The Student Room Group

Any way to get a grant? Parents earn over amount

Hi guys,
Half way through my second year at uni and I'm struggling. My parents earn over the amount that entitles you to a grant, so I get the bare minimum maintenance loan. I work every saturday and sunday without fail and my parents are doing everything they can to support me but I am constantly falling further in the negatives.

I am literally only spending my money on living costs but it is the rent thats killing my bank account. I would work more but my degree is quite hardcore so I am facing a difficult decision.

Is there anything available that I might be entitled too?

Thanks guys
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Unfortunately I'm sure all grants (unless they are special circumstances such as disability) are income-assessed.

I've heard of Universities perhaps helping to subsidise living costs if you are on hard times, or they offer loans of some sort.

I can't say there is much out there unfortunately if you fall in the over threshold/can't afford to support catagory =/
Reply 2
Do you know if I am able to open another student account with a student overdraft? Im with barclays at the moment.
Thanks you for your help
Original post by DoggyPoggy
Do you know if I am able to open another student account with a student overdraft? Im with barclays at the moment.
Thanks you for your help

You're not supposed to but some people do. As long as both of the accounts you open don't prohibit opening another account then you're fine. It's not a great idea so only use it as a last resort.
Reply 4
Original post by DoggyPoggy
and of course with higher income generally comes higher mortgage etc.

? I don't understand this.

Can your parents lower their mortgage repayments in order to support you and your two brothers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending