The Student Room Group

OCR MEI M2 13th Jan

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by eurof
paper wasn't actually that difficult, just had to use your initiative,
saying that i couldn't do the last 3 marker, prove tana = ...

First question was pretty easy ... the angle of the slope was shallow can't remember exactly

Second question - CoM ... was pretty easy aswell ... even though it was strange finding the angle wasn't too hard for both of them the last one (where it tipped)was like ... Tan-1(0.1/Z) can't remember what Z was but again it turned out to be a shallow angle ...

Third question - seemed to be one of the harder moment questions i done can only remember for the very last bit the angle of the T was at 19.1 or something 19 something and T was like 522??? something like that hense the co-eff of friction was just (522sin19.1/R). R was like ... 320?? so whatever that equals ... 0.533 or something like that ...

4th was alright but had to read 3 or 4 times to understand what the question was asking
went 0.02m into the wood, acceleration was like 20 something so the time was really short ..
The second part where they didnt stick together i can't remember it but i used simultaneous equations i remember them both going forwards still although that seemed strange ( worked out the mass to check to make sure it was correct )
the bouncing off the wall in terms of e and u was piece of cake ...
Then BAM tana=1/rte ... you had to use tana = 1/tan(90-a) but i didn't know that so probs lost the marks ... very last question was just as 1/tan(<45) = > 1 and e can't be above 1

HOPE I HELPED GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

are you serious, I hope they don't put the grade boundaries up because of you
Reply 21
I don't really get question from part 2 onwards at all...
Reply 22
I found it quite nice, surprisingly.
I felt quite good about the last question, just some reasonable simultaneous equation work.

...Hope I'm not jynxing myself :tongue:
I did all the questions but the timing was pretty tight. I wasted 10 minutes on the tan one when the tan formula doesn't work so I fiddled about and decided to use the sin and cos formula separately and got the answer. It is definitely harder than usual and I would imagine A to be between 56 - 58 out of 72, maybe lower so we shouldn't worry too much :smile:
Original post by eurof
paper wasn't actually that difficult, just had to use your initiative,
saying that i couldn't do the last 3 marker, prove tana = ...

First question was pretty easy ... the angle of the slope was shallow can't remember exactly

Second question - CoM ... was pretty easy aswell ... even though it was strange finding the angle wasn't too hard for both of them the last one (where it tipped)was like ... Tan-1(0.1/Z) can't remember what Z was but again it turned out to be a shallow angle ...

Third question - seemed to be one of the harder moment questions i done can only remember for the very last bit the angle of the T was at 19.1 or something 19 something and T was like 522??? something like that hense the co-eff of friction was just (522sin19.1/R). R was like ... 320?? so whatever that equals ... 0.533 or something like that ...

4th was alright but had to read 3 or 4 times to understand what the question was asking
went 0.02m into the wood, acceleration was like 20 something so the time was really short ..
The second part where they didnt stick together i can't remember it but i used simultaneous equations i remember them both going forwards still although that seemed strange ( worked out the mass to check to make sure it was correct )
the bouncing off the wall in terms of e and u was piece of cake ...
Then BAM tana=1/rte ... you had to use tana = 1/tan(90-a) but i didn't know that so probs lost the marks ... very last question was just as 1/tan(&lt;45) = &gt; 1 and e can't be above 1

HOPE I HELPED GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a complete blank on the first question - I went from FP2 to this so while I was thinking about imaginary numbers I open the booklet and BAM... power. Went back to it after the other questions and it was pretty simple though :smile:

I agree with the angle of the slope being shallow... IIRC it was arctan or arcsin(3775/8000g)=2.76 degrees either way.

2nd question I didn't like that they didn't tell you the answer like they normally do... hopefully I didn't make any stupid mistakes! For the angle I got arctan(.1/1.2)=4.76 degrees I think...

3rd I think I got that, ~522N was the T I got for part ii) (with the coeff. friction being 0.55)... the last part I got an angle around 20 degrees (can't remember) and T was about 700N (can't believe they literally told you how to do the question!)

Managed to get the tan a bit after a bit of working backwards, the rest of the question was pretty straight forward I thought.

Looks like you did well though - well done :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by 4ever_drifting
I had a complete blank on the first question - I went from FP2 to this so while I was thinking about imaginary numbers I open the booklet and BAM... power. Went back to it after the other questions and it was pretty simple though :smile:

I agree with the angle of the slope being shallow... IIRC it was arctan or arcsin(3775/8000g)=2.76 degrees either way.

2nd question I didn't like that they didn't tell you the answer like they normally do... hopefully I didn't make any stupid mistakes! For the angle I got arctan(.1/1.2)=4.76 degrees I think...

3rd I think I got that, ~522N was the T I got for part ii) (with the coeff. friction being 0.55)... the last part I got an angle around 20 degrees (can't remember) and T was about 700N (can't believe they literally told you how to do the question!)

Managed to get the tan a bit after a bit of working backwards, the rest of the question was pretty straight forward I thought.

You did FP2 and M2 together, how was that
Reply 26
Original post by 4ever_drifting

Yeah i got 4.76 as well for angle just clicked as i read it. seems like we got similar answers so we probably both did pretty well ... i'm not doing FP2 until summer with M3 but i'm much better at Mechanics than Pure so i need to be getting high 90s in M2 and M3 if i want my A* cos probs will only manage low 80s in FP2 :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by albus
You did FP2 and M2 together, how was that

It was alright actually, though I was a bit worried before the exams since I tend to make stupid mistakes after concentrating a long time. FP2 went well though so that put me in a good frame of mind... I dread to think how badly M2 would have gone if FP2 went badly, especially since I get on a lot better with the pure side of maths!

Original post by eurof
Yeah i got 4.76 as well for angle just clicked as i read it. seems like we got similar answers so we probably both did pretty well ... i'm not doing FP2 until summer with M3 but i'm much better at Mechanics than Pure so i need to be getting high 90s in M2 and M3 if i want my A* cos probs will only manage low 80s in FP2 :biggrin: :biggrin:

You've got a while to practise though :smile: I've just started M3 so will be taking it in June like you along with FP3 and M4 :\... haha the things I do to avoid stats and decision maths :smile:
Reply 28
WHERE WERE FRAMEWORKS?!?!?!
Those were my guaranteed marks, i was banking on having full marks on one question.
I also needed a 90 in this - it's so not going to happen!

For the tana = 1/rte i didn't use tan(90-a) either :frown:
I got very confused though but eventually i got tana = 1/e.tana so tan^2a = 1/e
Did i go wrong on that too?

Although some of the answers people have posted are sounding familiar - hopefully grade boundaries will be low D:
Reply 29
yeah, i didn't get the last part of question 4 either. do you think the grade boundaries will be high or low?
Reply 30
Has anyone got the paper?
I missed out the driving force on the first question :frown: otherwise I thought I did pretty well.
Reply 32
I wasn't expecting this response, I found the paper to be pretty standard tbh.
Reply 33
Original post by Constancel
WHERE WERE FRAMEWORKS?!?!?!
Those were my guaranteed marks, i was banking on having full marks on one question.
I also needed a 90 in this - it's so not going to happen!

For the tana = 1/rte i didn't use tan(90-a) either :frown:
I got very confused though but eventually i got tana = 1/e.tana so tan^2a = 1/e
Did i go wrong on that too?

Although some of the answers people have posted are sounding familiar - hopefully grade boundaries will be low D:

You didn't have to use that, did you? :s

Essentially, I just used simultaneous equations, let them equal each other, eventually getting 1/tan(a) = e tan(a)
Hence tan(a) = e^(-1/2)
Reply 34
Oh, and Q 2) when we were finding what IH (I think) makes to the vertical, did anyone get like 70 summet?
I thought it was strange, but I checked the maths and it seemed feasible?
Reply 35
Original post by MHRed
Oh, and Q 2) when we were finding what IH (I think) makes to the vertical, did anyone get like 70 summet?
I thought it was strange, but I checked the maths and it seemed feasible?

I got approx 21, which sounds more feasible, mabye you got 90-ans instead somewere?
Reply 36
would be extremely helpful if anyone has the paper to post? :smile:

I didn't think it was that bad although the last part of question 4 was a bit different to anything I'd seen before, the 7 mark question on question 3 took up a lottt of time as well. I'm hopeful the grade boundary isn't as high as 64 like it was in june, could see it being around 60ish?
Reply 37
Original post by ccfcadam36
I missed out the driving force on the first question :frown: otherwise I thought I did pretty well.

I feel your pain, I couldn't do the last 2 mark question of question 1, as soon as I got out the exam I realised how to do it, so frustrating!
Original post by Benniboi1
I feel your pain, I couldn't do the last 2 mark question of question 1, as soon as I got out the exam I realised how to do it, so frustrating!

meh, i should of only dropped 3marks or something and then another 3 marks for the penultimate question. otherwise, although it was dificult, i felt i answered most parts correctly, i reckon grade boundaries will be lowered as it was definitely one o the trickier paers i have encountered.
Reply 39
Original post by ccfcadam36
meh, i should of only dropped 3marks or something and then another 3 marks for the penultimate question. otherwise, although it was dificult, i felt i answered most parts correctly, i reckon grade boundaries will be lowered as it was definitely one o the trickier paers i have encountered.

same i think! well whenever i think i know what im going to get, i dont do as well as i think and whenever i have no idea how I've done, I seem to do well...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending