The Student Room Group

UNOFFICIAL MARK SCHEME - AQA AS Chemistry 13/01/2012 (UPDATED)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PowerPuff
Drink some water. and breathe.
Why you taking my UNOFFICIAL mark scheme to heart?
If you read the mark scheme, you would of seen that I added about 5 hours ago a alternative view to that answer stating that they may of asked for moles and therefore answer was 0.0260.

& If you read my post you would of saw that I put the same answer as you lot, so before you start virtually attacking people. Take a chill pill. I mean literally take something... you're mental. :K:

Some crazy lady if you read the post above, started attacking me as if my unofficial mark scheme is going to determine her grade, Lady Im not a secret AQA examiner Im just a girl with a memory :s-smilie:

No need to get so narky and snippy about someone trying to help with the mark scheme. Definitely no need for that nasty little comment about Miyata.
Reply 101
Drink some water. and breathe.
Why you taking my UNOFFICIAL mark scheme to heart?
If you read the mark scheme, you would of seen that I added about 5 hours ago a alternative view to that answer stating that they may of asked for moles and therefore answer was 0.0260.

& If you read my post you would of saw that I put the same answer as you lot, so before you start virtually attacking people. Take a chill pill. I mean literally take something... you're mental. :K:

They asked for volume on the one where you a 3:8 ratio,
then asked for moles for the ideal gas equation one.

Some crazy lady if you read the post above, started attacking me as if my unofficial mark scheme is going to determine her grade, Lady Im not a secret AQA examiner Im just a girl with a memory :s-smilie:

Anywho :wink: let me add the octane question

I was stating out things, I really don't care what you've written down yourself, I'm saying how it should be. You should take into consideration what other people tell you, you know the world doesn't spin around you only. You're the one who started attacking me for just trying to clarify uncertainties. And it's FACT that they asked for moles, not "maybe", but seeing how ignorant you are, I can see that it's pointless to continue discussion with you here. Oh and I'm a guy, not a "lady". Plus I haven't even tried to count my marks, seeing how many mistakes there are, I will rather wait for the real results.
Reply 102
Original post by Madara

Original post by Madara
Solid B.

really?
are u sure it is a B, thats too low
Reply 103
Original post by king101
You sure? How's it been for the last few year's for the Jan exam's? Was hoping for an A :frown:, but that's way out now :/.
But a 'B' I would be REALLY happy with, considering how bad I had done.

yes is sure 42/70 is 60 percent... the grade boundaries will never be that low for an A
Reply 104
are you sure there was 5 isomers of hexane? im sure you're right, but I thought it was 3?
Unofficial Mark Scheme AS AQA Chemistry 13/01/12

This is a prediction I have adapted and changed, so don't panic if your questions vary and questions are not in right order but I ensure you the marks are all there, if not this is all from memory remember, play nice and enjoy :biggrin:
[*] - Indicated my side comments

1) State this bond & How it is formed;
Covalent bond (1 mark) Shared pair of electrons *between non-metal atoms (1 mark)

2) Shapes of Molecules questions;
- BF3 (should resemble a trigonal planar shape OR t-shaped (since a previous mark scheme allows both), incorporated with two lone pairs) (1 mark)
- Angle *There is debate with this so these are what most people have said
- 120 (115-120) OR 90 (85-90) (1 mark)

- BrF4 (Should resemble Square Planar Shape, incorporated with two lone pairs) (1 mark)
- Angle: 90 (1 mark)

3) Why does KbrF4 have a higher melting point?, explain in terms of bonding.
*Therefore including structure wouldn’t gain/loose any marks if added
- Ionic bonding (1 mark) electrostatic forces/attraction between K+ and Br- oppositely charged ions (1 marks) require a lot of energy to overcome (1 mark)

4) Volume question, to be converted from cm3 to m3 s
PV = nRT or V = nRT/P (1 mark)
Correctly changing 101kpa to 101,000 pa & cm3 to m3 by x by (10 to the power of -6) (1 mark)
Answer is 0.0260 (1 marks)
*If you got 0.0175, or something like that it is because you forgot to convert cm3 tom3 or didnt convert it properly but all is not lost, since you get marks for working out

. Calculation questions for Volume of Nitric acid = 0.0524 dm3

*my working out:
8.14 / 207.2 = 0.0393
Then to get moles of n02 you times by 8/3 (due to 3:8 ratio)
so 0.0393 x 8/3 = 0.1048 moles of n02
( 2 marks - for correct working out)

then 0.1048/ 2.00 (conc) to get volumes = 0.0524 dm3 (1 mark for correct answer and unit)

5) Which element in group 2, has the largest atomic radius?
- Lithium (1 mark)
*I assure you, they did not ask why or why there was a trend, ignore any unofficial mark scheme which say so.

6) How would HCL be labelled?
Irritant/Corrosive/Toxic (1 mark)

7) Electron Configuration; 1s2 2s2 2p6
. (N) 3- (1 mark)
. (F) - (1 mark)

*I also included the proton number/atomic number, if you also did so I highly doubt they will penalise marks for addition information, as long as it does not contradict.

. Why does Fluorine have a low melting Point?
Simple Molecular ( 1 mark)
Weak van de Waals forces between molecules ( 1 mark)

8).Name/State Formulae for Lithium Nitride
Li3N (1 mark)

. Calcium Nitride Empirical Formulae
Correctly stating percentage of Nitrogen (1 mark)
Correct method used ( 1 mark)
Ca3n2 (1 mark)

9) Balance Equation for Lead Nitrate
2___ + 2___ -----> 4___ + 1___
* You did not need to include 1 in front of the 02 at the end as this goes without saying.

10) Sulphur Compounds impact on Environment?
- (Contributed to) Acid Rain (1 mark)

11) Equation to show how CO & NO is removed in a Catalytic Converter
2NO + 2CO -> N2 + 2CO2 ( 1 mark)

12) Equation to show how Si3N4 is formed (1 mark)

3Si + 2N2 -> 3SiN4
OR
1/5 Si2+ N4 --> Si3N4
*There is debate in this however multiples are definitely allowed.

13) Atom Economy Question
Correct method (2 marks)
Correct Answer 76.4% (1 mark)
* Cant remember to what decimal place but it 76.??

14) Why does Carbon have a high melting point?
Macromolecular (1 mark)
Each carbon is covalently bonded to four other carbons (making a tetrahedral shake), networking throughout structure (1 mark)
Strong Covalent bonds ( 1 mark)
Alot of energy is required to overcome/break bonds (1 mark)

15) Completing Graph for Nitrogen
Nitrogen should be plotted with an X, lower than all other elements but NOT on 0.
( 1 mark)

16) What raw material is Hexane Obtained from?
Crude Oil ( 1 mark)

17)
. What substance/material would be used to remove Sulphur
CaO (Calcium Oxide) or CaCO3 (Limstone) ( 1 mark)
. Why is this used?
If you used CaO - It neutralised acid in Sulphur impurity (there is debate for this, I didnt personally use Ca0 so cannot give judgement) (1 mark)
. If used CaCO3 - Limestone can be easily accessed/high in abundance/ there is high supply (1 mark)

18) Draw how H-F molecules interact..
Partial Charges correctly indicated (1 mark)
3 Lone pairs of Fluoride ( 1 mark)
Hydrogen Bond (- - - -) Between Delta Plus H and Fluoride lone pair of a different molecules ( 1 mark)

19) Which type of Cracking produces high % of Alkenes?
- Thermal Cracking ( 1 mark)
State conditions required
- High Temperate and Pressure ( 1 mark)
*You could also gain these marks if you said the actual temperature and pressure required

20) State why Zeolite/Catalyst is used in Catalytic converters
- (Extremely) Large surface area for reaction to take place (1 mark)

21) How many isomers does Hexane have
5 (1 mark)

22) Name the Compound shown
2,2-dichloro-3-methlypentane

.Type of Isomer shown?
Chain Isomerism/Isomer ( 1 mark)

23) Empirical forum ale for compound
C3H6CL (1 mark)

24) How is Krypton Ionised
Electron Gun (1 mark)
bombards/hits Krpton Sample ( 1 mark)
Knocking off electrons forming possitive ions/1+ ions/2+ions ( 1 marks)

25) Ar of Krpton
For correct method (2 marks)
Correct answer to one decimal place 84.0 (1 mark)

. Give reasons why your Ar is different to that of the periodic table (1 mark)
*Again there is debate; so these are the 2 most logical answers people gave
- Mass Spectrometer used for Ar in Periodic table was of a higher resolution than that given in the table therefore answer is more precise/accurate
OR
- Fragments may of fallen off before ions reached detector

(The reason I havent included the meteorite answers because Krpton is the same whatever planet, adding meteorite was just a way of applying knowledge to real-life situations it didn't play any real part in the question for example "Sanjeev and Alice did an experiment" you wouldnt say Sanjeev is more reliable simple because he a boy?, the fact the krpton was apart of the meteorite was a decoy it played no part.)

26) Equation for 1st IE of Krypton.

Kr(g) + e- -> Kr+(g) + 2e-

Or

Kr(g) -> Kr+(g) + e-

For correct state symbols (1 mark)
for Correct equation (1 mark)

27) Explain peak at 42
- (When Krpton sample ionised) a 2+ ion charge/double charged ion was created ( 1 mark)

-

27) Which element deviates from Period 2, general trend, from Li to N
Boron (1 mark)
*If you said Oxygen this would be wrong since they've given you a boundary of from Lithium to Nitrogen

.Explain why
Outer electron is 2p Orbital, Higher energy level than Be in 2s ( 1 mark)
More shielding (as more inner main energy shells) (1 mark)

28) Processed used to obtain Hexane from Crude Oil
Fractional Distillation ( 1 mark)

29) Why it is not possible to get pure N0 on its own? (1 mark)
*There is debate with this answer; I have been suggested the most and make the most logical sense

- NO reacts with water (vapour) in air to form H2N03 (Nitric Acid)
OR
- NO reacts with air to form Nitrogen Dioxide?

(- The reason why 'N0 escpaing into air' wont be accepted is because, you havent explained how that makes it impure? If the question was why can N0 not be 100% obtained/collected which is the next question then that answer would would but its talking about purity.)

. Why is it not possible to get 100% yield of N0 (1 mark)
- Not high enough Temperature/Pressure for Lead Nitrate to completely decompose
OR
- N0 make escape into air, due to being a gas

There was also an equation for write equation for incomplete/complete combustion of an Octane
(cant remember)
but this was (1 mark)

Surely for 29) it would be because NO(g) wasnt the only product in a gaseous state as O2(g) was produced aswell? so it would be hard to separate them to form pure NO
Reply 106
Original post by MrMeep2580
Surely for 29) it would be because NO(g) wasnt the only product in a gaseous state as O2(g) was produced aswell? so it would be hard to separate them to form pure NO

thats what I put too, it has to be worth a mark
Original post by king101
What grade would be 38-42?

We don't know the boundaries yet but you can have a look at previous years at http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/
Probably a C on this year's paper as it was harder than past papers. Or a very low B if youre incredibly lucky :rolleyes:

My teacher went through the paper with me today and I actually feel better about it. He was doing it in our lesson :smile: Although it made me realise I totally missed the graph question where we had to put a cross on Nitrogen or something.
Really need to stop stressing out over this though, argh, I'm obsessed :frown: Never felt so bad about an exam.
also when in the paper was the Ionisation of Krypton question? cuz I think i missed it D:
Reply 109
lol for 29) i wrote .. NO is a gas. it is hard to seperate gasses
Original post by JenniS
are you sure there was 5 isomers of hexane? im sure you're right, but I thought it was 3?

There are 5:

Hexane

2-methylpentane

3-methylpentane

2,2-dimethylbutane

2,3-dimethylbutane

It is pentane that has 3 isomers. :smile:

That's what I said/put :biggrin:
Reply 112

Thats your opinion, this unofficial mark scheme is mine.
If you want an answer email AQA,

Also I think for the argument about hard to seperate you would of had to have stated the molecule it would form together, that would be hard to seperate, just stating 'hard to separate' doesnt seem very AS standard, but thats just me :biggrin:
Lots of unnecessary nastiness on this thread.

I put acidic, would that get a mark or not? It is not an 'official' label but it is applying knowledge that is in the syllabus, so I am hopeful.

- Ionic bonding (1 mark) electrostatic forces/attraction between K+ and Br- oppositely charged ions (1 marks) require a lot of energy to overcome (1 mark)

Macromolecular (1 mark)
Each carbon is covalently bonded to four other carbons (making a tetrahedral shake), networking throughout structure (1 mark)

IIRC, the bonding questions never have any marking points on 'requiring more energy to break the bonds'. The 'final point' is usually just 'the bonds are strong/weak' so I don't think the emboldened points will be on the actual MS.

3Si + 2N2 -> 3SiN4
OR
1/5 Si2+ N4 --> Si3N4

I thought Silicon was macromolecular? How can it be Si2? BTW the emboldened equation doesn't balance.

Macromolecular (1 mark)

What about graphite or fullerenes (I know they aren't on the syllabus but still...)?

[QUOTE=PowerPuff;35828609
Crude Oil ( 1 mark)

What about petroleum?

Zeolite is not used in catalytic converters! (That's catalytic cracking.) I think the question you refer to was 'name a catalyst used in a catalytic converter' and that was 'platinum/palladium/rhodium'. (Now that I think about it, maybe that question wasn't on either... :confused:) There was definitely a question where the answer was 'more surface area' though...

Electron Gun (1 mark)

One marking point will definitely be 'high energy/fast moving' electrons. Also, I don't think they would credit mentioning 'electron gun' for this question.

- Mass Spectrometer used for Ar in Periodic table was of a higher resolution than that given in the table therefore answer is more precise/accurate
OR

(The reason I havent included the meteorite answers because Krpton is the same whatever planet, adding meteorite was just a way of applying knowledge to real-life situations it didn't play any real part in the question for example "Sanjeev and Alice did an experiment" you wouldnt say Sanjeev is more reliable simple because he a boy?, the fact the krpton was apart of the meteorite was a decoy it played no part.)

No it isnt! That is a valid response. All elements have different abundancies depending on where they come from (that is why meteorites are analysed!) I don't get your point with the 'Sanjeev' analogy as they are completely different things.

OR

Impure lead nitrate?

- Lithium (1 mark)
*I assure you, they did not ask why or why there was a trend, ignore any unofficial mark scheme which say so.

Yes, but they did ask to name and explain the trend in ionisation energy - it was the question right after the Lithium one. Also, I think it was for period 2, not group 2 (if it was group 2 then we both got it wrong as i) Li is not in group 2 and ii) it has the lowest atomic radius for its group).
I disagree with a few other things in here, but I need to get some M1 revision done! Thanks for taking the time to write/edit this.
Reply 115
Original post by When you see it...

Original post by When you see it...
I put acidic, would that get a mark or not? It is not an 'official' label but it is applying knowledge that is in the syllabus, so I am hopeful.

IIRC, the bonding questions never have any marking points on 'requiring more energy to break the bonds'. The 'final point' is usually just 'the bonds are strong/weak' so I don't think the emboldened points will be on the actual MS.

I thought Silicon was macromolecular? How can it be Si2? BTW the emboldened equation doesn't balance.

What about graphite or fullerenes (I know they aren't on the syllabus but still...)?

What about petroleum?

Zeolite is not used in catalytic converters! (That's catalytic cracking.) I think the question you refer to was 'name a catalyst used in a catalytic converter' and that was 'platinum/palladium/rhodium'. (Now that I think about it, maybe that question wasn't on either... :confused:) There was definitely a question where the answer was 'more surface area' though...

One marking point will definitely be 'high energy/fast moving' electrons. Also, I don't think they would credit mentioning 'electron gun' for this question.

No it isnt! That is a valid response. All elements have different abundancies depending on where they come from (that is why meteorites are analysed!) I don't get your point with the 'Sanjeev' analogy as they are completely different things.

Impure lead nitrate?

Yes, but they did ask to name and explain the trend in ionisation energy - it was the question right after the Lithium one. Also, I think it was for period 2, not group 2 (if it was group 2 then we both got it wrong as i) Li is not in group 2 and ii) it has the lowest atomic radius for its group).
I disagree with a few other things in here, but I need to get some M1 revision done! Thanks for taking the time to write/edit this.

interesting......
Reply 116
[QUOTE="it...;35928743" When="When" you="you" see="see"]I put acidic, would that get a mark or not? It is not an 'official' label but it is applying knowledge that is in the syllabus, so I am hopeful.

You won't get a mark for that alone. I saw this question in a GCSE past paper and it had to be corrosive/toxic/irritant if you said one of these also noted it was acidic then yes you could get mark/

Yeah some questions to do with melting point/IE vary whether to add this or not, I just put it in for causion.

Which is why I put it as an alternative, jeeze.

No.

What about petroleum?

Crude Oil and Petroleum are the same thing, so yes.

Information confusion I mean't catalytic converter :rolleyes:

It was 3 marks so it would have to be. & in the mark scheme 'fast moving/high energy' is all alternatives to bombards you dont get extra marks for them.

:K: Well then give yourself a mark,, this is only a prediction. chill.
Impure lead nitrate?

I doubt that, it's more to do with the reaction and not the product itself.

They asked for what element deviated from the trend in ionisation energy NOT atomic radii COLOR]

Of course you will disagree, but I'm not here to please everyone, its not possible.
I used the answers that a majority had said on the actual exam thread and cut it down to those which were most logicial. At the end of the day all we can do it sit and wait for the real results/ms, this like I said in the original post is JUST a prediction.
:biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 117

Of course you will disagree, but I'm not here to please everyone, its not possible.
I used the answers that a majority had said on the actual exam thread and cut it down to those which were most logicial. At the end of the day all we can do it sit and wait for the real results/ms, this like I said in the original post is JUST a prediction.

thanks!!!!
i think we wasted your time heh!
sorry:colondollar::colondollar::colondollar:

I still don't get how Si can be Si2? Also why don't you take into account graphite/fullerenes?
...and they definitely asked for the trend in ionisation energy. :yes:
So why exactly wouldn't impure lead nitrate get a mark?
Unofficial Mark Scheme AS AQA Chemistry 13/01/12

This is a prediction I have adapted and changed, so don't panic if your questions vary and questions are not in right order but I ensure you the marks are all there, if not this is all from memory remember, play nice and enjoy :biggrin:
[*] - Indicated my side comments

1) State this bond & How it is formed;
Covalent bond (1 mark) Shared pair of electrons *between non-metal atoms (1 mark)

2) Shapes of Molecules questions;
- BF3 (should resemble a trigonal planar shape OR t-shaped (since a previous mark scheme allows both), incorporated with two lone pairs) (1 mark)
- Angle *There is debate with this so these are what most people have said
- 120 (115-120) OR 90 (85-90) (1 mark)

- BrF4 (Should resemble Square Planar Shape, incorporated with two lone pairs) (1 mark)
- Angle: 90 (1 mark)

4) Volume question, to be converted from cm3 to m3 s
PV = nRT or V = nRT/P (1 mark)
Correctly changing 101kpa to 101,000 pa & cm3 to m3 by x by (10 to the power of -6) (1 mark)
Answer is 0.0260 (1 marks)
*If you got 0.0175, or something like that it is because you forgot to convert cm3 tom3 or didnt convert it properly but all is not lost, since you get marks for working out

. Calculation questions for Volume of Nitric acid = 0.0524 dm3

*my working out:
8.14 / 207.2 = 0.0393
Then to get moles of n02 you times by 8/3 (due to 3:8 ratio)
so 0.0393 x 8/3 = 0.1048 moles of n02
( 2 marks - for correct working out)

then 0.1048/ 2.00 (conc) to get volumes = 0.0524 dm3 (1 mark for correct answer and unit)

- Lithium (1 mark)

7) Electron Configuration; 1s2 2s2 2p6
. (N) 3- (1 mark)
. (F) - (1 mark)

*I also included the proton number/atomic number, if you also did so I highly doubt they will penalise marks for addition information, as long as it does not contradict.

. Why does Fluorine have a low melting Point?
Simple Molecular ( 1 mark)
Weak van de Waals forces between molecules ( 1 mark)

8).Name/State Formulae for Lithium Nitride
Li3N (1 mark)

. Calcium Nitride Empirical Formulae
Correctly stating percentage of Nitrogen (1 mark)
Correct method used ( 1 mark)
Ca3n2 (1 mark)

9) Balance Equation for Lead Nitrate
2___ + 2___ -----> 4___ + 1___
* You did not need to include 1 in front of the 02 at the end as this goes without saying.

10) Sulphur Compounds impact on Environment?
- (Contributed to) Acid Rain (1 mark)

11) Equation to show how CO & NO is removed in a Catalytic Converter
2NO + 2CO -> N2 + 2CO2 ( 1 mark)

3Si + 2N2 -> 3SiN4
OR
1/5 Si2+ N4 --> Si3N4

13) Atom Economy Question
Correct method (2 marks)
Correct Answer 76.4% (1 mark)
* Cant remember to what decimal place but it 76.??

Macromolecular (1 mark)

15) Completing Graph for Nitrogen
Nitrogen should be plotted with an X, lower than all other elements but NOT on 0.
( 1 mark)

Crude Oil ( 1 mark)

17)
. What substance/material would be used to remove Sulphur
CaO (Calcium Oxide) or CaCO3 (Limstone) ( 1 mark)
. Why is this used?
If you used CaO - It neutralised acid in Sulphur impurity (there is debate for this, I didnt personally use Ca0 so cannot give judgement) (1 mark)
. If used CaCO3 - Limestone can be easily accessed/high in abundance/ there is high supply (1 mark)

18) Draw how H-F molecules interact..
Partial Charges correctly indicated (1 mark)
3 Lone pairs of Fluoride ( 1 mark)
Hydrogen Bond (- - - -) Between Delta Plus H and Fluoride lone pair of a different molecules ( 1 mark)

19) Which type of Cracking produces high % of Alkenes?
- Thermal Cracking ( 1 mark)
State conditions required
- High Temperate and Pressure ( 1 mark)
*You could also gain these marks if you said the actual temperature and pressure required

21) How many isomers does Hexane have
5 (1 mark)

22) Name the Compound shown
2,2-dichloro-3-methlypentane

.Type of Isomer shown?
Chain Isomerism/Isomer ( 1 mark)

23) Empirical forum ale for compound
C3H6CL (1 mark)

Electron Gun (1 mark)

25) Ar of Krpton
For correct method (2 marks)
Correct answer to one decimal place 84.0 (1 mark)

OR

26) Equation for 1st IE of Krypton.

Kr(g) + e- -> Kr+(g) + 2e-

Or

Kr(g) -> Kr+(g) + e-

For correct state symbols (1 mark)
for Correct equation (1 mark)

27) Explain peak at 42
- (When Krpton sample ionised) a 2+ ion charge/double charged ion was created ( 1 mark)

-

27) Which element deviates from Period 2, general trend, from Li to N
Boron (1 mark)
*If you said Oxygen this would be wrong since they've given you a boundary of from Lithium to Nitrogen

.Explain why
Outer electron is 2p Orbital, Higher energy level than Be in 2s ( 1 mark)
More shielding (as more inner main energy shells) (1 mark)

28) Processed used to obtain Hexane from Crude Oil
Fractional Distillation ( 1 mark)

29) Why it is not possible to get pure N0 on its own? (1 mark)
*There is debate with this answer; I have been suggested the most and make the most logical sense

- NO reacts with water (vapour) in air to form H2N03 (Nitric Acid)
OR
- NO reacts with air to form Nitrogen Dioxide?
OR
- NO was not only gaseous product so may of reacted with 02 to form N03 which may be hard to seperate?
*predictions here people
(- The reason why 'N0 escpaing into air' wont be accepted is because, you havent explained how that makes it impure? If the question was why can N0 not be 100% obtained/collected which is the next question then that answer would would but its talking about purity.)

OR

There was also an equation for write equation for incomplete/complete combustion of an Octane
(cant remember)
but this was (1 mark)

BTW NO and O2 wouldn't necessarily have to react to make them hard to seperate - just the fact that they are both gases makes them difficult to seperate (they are in the same reaction mixture, all gases have the same density etc.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending