The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Thinking of applying to the OU - Need some advice please!

Hi,

I'm thinking of applying to the OU, but I have some questions about it which hopefully someone here can help me with.

A bit of background on me - I just turned 42. About 7 years ago I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and I currently live on income support and disability living allowance. I was a mature student studying for a degree in computing science at Staffordshire University when I first fell ill, but I had to drop out due to ill health. I was awarded a certificate of higher education from there. I have about £5,000 in outstanding student loans, but I'm not currently paying anything towards them as my income is below the level where you have to make payments.

Here's my questions: -

1. My main question is about finance. I emailed the OU and I also spoke to them this morning on the phone, but they couldn't give me any idea of how much it would cost for me to study there. They said I would just have to apply. I want to get on a course before the fees rise substantially in September 2012, so can anyone give me any idea how much my studies would cost? Just a rough ball park figure would be very helpful. Also, I was told that I may not be able to get financial support due to having outstanding student loans. Has anyone gone through a similar thing and is able to comment on this? Would studying at the OU affect my benefits?

2. I believe that I can use my certificate of higher education to count towards a degree from the OU, but as I was studying computing science when I was awarded that certificate, does that mean that I have to study a computing related to degree at the OU if I want the certificate to count for something? Or could I study something else and still have it count? I have emailed the relevant OU department about this, but I'm still waiting to hear back.

3. How long does it take to study for a degree at the OU? As I am currently not working due to ill health, I could devote a lot of time to the course.

If anyone has gone through a similar situation, i.e. being a potential mature student while sick and on a low income - any advice or help you could give me would be great.

I did email the OU and the response was helpful, but I phoned them this morning (and was on hold for nearly 45 minutes before getting through) and didn't really come away any the wiser as I haven't got a clue how much it would cost to study there.

Many thanks!

Steve.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by funksoul

2. I believe that I can use my certificate of higher education to count towards a degree from the OU, but as I was studying computing science when I was awarded that certificate, does that mean that I have to study a computing related to degree at the OU if I want the certificate to count for something? Or could I study something else and still have it count? I have emailed the relevant OU department about this, but I'm still waiting to hear back.

There's information on credit transfer here. As I understand it, the most flexible option would be to do the Open Degree, because then it doesn't much matter what subject(s) your previous study covered, it can generally be counted towards your degree anyway. That said, you might find that for some Level 2 and 3 modules you'd need to have done something relevant at Level 1 first. Also, I'm not sure whether you'd need to do one of the compulsory Level 1 60-point modules.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply, Persipan.

I guess I'm just feeling a bit overwhelmed, as I don't really know what my options are nor how much it will cost and I'm having trouble getting answers from the OU.

When I phoned up this morning, the conversation went something like this: -

"How much would it cost for me to study a degree at the OU?"
"It depends what you do."
"What if I did a computing degree?"
"It depends which one and how many modules you do per year."
"So how much would it be per module, for example?"
"It depends which ones you do."
"Can you give me a rough idea?"
"You would just have to apply on the website."

And I came away none the wiser.
Reply 3
Thanks for the reply, Persipan.

I guess I'm just feeling a bit overwhelmed, as I don't really know what my options are nor how much it will cost and I'm having trouble getting answers from the OU.

When I phoned up this morning, the conversation went something like this: -

"How much would it cost for me to study a degree at the OU?"
"It depends what you do."
"What if I did a computing degree?"
"It depends which one and how many modules you do per year."
"So how much would it be per module, for example?"
"It depends which ones you do."
"Can you give me a rough idea?"
"You would just have to apply on the website."

And I came away none the wiser.

lol.. that went well.

To be fair, it is quite a complex thing.

If you get in at the current fees, expect about 750 per 60 points, with 120 points making up one year, and 360 making up the full degree. Variations on this include:

1. Residential schools
2. lower point value compusories tend to push the cost per point up
3. If you do 360 points, or more than 360 points

Realistically, an estimate would be about 5500 +-750 for the entire degree. The exception is law, where you can expect more than double that.

Also, OU study will not affect your benefits because OU study is classed as part time, even if you're doing full time hours. I had to stay with my neighbour while she was being reassessed for DLA. She also studies with the OU, and the person visiting went so far as to look through her books and hold a conversation about it. Nothing to worry about there.

I can't comment on your student loan issue and whether that will affect your support.

Time wise, devote about 36 hours per week and you'll be done in 3 years with 120 points per year. I would advise to start with either 60 or 90 points for the first year to get back in to studying, meaning you'll take somewhere between three and four years.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
A current student would expect to pay £5,500-6000 to complete a degree. Some degrees such as law (with its £2k plus modules) and business studies cost more than that.

OU degrees are considered part time qualifications even if you do full time equivalent study so they don't affect benefits etc. Most people take 4-6 years to do a named degree. Open degree students can take as long as they wish. In fact all current students who wish to keep paying the lower fees must get their degrees done by 2017.

But yes your outstanding loan could be a problem if you're looking for a subsidy to start now or a further loan if you were to sign up for an autumn start. I think you're only allowed to have one loan or continuous period of subsidy for higher education.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Not much to add to previous good advice, but I wanted to offer some encouragement. You should get full transfer credit but probably not for a specific degree, as already mentioned. I think there might be a time limit for credit transfer as well, so do investigate.

Don't worry about getting an Open (unnamed) degree - I did, as I was in the same boat as you, with transfer credit. I still got on to a good Masters program (gave them a full transcript with course descriptions), and now I'm doing a PhD at King's, so I know the OU, and the Open degree, is well regarded.

Don't give up - you can do it.
Reply 6
Original post by jennym
Not much to add to previous good advice, but I wanted to offer some encouragement. You should get full transfer credit but probably not for a specific degree, as already mentioned. I think there might be a time limit for credit transfer as well, so do investigate.

Don't worry about getting an Open (unnamed) degree - I did, as I was in the same boat as you, with transfer credit. I still got on to a good Masters program (gave them a full transcript with course descriptions), and now I'm doing a PhD at King's, so I know the OU, and the Open degree, is well regarded.

Don't give up - you can do it.

This post ought to be a sticky Jenny for all those who keep asking how far can you get after completing an OU (especially an Open) degree. Just goes to show. I see from your profile that you did computing and statistics and are now doing statistical genetics. Did you do some biology modules for that?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Thanks so much for the responses! The info here, combined with a PM that somebody sent has made things much, much clearer.

Now I just need to choose a degree and get my application in, although that in itself is another problem as even though I'm 42, I've never really known exactly what I want to do and I've never really had a job where I've felt "yeah, this is for me". Haha. I'm sure I'm not alone there though, but anyway, thanks again for all of the advice. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Thanks so much for the responses! The info here, combined with a PM that somebody sent has made thinks much, much clearer.

Now I just need to choose a degree and get my application in, although that in itself is another problem as even though I'm 42, I've never really known exactly what I want to do and I've never really had a job where I've felt "yeah, this is for me". Haha. I'm sure I'm not alone there though, but anyway, thanks again for all of the advice. :smile:

My advice if you are unsure exactly what you want to do is to choose one module that interests you and see where you go from there. I started by doing one 30 point module 4 years ago and I had no idea what else I wanted to study or whether I was clever enough to complete a degree. I am just about to start my final module in my honours degree and should complete it later this year. You don't have to select all your modules at the beginning or commit to a certain degree at this stage. You can always change what degree you are going for part way through studying.

Good luck with your decisions.
Reply 9
In terms of financial support, the eligibility checker might give you some useful info. (That's looking at if you start something during 2011/12.)

As I understand things, in order to stay under the current fee arrangements, as opposed to the higher fees from 2012, you'd need to start a module this academic year and link it to the qualification you're aiming for. There are some modules with March/May/June start dates, so I think this is theoretically possible - again, it might be easier if you wanted to do the Open Degree, because you should be able to count more or less anything towards it, whereas if you're looking to do a named degree you may be more restricted in what modules would count towards it. AnnB's suggestion of picking something you're interested in and seeing where it takes you sounds good to me.
Reply 10
Nitebot - I got on to the PhD programme with just my stats & computing background - I'm learning a bit of genetics as I go along, and by attending some undergrad courses (as an observer). I would never go near a lab though - I'm strictly an "in silico" researcher!

Funksoul - I would definitely get myself on a module ASAP before fees go up. Many (but not all) of the named degrees have a small amount of 'free choice' so even if you do end up going for a named degree, you could still count an unrelated module towards your final degree as part of the free choice credit. There are lots of 10-point modules available now especially for undecided people like yourself - maybe you could sign up for a couple of those in different potential areas of interest and see what you like best!

Do let us know how you get on, I'd love to know what modules you decide on.
Reply 11
Thanks again for the advice folks!

I was looking at perhaps doing a course like this: -

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/qualification/b67.htm

Only it says: -

Registration is not yet open for this qualification. For an autumn 2012 start, registration opens on 27 March 2012. If you would like to register your interest, you can order our free guide to studying in 2012.

Can I register for a module now that would allow me to do the above degree, so that I can avoid the price hike in Autumn?
Reply 12
You'll have to start a module that counts towards your degree BEFORE September 2012 - registering isn't enough. But you do not have to register for the COURSE (e.g. BSc Computing) in order to start taking a module that contributes to that course. Once the course registration is available then you can register for that and link your current module to that course.

It's particularly tricky at the moment as they seem to have removed all the lists of modules that relate to all the degrees :-/ Try downloading the 2012/2013 prospectus from here:

http://css2.open.ac.uk/outis/1a/O1AProspChoice.asp?CATCODE=CIT

and see if there's a list of modules for your degree of interest. If so, try to find a level 1 course with a start date before September, and start with that ASAP. You'll probably also want to register for the degree as soon as it's available as well, just so it's clear you've started everything before the dreaded fee increase date :-)

Of course, I am not an OU/finance advisor, this is just how I think it works from what I've seen, so please do check for yourself - and get confirmation from the OU if you can!
Reply 13
The A-Z here is the best bet and it lists all modules and start dates.
http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/atoz/allcourses.htm
Reply 14
Original post by Nitebot
The A-Z here is the best bet and it lists all modules and start dates.
http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/atoz/allcourses.htm

Just to add to this, bear in mind also that some of the modules have more than one start date still to come this academic year, so some modules listed as February (for which the registration date has already passed) also have a further start still to come, and some of the March ones also start in June, for example.
Reply 15
OK, having had a dig around in the prospectus and cross-compared everything, I think this is what's what...

For the Computing & IT bits:

The core Level 1 module you need to do is TU100 My digital life, which has a February start but registration for it has already ended and it isn't on again 'til October. Because you've got a background in studying computing, you could maybe think about doing a relevant Level 2 module, if any of them are available at the relevant dates, but that might be a rather in-at-the-deep-end way of returning to study. So, looking at the subjects you could combine it with...

- and Business

B120 Introduction to business studies - May, compulsory module for this programme
B122 Introduction to retail management and marketing - May, optional module
DB123 You and your money: personal finance in context - May, optional module

- and Design

I know there is a February start for the Level 1 design element of this (U101 Design thinking: creativity for the 21st century) 'cos I'm doing it, but the registration date has passed for it, so unless there's space on the module and you could persuade them to let you register late, that isn't really going to work.

- and Mathematics
- and Statistics

MST121 Using mathematics had a January start and doesn't have another one 'til October, so that's no go.

- and Psychology

DSE141 Discovering Psychology - May

So, you've got some options, depending on what you wanted to do for your second subject...

(And I second everything jennym said.)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
Yes and another problem Persipan is that popular core courses such as TU100 and MST121 already have people who missed out on the Feb start waiting for the October start. I can see some courses being hard to get on to in the future as it will take time to recruit more tutors and train them up in the OU way.
Reply 17
Original post by Nitebot
Yes and another problem Persipan is that popular core courses such as TU100 and MST121 already have people who missed out on the Feb start waiting for the October start. I can see some courses being hard to get on to in the future as it will take time to recruit more tutors and train them up in the OU way.

Yep. And the particularly tricky thing for funksoul is that if he wants to do a 'Computing and Whatever' degree, then a) it doesn't have the free choice element that single-subject programmes have, because of the need to fit in a decent chunk of each of the two subjects, and b) in order to cover the two subjects, they draw very heavily on the key, core modules which are compulsory for lots of other programmes, too, and so are likely to be popular (and therefore, potentially, full).

One other thought, funksoul - if what you're wanting to do is a Computing-and-something-you-can't-do-a-module-in-before-September programme then, without wishing to keep harping on about the Open Degree, it would potentially give you the opportunity to get your foot in the door by studying one random module of whatever strikes your fancy from what's available now (and linking it to the degree) and then, for your future modules, just concentrating on Computing and whichever subject it is you're interested in. OK, it makes a difference to what your degree is called, but in terms of your study overall it wouldn't actually make much odds.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
Yes after reading about Jennym and her PhD, no-one should fear doing an Open degree.
Reply 19
I highly recommend it :-) It's nice to have a bit of flexibility, although choosing a sensible selection of modules with a theme that's useful to you is important, of course. As Persipan mentioned, you could probably sign up for an Open degree and actually do most of the modules in the named degree anyway - and skip some of the lower-level prerequisites if you're confident you don't need them.

It might be worth checking if your previous study will exempt you from any specified modules on your degree of interest. I don't think they do this very often (you normally just count it as free credit), but it might be worth asking (I didn't bother, just went for the Open degree).

Quick Reply

Latest