The Student Room Group

PCMD splitting into 1 dental and 2 seperate medical schools.

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/students/news/title_174107_en.html

Thought it might be of interest to prospective applicants.
Original post by *Ria-L*
http://www.exeter.ac.uk/students/news/title_174107_en.html

Thought it might be of interest to prospective applicants.

So are there actually more places up for grabs with this new arrangement?
Reply 2
The first ex-poly with its own medical school. Interesting. Wonder what the snobs will say :beard:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by thegodofgod

I dont think so, the article starts off as ''With an equitable split of total student numbers..... '' (Is that a split of the current total I wonder ... not that I'm bothered, I'm more interested in what's happening to the dental school).
Plymouth university - hmm. not to be snobby - just not a name i associate with having a medical school. Why not just keep the Exeter name and have one large one. interesting.
Reply 5
Original post by Democracy
The first ex-poly with its own medical school. Interesting. Wonder what the snobs will say :beard:

The University of Central Lancashire has it's own dental school. What is the world coming to!

I'm joking btw :smile:
Reply 6
Had this question for a while - maybe somebody here could answer it

What gives a university the right/go-ahead to teach medicine? Is it like a governing body which dictate the amount of doctors that should graduate each year. And if the need arises - do they tell a non-medical university to establish a medical school in the future?
Original post by fallenangel
Had this question for a while - maybe somebody here could answer it

What gives a university the right/go-ahead to teach medicine? Is it like a governing body which dictate the amount of doctors that should graduate each year. And if the need arises - do they tell a non-medical university to establish a medical school in the future?

The GMC are responsible for regulating medical education throughout the UK. It used to lie with the Postgraduate Medical Education & Training Board but this was merged with the GMC a few years ago. They are responsible for setting the medical education curriculum throughout the UK (based on Tomorrows Doctor) and deciding who can teach it! They also keep tabs on all the medical school and check standards.
This is very interesting, thanks for sharing this with us. I think this is great, the peninsula medical school has really grown and impressed nationally. I am starting in exeter as an F1 in July and i have been nothing but impressed by the foundation school there, and from what ive heard about the medical school. I think this is a logical step for the medical school to take due to its popularity and growth. I will be interested to see if this goes ahead and which school shines most
Reply 9

Let's hope not!
Original post by lekky
Let's hope not!

Why? :confused:

Due to fewer F1 places than graduating medical students?
Reply 11

Too many medical school places as it is, it creates a bottle neck, trying to get places down not up! Scotland reducing by 5% this year and hopefully more reductions to come.
Reply 12

It also means that the teaching gets worse - sausage factory-esq
Reply 13
Original post by Carpediemxx
I think this is a logical step for the medical school to take due to its popularity and growth.

Peninsula has one of the lowest application to offer ratios (albeit still 9 applicants per place!). By what measure are you saying it is 'popular'?
Reply 14
Original post by Carpediemxx
I think this is a logical step for the medical school to take due to its popularity and growth.

Peninsula has one of the lowest application to offer ratios. By what measure are you saying it is 'popular'? Places like Keele have been hugely popular relative to Peninsula.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending