The Student Room Group

Childcare grant threshold

Hello,
Please may I ask whether the household income threshold for the Childcare Grant includes income from a grant? My husband is the full-time student (receiving a grant from his future employer rather than Student Finance), and we have 2 toddlers requiring childcare while I work 2 days a week.I earn around £12000 a year from my part-time work, and his untaxed grant is around £26,000. Thank you
Original post by Mummyet
Hello,
Please may I ask whether the household income threshold for the Childcare Grant includes income from a grant? My husband is the full-time student (receiving a grant from his future employer rather than Student Finance), and we have 2 toddlers requiring childcare while I work 2 days a week.I earn around £12000 a year from my part-time work, and his untaxed grant is around £26,000. Thank you

Hi, we don't need to know about your(the student) earned income, only your husbands.

The max threshold is £27,131.39 for 2 children.

To receive the maximum amount of childcare funding which is £16,013.40, your household income must be below £11,118.

If it's between the 11k-27k then you will be awarded less funding depending on how close your income is to the 27k threshold.
Thanks, Isaac
The threshold seems to mean nothing. My friend who has two children and a partner declared earnings as £33000 and gets the full childcare grant, my household earnings are less than that and I don’t get the childcare grant and have to use my full maintenance loan to pay for childcare. Absolutely ridiculous system
Original post by Laura mc caul
The threshold seems to mean nothing. My friend who has two children and a partner declared earnings as £33000 and gets the full childcare grant, my household earnings are less than that and I don’t get the childcare grant and have to use my full maintenance loan to pay for childcare. Absolutely ridiculous system

I assure you that if your friend is receiving the full childcare grant from ourselves then she has not declared a household income of 33k.

It's impossible to be awarded if the household income is over the threshold.

Thanks, Isaac
Hello Could I please ask what is the household threshold for the academic year 22/23 for childcare grants please
Original post by Kayleigh29
Hello Could I please ask what is the household threshold for the academic year 22/23 for childcare grants please

Hi Kayleigh,

The maximum threshold for CCG for 2 children for the 22/23 academic year is £27,499.55.

Regards, Duncan
Reply 6
Hi, could I confirm what the CCG threshold for 1 child is for the 22/23 academic year please?Is this the same for Wales?Many thanks
Hi Kayleigh,

The maximum threshold for CCG for 1 child for the 22/23 academic year is £19,281.99. For advice on Welsh funding you would need to contact them directly on 0300 200 4050 and they'll be able to confirm. Thanks, Jason
Reply 8
Does anyone know what the childcare grant entitlement would be based on a £13000 household income? Thanks
Original post by J0411
Does anyone know what the childcare grant entitlement would be based on a £13000 household income? Thanks

Hello,

The Household income thresholds are as follows for 2022/23:
Parents' Learning Allowance - £14,910 (max support) - £18,635.98 (min support)
Adult Dependant's Grant - £8,746 (max support) - £15,271.98 (min support)
Childcare (1 child) - £9,727 (max support) - £19,281.99 (min support)
Childcare (2 children) - £11,118 (max support) - £27,499.55 (min support)

Household income over the minimum support figure means no support.

Thanks, Lynsey.
Thanks Lynsey,Is there a webpage where I can find this information? This is the only place I've been able to find it.Thanks,Leo
Original post by LGHGreen
Thanks Lynsey,Is there a webpage where I can find this information? This is the only place I've been able to find it.Thanks,Leo

Hi Leo,

There is no webpage showing the income thresholds, this is something our assessors use when processing applications.

Thanks, Angela
Hey with a household income of £22,500 what entitlement is there for the childcare grant for two children
Original post by callumc97
Hey with a household income of £22,500 what entitlement is there for the childcare grant for two children

Hi there,

We can't say for sure until you've made an application with us. Does your course begin in the 22/23 year? If so, we'd recommend applying online as soon as you're able: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login

Once your application is approved we'll tell you if you're entitled to any Childcare Grant.

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 14
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi Leo,

There is no webpage showing the income thresholds, this is something our assessors use when processing applications.

Thanks, Angela

I think the lack of information on how it’s worked out is terrible. The available info implies you will get the £320 if your income is under the fresh hold, no where does it say that the closer to the fresh hold you are the less money you will get. It should be crystal clear upfront that if you are near the fresh hold you will get very little- that way parents can make an informed decision to apply for the tax free child care account instead.
Original post by Mitworbla
I think the lack of information on how it’s worked out is terrible. The available info implies you will get the £320 if your income is under the fresh hold, no where does it say that the closer to the fresh hold you are the less money you will get. It should be crystal clear upfront that if you are near the fresh hold you will get very little- that way parents can make an informed decision to apply for the tax free child care account instead.

Hi there,

Can you please tell us where you're seeing this, could you provide a link?

We can then feed this back to our team.

Thanks, Graeme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending