalid. Butttt im sure without working EHIC will still be valid for studying :smile:
Original post by jhenryg
I've got accommodation of the left side of the river :smile: its next to a place called the basin :smile: I posted a link earlier in the post, you?

Oh yeah I remember (Y).
I'm still searching :s-smilie:, it's turning out to be a pain because I would prefer something in the centre which is walking distance to my faculty -obviously most people want that (bar maybe the medical students & others who have a faculty near the train station). The subsciption process on Maastricht housing is annoying, but I've got a month or so to find somewhere which I will do ...eventually! :rolleyes:
Reply 399
Oh yeah I remember (Y).
I'm still searching :s-smilie:, it's turning out to be a pain because I would prefer something in the centre which is walking distance to my faculty -obviously most people want that (bar maybe the medical students & others who have a faculty near the train station). The subsciption process on Maastricht housing is annoying, but I've got a month or so to find somewhere which I will do ...eventually! :rolleyes:

The street I'm in is easily walk able in 5 minutes, I did it last week :tongue: I think its one of the closest UM Guesthouses

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending